Introducing Opera Unite. Today, we reinvent the Web.

Just noticed this... wow.

EDIT: looking over some of this... makes me want to download Opera 10 now, and give this a chance. I'll test out the features, especially the web server, then report back.

post-61366-1245140420_thumb.png

Continuing our legacy of innovation, we present a technology that will enable you to get more from your browser ? and the Web ? than you have ever experienced. Opera Unite marks a milestone in our march towards online freedom.

Get started at http://unite.opera.com/

With Opera 10, we are introducing a new technology called Opera Unite, radically extending what you are able to do online. Opera Unite harnesses the power of today's fast connections and hardware, allowing all of us to help define the future landscape of the Web, one computer at a time. Read about how Opera Unite is going to change the way we interact on the Web on labs.opera.com.

Playing around with the Music and File Sharing apps - it's really impressive how easy it is to get working. Especially with the music since you don't have to worry about flash, silverlight or other weird codecs - just click the play button.

OK, well, that's a new idea for a browser, but this is already very easy to achieve on at least a Mac, as they come with Apache web servers preconfigured and preinstalled, so all there is to it, is to click a single check box in the user preferences. Then everything you place in your "Web" folder will be available online. Mp3 files, blogs, whatever. So you basically have your 250 GB server or whatever. Use dyndns to get a good easy-to-remember free host name. And that doesn't need you to run a particular web browser to use the feature either -- one of two main disadvantages with this idea.

The other disadvantage is the killer to me, and why I don't use my Mac much in this way, even if it's very simple and free, and despite my 100 Mbps upload rate ISP. Because all your data, everything, of course becomes unavailable as soon as you turn off your computer, or it falls into hibernation. Then your buddies or whoever you're doing this for will become annoyed, and you will likely switch to using a normal cheap traditional web server instead, with 99% uptime. "Cheap" as in $50 / year, and you won't need to use Opera Unite.

Well, that's at least how I look at this.

Good work by Opera on working around all the hassles with personal web servers though, like the ease of use, proxying, and setting up host names very easily.

Its awesome. I really hope this catches on and we get a lot more such kewl services powered by Opera Unite.

Amazingly enough Opera has lived upto all the hype it created.

Looks like if you want to share any of this with your friends, they need Opera as well... lame.

You don't. If you visit your page, there's a public link (over http) that you can share with friends.

Looks like if you want to share any of this with your friends, they need Opera as well... lame.

Well that's one way for Opera to gain market share.

Sent the public link to multiple friends, all of them reply back saying "doesn't work, just says this device isn't running" even though I checked and they are all on, and set to 'Public'

This seems to be a way to gain market share... can't blame em.

Uhm... It's in alpha don't forget.

Haha, the fridge thing is awesome. I'm liking this Unite stuff. :)

So, it turns your PC into a webserver? Hmm... I hope they've made damn sure it's got sufficient security built in to it to protect you from hacking...

So, it turns your PC into a webserver? Hmm... I hope they've made damn sure it's got sufficient security built in to it to protect you from hacking...

Hacking? What is this you speak of?

It's quite an interesting addition to the browser for sure, but I don't see how this reinvents the web. It may make things EASIER for some people. But not reinvent anything :)

@FloatingFatMan I agree. I hope they do.

@chAos972 yeah, I understand that... but I think this was done intentionally to gain market share. Let's face it, nice new product that requires their specific browser to use. It's nice and all, just wish it had the option of going to other browsers... but then again, there could be a real reason why it's just for Opera 10.

That is a downside.

Doesn't look like. Just replace the unite:// with http:// and you will be able to access as a client. Tried the Media player, photo viewer and fridge from chrome. All works.

You need to use Unite only to manage the services.

Well as for security being mentioned, maybe the fact it only works with Opera (I haven't looked at it yet so I can't comment if it works with other browsers) is so they can make sure it's a secure deal?

Sent the public link to multiple friends, all of them reply back saying "doesn't work, just says this device isn't running" even though I checked and they are all on, and set to 'Public'

This seems to be a way to gain market share... can't blame em.

i've managed to use chrome to download jpg's and gif's from http://home.thj4.operaunite.com/file_sharing/ , which is apparently one of those file sharing servers someone has set up to run...

RE Security: I'm not sure if you're actually connecting directly or if the opera server is acting as a proxy.

@chAos972 yeah, I understand that... but I think this was done intentionally to gain market share. Let's face it, nice new product that requires their specific browser to use. It's nice and all, just wish it had the option of going to other browsers... but then again, there could be a real reason why it's just for Opera 10.

You need Opera to run your own services, but not to access others'.