• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Blu-ray gets Managed Copy next year, requires new hardware

goji    30

Next, ICT flag to be finally implemented making the switch to HDMI compliant components an HD reality.

DaDude    46
Which doesn't make it a better format. It just means that PS3 and specific types of movies and 2 for 1 sales worked better.

Yes, exactly. Had the Xbox 360 have a HD-DVD drive, instead of requiring people to buy a separate one, then HD-DVD would have won. But no. Microsoft had to make them separate in order to make extra cash.

KoL    36
To be honest with this Managed Copy thing being DRM infested and allowing the Content providers to lock your 'Copy' and sell you related content or extra copies I see this thing as something I would never ever use. I own two Bluray players but I'd never use Managed copy so for me its a none issue. If I want a copy of my Blurays I will rip them with PC Software in to my chosen formats clean of DRM and I feel as a consumer that is my right, I own the Disc, I own the 1's and 0's burned on to it and I should be able to back those up however I want in whichever Format I want and I should be able to transcode them for other devices I own. So again Managed Copy = No benefit to me at all.

+1 :yes:

Vice    1,593
Which is illegal. Most people don't want to do illegal things and ripping. I know I'm just getting too old now and want things to work properly and make legal copies which is why Managed Copy was a thing I was looking for.

What is illegal about making a Backup of the content you already own. I didn't sign any contracts stating I am renting content so I should be able to rip and back up any discs I legally purchased. Also your argument about things just working properly only when it is 'sanctioned' and legal is silly because if anything it has been shown time and time again that DRM is more prone to failure and limits consumer choice.

I have a question, if Ripping media is illegal why does iTunes allow you to rip CD's for your iPod? - Is it really illegal or does what your saying only apply to Movies?

What I am sick of is these companies making me rebuy content. I'll give you an example.

Buy a Movie on Bluray for your Home Theatre.

Want that on your iPod? - Buy a Digital Copy

Buy a Song on CD or on iTunes for your Home Stereo

Want that same song to be used on your Phone? - Buy a Digital Copy

If I already own it why am I having to buy it again just so I can enjoy it in another place or on another device. When the only limitation in moving it from one device to another is an arbitrary padlock placed on the media by the content creator.

I feel like getting down on my knees in some kind of sarcastic worship to the Bluray gods for finally granting us a single free copy of our media that we already own, oh thank you Bluray Gods whatever would I do without your shackles around my Living room :rolleyes:

Andrew Lyle    336

This is just like the Blu-ray Live thing, that required most customers to go purchase a brand new player. Now with this, some people will need to purchase their third blu-ray player in almost 2 years. Sad.

I'll just stick with my current player, no need for a feature I will probably never use.

Ruciz    2

Manage Copies or whatever is a load of crock, used to swindle more $$$ out of the honest consumer with feelings of false security.

The DCMA prevents time shifting and format shifting I do believe though, so using programs like slysoft in the USA, is, illegal. Land of the free? I think not.

IT was avoided for a reason, it wasn't integrated so people who legally want the feature pay out their ass when it caught on, having to buy new hardware... like the OP is planning on doing, or maybe to give consumers something to bitch about... not sure. Both will happen though.

Anyway, so who benefits you ask?

People who use a $99 PC BD-R/W drive and a slick slysoft program, thats who. MC has been around since the dawn of BD-R discs, just a DIY method. Its self-managed, really no different than managed copies as how does that exactly work unless it can call home to ensure the disc wasn't managed already from someone else? Maybe I need to look into the specs more..

Its NOT the people who paid out their ass for a top of the line player, which is now outdated 3 months down the road. Personally I have given up into buying into all this, the cutting edge always bleeds - or sony can always figure out how to cut you again. I personally hope sony and their bluray format crash and burn never to be seen again.

DaDude    46
This is just like the Blu-ray Live thing, that required most customers to go purchase a brand new player.

I have BD-Live on my player because mine was manufactured this year, but I don't intend to use it. Same with Managed Copy. I don't plan to use that either. I just bought Blu-ray for the HD picture and sound. That's it.

+StevoFC    21

I would never choose to use a DRM limited way of copying a disk...ever.

This "feature" is totally irrelevant to me. I won't be buying new hardware just for this...

Joel    27

You don't own the movie any more than you own Windows. You purchased a license to use the movie. When they tell you not to copy the disc, it's not just a piddly little detail, it's a lawful request. If you owned the 1s and 0s, you'd be free to copy it all you want and give multiple copies to friends and family. You're not allowed to do that, are you?

Boz    1,324
Manage Copies or whatever is a load of crock, used to swindle more $$ out of the honest consumer with feelings of false security.

Well I"m not sure you understand what managed copy is .. I don't want to sound like a broken record but managed copy was actually a good idea. It was supposed to fix the problem that we had with DVD and backing your stuff up in case your disc goes bad via legal method. The way it was supposed to work was that a player would support flag recognition and when you legally make a copy of your disc on your computer, it would just "phone" AACS servers, get a permission and make your copy. Then you could play back your copies on your player without problems.

What HD DVD did right was that it had mandatory managed copy support from the start so the players would play back those discs without problems and need to purchase new players. The reason you couldn't do that back in the day was because AACS license wasn't finalized. The bad thing about Blu-ray implementation now is that none of the players will support this, so you will have to buy new players in order to play back those copied discs.

It's really dissapointing, especially since I've personally expected that with Profile 2.0 and BD-Live player Blu-ray specifications were finalized. Unfortunately this really doesn't seem so.

What will be even more dissapointing is that when they start implementing 3d and other features to the players, you'll have to buy them all over again.

houlty    2

to be honest, i dont see the point in managed copies for me. i wont need another copy to keep and play at another location, so it'll only serve a purpose if i break a disk... but even then, the amount it will cost me to make a backup of every disk i own will cost a lot more (discs, burner etc..) than it will cost me to replace the few (if any) disks i am likely to break.

i haven't read the whole thread though, so if there's another purpose i haven't considered i apologise.

TruckWEB    480

I'm not going to use this feature, I think it's overrated. In any case, I'll kiss my PS3, since it probably going to get another firmware update to support this.... Like all the other Profile update. No need for a new player!

Chemaz    31

Since this allows the copy of ur BD film, surely ur player needs a hdd to store it? So isnt that the reason for requiring new hardware for this function, as in a player that has storage? as theres not point givin the update to old players that cant use it...

DaDude    46
Since this allows the copy of ur BD film, surely ur player needs a hdd to store it? So isnt that the reason for requiring new hardware for this function, as in a player that has storage? as theres not point givin the update to old players that cant use it...

I was wondering the same thing.

TruckWEB    480

Blu-Ray burner exist for PC now....

DPyro    769

IMO managed copy will be as broken as digital copy. I tried to get a copy of some blu-ray discs for PSP, and the crappy software on the disc doesn't even work. So basically, just rip a copy instead. A hell of a lot easier with no DRM to deal with.

DaDude    46
IMO managed copy will be as broken as digital copy.

Exactly. I've never used Digital Copy. So, I doubt I'll use Managed Copy.