BD Player Production Cost to Fall to $50 in 2010

Get a load of this. This looks like a good sign to me. Blu-ray will surely become a big hit when this happens.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2935

Taiwan-based disc drive makers expect production costs of BD players to gradually drop to US$50 in 2010, according to local industry sources. These same sources say that currently the production cost of a BD player starts at approximately $100, with pick-up heads and chipsets accounting for 50% and 25% respectively.

With more and more makers of the two key components and increasing yield rates, production costs are expected to keep decreasing until reaching $50 during 2010.

Note that the above refers to production costs, not retail prices. Right now, one of the lowest prices available is from Sears, who are offering a refurbished Magnavox player for $99.99.

I saw this article at Blu-ray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2938

Michigan-based hypermarket chain Meijer has just passed a new milestone for Blu-ray hardware pricing. From now to July 31, you can buy there a brand-new player (not refurbished) for under $100: the Curtis Mathes CMMBX130 for $99.99. Additionally, using the code "DOTMJR09" will get you free shipping. Update: the player is now sold out.

This model is BonusView (Profile 1.1) compatible and uses the Broadcom BCM7440 chipset, like many Samsung players. However, there are no professional reviews for it. Update: the player is now sold out.

Wow, when a BD player hits $99.99, they sell like hotcakes. This proves that Blu-ray is popular. It's just prices that's preventing people from buying one.

A lot of people already have HDTVs, so HD players should sell once they reach a reasonable price.

It took longer than I thought to break the $100 barrier though :)

A lot of people didn't realize how long it took DVDs to fall down in price. I bought my first DVD player in 2000 (two years after the format was released) for $150 with no movies included and that was the cheapest one at the time. And I got that at a sale too. Movies were at least $25-30 each. It wasn't until 2002 where people full adopted to the format and prices finally fell to decent price level.

At least with Blu-ray players, I got it for $180 with 4 free movies. And players are expected to fall next year. And at least now, I can find BDs in the $10-15 range. I couldn't find a single DVD movie for that price in 2000. And DVDs had a big advantage because the economy was good back then and it didn't have to go through any war with another format. So, considering what Blu-ray went through, with the BD vs. HD-DVD war, the bad economy, and all that, Blu-ray is doing extremely well. Not to mention that people need to buy an HDTV first before buying a Blu-ray player.

A lot of people didn't realize how long it took DVDs to fall down in price. I bought my first DVD player in 2000 (two years after the format was released) for $150 with no movies included and that was the cheapest one at the time. And I got that at a sale too. Movies were at least $25-30 each. It wasn't until 2002 where people full adopted to the format and prices finally fell to decent price level.

At least with Blu-ray players, I got it for $180 with 4 free movies. And players are expected to fall next year. And at least now, I can find BDs in the $10-15 range. I couldn't find a single DVD movie for that price in 2000. And DVDs had a big advantage because the economy was good back then and it didn't have to go through any war with another format. So, considering what Blu-ray went through, with the BD vs. HD-DVD war, the bad economy, and all that, Blu-ray is doing extremely well. Not to mention that people need to buy an HDTV first before buying a Blu-ray player.

I agree, I just can't wait until I can see BD player in Macintosh ;)

A lot of people already have HDTVs, so HD players should sell once they reach a reasonable price.

umm I think HD players are dead arnt they? at least where I live I havent seen a single HD movie just lots and lots of blu ray

umm I think HD players are dead arnt they? at least where I live I havent seen a single HD movie just lots and lots of blu ray

He means HD as in High Definition, not HD-DVD.

• 2 weeks later...