Introducing Opera Unite. Today, we reinvent the Web.

OK, well, that's a new idea for a browser
No. There's a Firefox extension for that but not with all the easy click/install features.

Yes, you can do this with your own server but the average Joe won't try and figure that out.

Someone let me know when I can actually find what I need in Opera's preferences menu.

Assuming you can read, navigating the preferences is easy, what can't you find?

Stop with this bloat issue. It's not bloat.

Nothing in Opera is active until you use it. And it doesn't use any more resources even if enabled.

I've tried every browser out there and Opera is the most responsive and resource friendly browser I've used.

"Feature bloat" is different than resource bloat.

Feature bloat is what happens when a program tries to do everything. This is just another example of this.

"Application Suites" are never preferable to something that accomplishes a few well define tasks well.

Opera is now a web browser and mail client and a torrent program and a widget program and a virtual web server. :x

That's just too much.

Somehow they keep cramming more and more extra services into this browser. Personally I don't care for services like torrent downloading, file exchange, email clients, widget management etc. I already have applications for some of those purposes, or not if I don't use them. I don't need widgets in a browser if Dashboard provides the same thing, only better.

I'd rather have the company focussing on a slim version of Opera that actually integrates into the OS and makes use of the frameworks and native GUI the platform already provides. IMO, the non-standard interface sticks out like a sore toe on Mac OS X and they've done very little to actually improve it in recent years.

Opera is now a web browser and mail client and a torrent program and a widget program and a virtual web server. :x

That's just too much.

Just because or can you explain why this is a bad?

Somehow they keep cramming more and more extra services into this browser. Personally I don't care for services like torrent downloading, file exchange, email clients, widget management etc. I already have applications for some of those purposes, or not if I don't use them. I don't need widgets in a browser if Dashboard provides the same thing, only better.

I'd rather have the company focussing on a slim version of Opera that actually integrates into the OS and makes use of the frameworks and native GUI the platform already provides. IMO, the non-standard interface sticks out like a sore toe on Mac OS X and they've done very little to actually improve it in recent years.

At this point I agree they should have a "lite" version

all in all this service is pretty useless if nobody can connect to me :(

http://home.carmatic.operaunite.com ... im just leaving it on in case it might suddenly work..

::edit:: ahh , if you look at the lower left corner of the opera window you can see the icon for Unite... turns out it was showing an error all this time... im using it through a VPN , so the upnp was breaking it i guess...

now the status is showing 1 person connected in the last 5 minutes, 1.76mb uploaded, etc etc...

actually i think that one person connected is myself... hmph...

Edited by carmatic

Just because or can you explain why this is a bad?
Off the top of my head:

Breaks standard system navigation. Requires a user to learn new ways to switch between tasks.

Adds unnecessary density to shared dialogs.

this isnt bloat... "feature bloat" is only bad if it negatively affects the programs performance and usability; unite doesn’t hurt anything, its just more features to an already comprehensive web experience.

so far after playing with it, it kinda like it, kinda dont.. will wait for the final version to release judgment.

another innovation from opera, cant wait to see how else they build on it.

this isnt bloat... "feature bloat" is only bad if it negatively affects the programs performance and usability; unite doesn?t hurt anything, its just more features to an already comprehensive web experience.

torrenting, IRC, email client <- none of these things are Web based.

all in all this service is pretty useless if nobody can connect to me :(

http://home.carmatic.operaunite.com ... im just leaving it on in case it might suddenly work..

::edit:: ahh , if you look at the lower left corner of the opera window you can see the icon for Unite... turns out it was showing an error all this time... im using it through a VPN , so the upnp was breaking it i guess...

now the status is showing 1 person connected in the last 5 minutes, 1.76mb uploaded, etc etc...

I get the 'device unavailable' error message (from FF 3.5, Opera 10, IE 8) :(

torrenting, IRC, email client <- none of these things are Web based.

I agree. They're really trying to do TOO much with a browser and it's just not needed. They're kinda making the same mistake Netscape did when they're released Communicator.

The media player will actually be pretty useful for me I like this feature. Also the skin fixes make it look a lot better now but the menus are still extremely ugly in vista/win7.

All these features, and STILL smaller than Firefox. :D

I actually love all the bundled features in Opera. Mouse gestures, customisable keyboard shortcuts, adblocking, noscript, flash blocker, irc client, and now a web server.

i think i might have found a trick... to see if Unite really works, go to the page with a different browser on the same computer... doesnt have to be on a different computer

now if only i find a trick to actually make it work... looking at tcpview, it gets to the syn_sent stage then drops...

the opera help pages mention something about a direct connection on port 8840, and tcpview shows it trying to connect to its proxy p12-08.opera.com:16680 ....

Edited by carmatic

Try disconnecting from the web and using those.

You disconnect from "the web" by not refreshing a www page. Web is www. IRC, P2P and email aren't web (except for webmail front-ends to email).

i dont know if im breaking any of my isp's rules by doing this, and i dont know if theyre actually blocking it or something....

why cant cool things like this just work

the help pages say that i could allow a direct connection by opening port 8840, but for some reason no connection with this port ever shows up on tcpview??????

YYYEESSSS it works now... connection through the proxy server...according to tcpview it established a connection and it did not drop, and when i checked it in chrome it worked!

Edited by carmatic