Introducing Opera Unite. Today, we reinvent the Web.

Looks like if you want to share any of this with your friends, they need Opera as well... lame.

That's completely untrue, it works fine with firefox and probably any other browser.

That's completely untrue, it works fine with firefox and probably any other browser.

This has already been discussed... a bit late there bud. We already figured it was something to do with my router or something else. Doesn't matter, this is going to bring a lot of problems in for Opera I believe, as this is just another form of file sharing that will be exploited for illegal activity. Just like the Pirate Bay.

This has already been discussed... a bit late there bud. We already figured it was something to do with my router or something else. Doesn't matter, this is going to bring a lot of problems in for Opera I believe, as this is just another form of file sharing that will be exploited for illegal activity. Just like the Pirate Bay.

I wish people would stop making uneducated comments like this. The Pirate Bay was - as the name clearly suggests - a site purpose built to facilitate piracy, and they went out of their way to encourage piracy, what with the way they even rethemed their entire site to promote pirated releases of major movies for example. Other programs and sites which may or may not allow illegal file sharing along with legal file sharing, but are not explicitly designed for illegal file sharing, are not the same as The Pirate Bay. Stop comparing apples to oranges.

An absolutely awesome idea in concept, the only problem is that with it replying on peer to peer sharing, problems can occur with data becoming unavailable.

Will be interesting to see how this takes off over the next few months but at least it will hopefully give more developers a reason to actively target Opera.

File sharing is not[/i] illegal, sharing copyrighted content with it is. Opera are not promoting or advocating piracy using this tool, they will not bear liability for its misuse and I am sure will try and prevent pirated material from spreading via their indexes

File sharing is not[/i] illegal, sharing copyrighted content with it is. Opera are not promoting or advocating piracy using this tool, they will not bear liability for its misuse and I am sure will try and prevent pirated material from spreading via their indexes

Look closely at what I wrote: I distinctly referred to both illegal and legal file sharing. I did not say file sharing is illegal. Of course the reality is that the vast majority of file sharing is current of the illegal variety, but that's another issue altogether.

The point is that Opera has not created a tool which is automatically designed to encourage the spread of piracy. It is NOT the same as the reason why The Pirate Bay has been taken to court, and all the idiots who keep saying that Google and Opera are like The Pirate Bay are either being deliberately obtuse or trying to make excuses for TPB.

Hopefully with tools like the ones opera is providing, legal file sharing can become more common, for example in the distribution of patches and legitimate file clients.

If Opera Unite encourages piracy, then these tools have to be banned as well because they encourage piracy:

- All file sharing sites

- Your DVD Writer

- Blank DVDs

- External Hard Drives

Opera is the one providing the domain, and the one who links and makes an index of your files.

Opera has stated that if anyone files a report they would investigate the matter and if found guilty would issue a warning first . On further infractions the account would be banned.

However, acion will be taken only if a complaint is received. Opera doesn't monitor data on Opera Unite.

guys, i have registered carmatic.ath.cx for myself and set it up to point at my computer's ip... can you see if you can access the opera services im running?

::edit:: im running file sharing, the fridge, and the lounge

I got it working!!! my fridge

its all thanks to this guide: http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/custom-...ns-opera-unite/

Edited by carmatic

guys, do you think its a good idea to put my Unite link into my sig? now that i figured out how to get it to work and all... its abit slow but im getting random incoming connections into opera.exe, nobody has left any notes on the fridge or said anything in the lounge

::edit:: someone called 'san.W10 frm neowin' just posted a note on my fridge... i wonder who could it be?

Edited by carmatic

My fridge is located here

unite://laptop.chipshop215.operaunite.com/fridge/ (or the equivalent http url)

so time to test :p

If peeps could leave me a note or whatever and get playing with this thing.

My fridge is located here

unite://laptop.chipshop215.operaunite.com/fridge/ (or the equivalent http url)

so time to test :p

If peeps could leave me a note or whatever and get playing with this thing.

it should be http://laptop.chipshop215.operaunite.com/fridge/

also, opera's own Unite proxy is getting overloaded, so you'll have to use dyndns or no-ip to resolve your hostname to your ip address.... remember to add :8840 at the end of the main url if you didnt set up port forwarding to forward from port 80 external to port 8840 internal

Edited by carmatic

my opera site got slow as hell somewhy for now cant open anything there

little bit offtopic. is there any ad block software to opera?

You can block content manually in the right click menu, or find a custom urlfilter.ini online. There are quite a few.

You can block content manually in the right click menu, or find a custom urlfilter.ini online. There are quite a few.

thanks found one right away

guys, it would be amazing if there was something i can put in my sig or something that would show if my unite is online, so you know if you should bother waiting for it to load...

My question is, by using this can you get around firewalls? For example you can't get to some video site from work due to the firewall but using this would allow you to see it by connecting to your home pc or something? Or are we talking about just filesharing here like music and such?

My question is, by using this can you get around firewalls? For example you can't get to some video site from work due to the firewall but using this would allow you to see it by connecting to your home pc or something? Or are we talking about just filesharing here like music and such?

it depends on people being able to connect to your computer... port forwarding to the computer running Unite is something thats mentioned alot in its help files and forums...

::edit:: i am wondering why is there nobody in my lounge... if you go to my main Unite page are you able to access the services i am running?

• 2 weeks later...
An absolutely awesome idea in concept, the only problem is that with it replying on peer to peer sharing, problems can occur with data becoming unavailable.

You all seem to think that this is all about file sharing. But that's just an extremely limited scenario. Did no one see the fridge? The chatroom? The torrent tracker?

It doesn't rely on "peer to peer sharing" in the way people think of P2P. It's a web server sending content to any browser. Yes, the connection is "P2P" but it's not just a file sharing app.

Also, the being offline thing is the same "problem" you have with other things like Skype, IM, etc. You'll adapt to it.