Activision Threatens To "Stop Supporting" Sony Consoles

Activision just wants cheaper consoles out there which translates to more consoles which translates to more potential customers for them. It's like HP "giving" away printers to sell the ink, except Activision just wants to sell the ink and not worry about the loss of giving away the printer.

The console isn't the problem, that's like saying just because you don't want to learn algebra, math is to blame not your lack of motivation to learn it. Activision is just stubborn plain and simple.

So wait, now every developer that doesn't like something about the PS3 is stubborn and lacks motivation? Are you being serious? It seems some are willing to back Sony too much. Looking at sales numbers for multiplatform games like CoD etc, and you see how the 360 versions of said games sell twice as much in most cases. Also look at the very low PS3 sales numbers as well.

The devs have a very valid point in calling for a price cut. Sony let it's arrogance get in the way when it was making the PS3 and priced it so damn high thinking everyone would buy it regardless of the price cuz hell "it's a Sony!". Lets get real for a minute here. You think the Wii is killing this generation sales wise due to it's nifty little wiimote tech? Hell no. It's winning because of it's great starting price and the fact it managed to bring in a whole new group of gamers to spend money on it.

You also think it's a coincidence more and more 3rd party devs are going multiplatform? Or the fact more and more of them are even supporting the Wii with it's inferior hardware?

The bottom line is sales, the Wii sells, the 360 sells, and the PS3 is lagging behind like that fat friend everyone has who can't run quick. Did anyone see Ubisofts E3 press conference? It was spent showing loads of new Wii games and such. Devs are motivated, they're motivated by making money, and if all they're doing is spending more on developing a ps3 version as well, yet getting less of a return compared to the others, it's well within their right to bring that up and make a change.

Stop trying to only blame the developers when the platform itself has just as much a part to play in this.

Well I just hope Sony PR doesn't fudge this up and say something like "well...we don't need Activision anyways" :p

Also, I think if they were actually pushed into a corner, they could stop developing for the PS3 and be fine. The only gamers that wouldn't take them seriously are PS3 gamers. Now that they get all of Blizzard's income, they're in a position to bully people.

-Spenser

Yeah, here's my honest reply on it.

What is the issue here? Activision looking at the price of the PS3 and it's sales in the US as of late.

Why is this an issue for Activision? They have two massive games coming out soon, MW2 and GH5. Activision like money, know Sony have been rumouring a price drop this year and want to remind them to drop the price soon, preferrably in time for MW2 or GH5 launching. People are waiting for a PS3 price drop to buy, Activision don't want people glossing over their franchises because the PS3 is still too costly for some.

Why is it more of an issue now than the last few years for COD/GH? PS3 sales are slowing now, people want a price drop more than before due to the competition dropping in price/economy.

So they are or aren't they going to stop supporting the PS3? It's a bait line. What do I mean by that? Quite a few developers have said over the last few months they'd like a cheaper PS3, even EA. Activision want the journalist headlines though, they want gamers taking notice, they want a ton of attention on Sony. Of course they aren't stopping supporting the console. They sell millions of units on it and make millions in money.

So they are "lieing"? No not really, it's more of a business/PR tactic than it is activision trying to lie. It's an "empty threat", but one which causes a lot of fuss for Sony.

Should gamers be concerned? We have enough evidence suggesting a PS3 price drop this year, so no, not really. However this is where the carnival of stupid commences and this is why I posted a joke reply. Look at any site covering this news piece, it will have 5,000 comments of nonsense.

Edited by Audioboxer

So much easier to mock and dismiss the claims of developers and the likes than actually focus on the problem at hand, the PS3.

Because so many other developers are making great looking games on the PS3, they must all be wrong? Are they faking it?

This strikes me as nothing more than a very public pressure tactic from a guy who wants to sell you a $200 Band Hero package. Of course he wants lower console prices so people have more money left for his rehash games. He is also dismissing the millions of people who bought COD4 and COD:WaW on PS3, let alone some of Activision's other decent games. I don't wish them to bail on the platform, but I think anyone who wants to see an MS monopoly on hardcore console gaming is a fool. MS only improves products when there is competition, want to see the 360 stagnate then let the PS3 die. You would not have seen Natal this year had Sony not had a strong 2009 line up and some serious promise coming in to 2010. EA and Capcom seem pretty happy with the PS3 as well and even Ubi seems to have come back around, so why should we not mock this guy (and Valve and Terminal Reality, etc...).

I love how people seem to actually be against Activision going after a price cut. It's a good thing, for everyone.

-Spenser

I don't think it's the message, I think it's the method. No one is arguing a price cut isn't important, least I'm not. I just think a guy who cranks out bland sequels and expensve add-ons isn't worth taking too seriously. Had Activision not jumped on Infinity Ward and Blizzard we likely would be referring to them as the new Acclaim.

This is pretty serious.

Call of Duty, the Crash series (still exists, I think...), Guitar Hero, the Bond license, Transformers, X-Men, Prototype.

Activision doesn't have a sports line these days, but they recently bought FreeStyle (they made some of the Buzz games), they have Bizzare now (formerly of PGR), Spiderman (how freaky would that be, no Spiderman on a Sony console), Tony Hawk obviously, Raven Software is wholly owned now (which is a little weird since they used to have a very cozy relationship with id, and now id is under the EA Partners program).

Plus if Blizzard has any console games in the pipeline (rumours of Diablo 3) then those would also be affected.

The last time a major third party came straight out and said they wouldn't support a platform was when EA disowned the Dreamcast. I think this is less major, but those are some big big titles. This is pretty close to Warner coming out and announcing they wouldn't support HD-DVD anymore.

I don't think they'll make good on the threat, but that it's even coming to this is craziness.

ahhh so mostly games of which i have little or no interest in so no major loss for me.

They also publish the Wolfenstein series.

3rd Party support for last place consoles usually disappears eventually. All signs point to Sony price dropping end of the year anyway so it's all a fuss about nothing. Activision are just making sure, they like money.

They also publish the Wolfenstein series.

I think that the current Wolfenstein is the last game in their relationship with id. Raven's been developing it.

The only thing good they make is Call of Duty. Rockband on the other hand is a much better game than Guitar Hero (way more songs).

All "music" games are garbage. Why not just learn real guitar? It's so much more fun and rewarding. Plus, in a lot of ways GH is harder than real guitar (on the harder difficulties). For instance, I can play Metallica's one easily on real guitar, but I can't play it on GH :p

It says it is unlikely to happen, but developers need to cut costs somewhere, and paying Sony over $1m for a development kit is unreasonable, when Microsoft supply's them for much, much cheaper.

The fact that they still make a positive profit means they're better off continuing to support the PS3 than abandoning it. This guy is just talking out of his a*se.

The fact that they still make a positive profit means they're better off continuing to support the PS3 than abandoning it. This guy is just talking out of his a*se.

They said Sony is losing momentum. Why support something that may or may not return a positive profit??

All "music" games are garbage. Why not just learn real guitar? It's so much more fun and rewarding. Plus, in a lot of ways GH is harder than real guitar (on the harder difficulties). For instance, I can play Metallica's one easily on real guitar, but I can't play it on GH :p

Because you don't get points in real guitar :)

I'm sure snowboarding is more rewarding in real life too, but that doesn't mean that I've got no interest in Amped or Stoked.

Sony should call their bluff and tell them to GTFO.

They are getting as bad as EA for yearly increment games and games with cheap junk plastic controllers.

I don't think Sony is no position to tell anyone to GTFO.

And I do believe Activision would do it. They generate 2:1 or even 3:1 sales of their titles on Xbox 360 compared to PS3.

Just imagine.. What do you think would happen if Modern Warfare 2 was only available on Xbox 360?

I can tell you that Xbox 360 sales would triple. It would easily compensate the money they would've lost on PS3 side.

This is serious people and it is very obvious that Sony has problems when the largest game publisher says they'll stop producing games for PS3 if Sony doesn't address the issue of price.

None of us here know how much money goes into making a port or financing the PS3 version of the game and what their ROI (return on investment) is. It might be even lower then some people think.

I really don't think this is a bluff.What would it look like if CEO made threats like this with no backing. He would look ridiculous in business world. So he's definitely not bluffing.

I do think they would not quit PS3 platform right away. I think they would dump PSP first as a sign of last warning to Sony. Then if Sony did not comply and help them publish games they would kill PS3.

Edited by Boz

I don't think Sony is no position to tell anyone to GTFO.

And I do believe Activision would do it. They generate 2:1 or even 3:1 sales of their titles on Xbox 360 compared to PS3.

Just imagine.. What do you think would happen if Modern Warfare 2 was only available on Xbox 360?

I can tell you that Xbox 360 sales would triple. It would easily compensate the money they would've lost on PS3 side.

This is serious people and it is very obvious that Sony has problems when the largest game publisher says they'll stop producing games for PS3 if Sony doesn't address the issue of price.

None of us here know how much money goes into making a port or financing the PS3 version of the game and what their ROI (return on investment) is. It might be even lower then some people think.

I really don't think this is a bluff.

So wait, the sales ratio is 3:1 but if the game is only available on the 360 sales will triple? You are my favorite MS schill Boz, you really are.

So wait, the sales ratio is 3:1 but if the game is only available on the 360 sales will triple? You are my favorite MS schill Boz, you really are.

If you can't comprehend what people write maybe you shouldn't comment eh?

I haven't read all of the posts, I just know that I hate Activision more and more everyday. I'm sorry but they have far surpassed EA in the BS meter.

Are you serious? learning the guitar takes long, is hard and isn't that fun at all unless you can play it really well (which takes a long time).

Playing GH on medium is fun and rewarding, the expert mode is just for the hardcore nuts.