Local Access Only - Can't access internet

We don't need it fixed, you do, so telling us to "google the problem" won't solve anything. Please provide the information everyone has asked you multiple times and we might be able to help.

We don't need it fixed, you do, so telling us to "google the problem" won't solve anything. Please provide the information everyone has asked you multiple times and we might be able to help.

Well, killez said he already knows how to fix it so I'd like to hear his solution first. That should make it quick and easy.

If killez fails to do so, then let's start at the top. I provided some of the info, like the IP and some settings, the error message, I've had the modem and computers reset. Just ask me again what you need to know.

But let's see killez solution first.

The guys here are trying to help and you are acting like a complete *******.

Loose the attitude and perhaps people will be more willing to help you out.

You said you searched on Google and found other forums with people having this same issue and there were no answers for them either. So how is it going to help you by telling others to do that when you already know what they'll find?

I've had this issue a couple times and there's two posts in this thread that I know for a fact work to fix the issue. Obviously you haven't even tried anything said on here or you would have had it fixed from a post on the very first page.

Drop the attitude (or try to actually READ some posts) and maybe people would actually help you. It's also not really a Windows problem to begin with. You're talking trash about Windows and it's users for no reason other than your impatience.

The guys here are trying to help and you are acting like a complete *******.

Loose the attitude and perhaps people will be more willing to help you out.

Lose is spelled L-O-S-E.

You said you searched on Google and found other forums with people having this same issue and there were no answers for them either.
No solutions.
So how is it going to help you by telling others to do that when you already know what they'll find?
Others had said it was obvious I didn't have a clue what I was talking about.
I've had this issue a couple times and there's two posts in this thread that I know for a fact work to fix the issue. Obviously you haven't even tried anything said on here or you would have had it fixed from a post on the very first page.
Obviously you didn't read my post where I said everything said here has been tried.
It's also not really a Windows problem to begin with.
That's funny. All the other forums and Microsoft KB articles say it is. If it isn't a Windows problem, why does Linux and FreeBSD work just fine?
You're talking trash about Windows and it's users for no reason other than your impatience.
Impatience? After more than 30 days of asking around you think I'm impatient? You come along and say "Oh, the fix is on the first page" but don't say which post and you think I'm impatient? I already said no one here has said anything new about fixing this and I'm impatient?

Format, problem solved.

Nope. Two different computers. One brand new, the other 2 years old.

I did double check to make sure the cable was plugged in.

so you are trying to hook up 3 computers(kid, wife, kid) to one cable modem with no router in between them? I know SOME will do two connections, but not many and defiantly not 3. have they thought of using a router maybe?

I've read every post in this thread. A couple fixes have been posted already. If you would bother reading instead of arguing, you'd find your answer.

If you had any patience you wouldn't have freaked out bashing the Windows users after nobody answered the thread a couple hours after you originally posted it. So yes, I do believe you're very impatient. You might also want to talk to someone about your obvious anger issue

30 days and you haven't fixed the problem yet? :rolleyes: Anybody else would have already called some kind of support line or had someone physically come fix it.

IMHO you have no issue at all and just started this thread to create drama. I'm basing this off the simple fact that you're bashing people who have posted fixes I know fix the issue. That tells me you didn't bother reading anything they said. You went straight to bashing.

Edited by NightmarE D

No solutions.Others had said it was obvious I didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Obviously you didn't read my post where I said everything said here has been tried.That's funny. All the other forums and Microsoft KB articles say it is. If it isn't a Windows problem, why does Linux and FreeBSD work just fine?Impatience? After more than 30 days of asking around you think I'm impatient? You come along and say "Oh, the fix is on the first page" but don't say which post and you think I'm impatient? I already said no one here has said anything new about fixing this and I'm impatient?

Have you read my complete response and considered the suggestions I've said? Just wondering.

so you are trying to hook up 3 computers(kid, wife, kid) to one cable modem with no router in between them? I know SOME will do two connections, but not many and defiantly not 3. have they thought of using a router maybe?

No. One Vista laptop. It works. A second brand new Vista laptop gets the errors. A 2-year old Vista laptop gets the error. A freebsd laptop connects fine. A Linux laptop connects fine.

I've read every post in this thread. A couple fixes have been posted already. If you would bother reading instead of arguing, you'd find your answer.
The mod deleted the wrong post earlier so it might have been in that one but ALL the "fixes" listed in this thread have been tried in the past, some a couple days ago, none of them work.
30 days and you haven't fixed the problem yet? :rolleyes: Anybody else would have already called some kind of support line or had someone physically come fix it.
30 days and no one anywhere on any forum or list has been able to fix it yet. The problem is in Chicago. I'm not in Chicago. It's only when I visit my son in Chicago that we need this to work.
IMHO you have no issue at all and just started this thread to create drama. I'm basing this off the simple fact that you're bashing people who have posted fixes I know fix the issue. That tells me you didn't bother reading anything they said. You went straight to bashing.

And I'm convinced you have no technical knowledge and are only trying to defend your ego. I already showed you the Google search with hundreds of links to this exact same problem complained about everywhere and, if you look (I know you didn't), you'll find the fixes rarely help anyone.

So since you don't know the answer, kindly leave.

Have you read my complete response and considered the suggestions I've said? Just wondering.

Yes, powering down the modem was one of the first things I tried. Whether the modem keeps the mac address in flash or not, I did not think of when I was in Chicago last and didn't look for it. I've tried to get my son to call the ISP to figure this out but they are looking for apartments and haven't had the time.

Yours is the first thought out suggestion I've gotten, thank you.

"the ip is like 192.168.0.xxx. It never gets a public IP."

Ok lets get some clarification here -- if your machine is getting a 192.168 from somewhere I don't believe your connected to a cable modem. This is a private address and would point to you not being connected to a modem but a router, or some other dhcp server on the same network?

Please post the make and model number of this "modem" your say your connecting to.

You mention other machines working fine -- are they all connected to the same device at the same time? Or are you swapping them out connecting to the device one at a time?

If this is "modem" then yes its quite possible you have to power cycle it before connecting another device since it will cache the mac of the device it was last connected too.

But that would not explain a 192.168 address. Is there anything else between the modem device an your machine? A VOIP device? Anything that could be a dhcp server?

Yes its quite common the local access only error, but your link to your google does not help us with the info about your specific issue. Most of the time it comes down to a dhcp server problem, firewall issue blocking dhcp, etc.

There are known issues with vista and certain routers, other dhcp servers, etc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

But without knowing the specifics of your issue and setup - its almost impossible to point to where you problem is.

Please post the the make and model number of this device your connected too. Any other devices that might be between you and the device, etc.

And the output the box having the problem ipconfig /all would go along way.

If you suppose to be getting a public IP and your getting 192.168 -- then no its never going to work ;) But we need to understand the setup to know if you should be getting a public or private address.

If comes down to a dhcp issue an whatever dhcp server your running (your router?) or you ISP - we can troubleshoot why that is not working. But we need to know that is the problem.. Local access only does not give us much to work with.

So please post the make and model of your "modem" and the output of your ipconfig /all of the not working device, and then a working one would be great info.

If your behind router and having dhcp issues - just set a static IP.. Can you then ping the router?

Some modems are modem router combos. I'd be interested to see what IP address he gets when in linux.

Wow. Why come on a site and give people that attitude! All you have done is make those people determined not to help you. I can understand that you might be frustrated that this issue is not resolved but that is nothing to do with the people on this site. They are helping you FREE OF CHARGE in their own time.

Budman is probably the best person to help you with this. He is very thorough and definitely knows what he's talking about so please please be nice! If you answer the questions that people post (regardless of how many times you've answered them on other sites) then you will almost certainly get this problem resolved. If you post *sigh* all the time all you are doing is making yourself seem like an idiot.

I have to say though that after the attitude you've shown i doubt there will be many other people willing to help you...

"the ip is like 192.168.0.xxx. It never gets a public IP."

Ok lets get some clarification here -- if your machine is getting a 192.168 from somewhere I don't believe your connected to a cable modem.

I am. Believe me.
Please post the make and model number of this "modem" your say your connecting to.
Will do so tonight.
You mention other machines working fine -- are they all connected to the same device at the same time? Or are you swapping them out connecting to the device one at a time?
Connecting one at a time.
But that would not explain a 192.168 address. Is there anything else between the modem device an your machine? A VOIP device? Anything that could be a dhcp server?
No. Cable from wall goes to little black box which goes to laptop.
Yes its quite common the local access only error, but your link to your google does not help us with the info about your specific issue.
The link is for those who think it's me only.
Most of the time it comes down to a dhcp server problem, firewall issue blocking dhcp, etc.
Yes, except when:
There are known issues with vista and certain routers, other dhcp servers, etc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers

Except I've been to that link and I'm not behind a router.
And the output the box having the problem ipconfig /all would go along way.
This may take some effort since I'm not in Chicago and have to get my son to do this but I think I can tonight.

"I am. Believe me."

Well -- if your connected a cable "modem" then you should never get a 192.168.x.x address.. And yeah thats going to be an ISSUE. And would explain the local only error.

So if when other machines connect they get a Public IP, ie something other than 192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16-31.x.x then this is your problem and we need to figure out why that is.

It might sound like a stupid question -- but are we sure your box is set for dhcp? Do you have that 192.168 address setup as an alternate?

post-14624-1245881128_thumb.jpg

That would explain why you seeing a 192.168 vs the 169.254 address when dhcp does not work.

As already mentioned -- if on a cable modem where your suppose to get a public IP, when you change devices most of the time you need to power cycle the modem before you connect a different device.

I would suggest disconnect machine 1, then power cycle the modem and wait for all its lights to come back showing you have sync. Then connect your machine that is not working and turn it on.. If you do not have an alternate IP setting, and the machine is set for dhcp and its not working - then you should see a 169.254 address.

If this is the case then we can look into the possible issue with vista and dhcp servers - but since you have another vista box that works that seems odd. But the hardware is different? Its possible the nic has an issue with the dhcp server? Are we sure this nic actually works? Ie the vista box has been on other networks and works just fine? If you stated this Im sorry I missed it - and walking out the door so do not have time to check through the thread again for this info.

If need be we can use a sniffer (wireshark - FREE) and look for the dhcp discovery and then the dhcpoffer, and then the dhcp request and then the dhcp ack, etc. etc. Does not matter if windows or linux or bsd or BEOS, etc. dhcp works the same across the board.. So if there is a problem with that we can figure out what. Ports 67 and 68 are used, etc.

Its RARE!! But I have seen where the ISP would not give a client an IP due to a duplicate MAC already having an IP from the isp dhcp server.. Where you see this a lot is with the dd-wrt firmware on routers - when you flash them sometimes it changes the routers mac to a default one.. So you have multiple users having the same mac -- so if you get 2 on the same ISP.. Only the first one gets and IP ;) We would be able to find this out by watching the dhcp traffic with the sniffer, etc.

But I would like to know for sure where that 192.168 address is coming from. And that dhcp works on the machine -- its possible to just connect this vista box to another machine with a crossover or if one of them is gig interface just a patch and either on your freebsd or linux box run a dhcp server, or run say tftpd32 (has dhcp server) and make sure dhcp on the box works, etc.

Its not really a fix to your problem - but a work around might be to get a router. if you have multiple machines this would make the most sense since then all the boxes could use the net at the same time -- wireless even, etc. etc. And then it would be easier to troubleshoot a dhcp issue since it would be between the router and the box vs the machine and hte ISP server, etc. etc.

I would suggest you not connect machines directly to the public net anyway -- lots of crap on public wire, just tiny piece of mind to be behind a nat ;)

"I am. Believe me."

Well -- if your connected a cable "modem" then you should never get a 192.168.x.x address..

Agree.
It might sound like a stupid question -- but are we sure your box is set for dhcp? Do you have that 192.168 address setup as an alternate?
The two laptops that don't work, work fine from the lan at home, but that's through a router. Let's not get too hung up on that yet because that's what I got on my lap and I don't know what she got.
As already mentioned -- if on a cable modem where your suppose to get a public IP, when you change devices most of the time you need to power cycle the modem before you connect a different device.
Did that.
If this is the case then we can look into the possible issue with vista and dhcp servers - but since you have another vista box that works that seems odd.
Yes.
But the hardware is different?
Not sure about the nic but it's different model laptops, one two years older than the other.
Are we sure this nic actually works? Ie the vista box has been on other networks and works just fine?
Both work at multiple locations but not this one.
Its not really a fix to your problem - but a work around might be to get a router.
My thought, too, but I won't be there for another month or so.

Do you by any chance use ESET Smart Security? Try disabling the firewall in it. I work as tech support for an ISP and for the past 2 days we've been overwhelmed with problems similar to what you're describing here. Just a wild guess though. I didn't read the whole topic :)

Get a live CD of Ubuntu and boot from lt on that Vista computer

then see if your internet works. Mostly is a vista issue but maybe for some odd reason its a computer issue. Yes I know you have the issue on 2 machines but i've seen stranger things happen.

Please loose the

answer

answer

answer

Its a nightmare to read -- and all those quote boxes give me a headache! ;) Pretty sure we are all smart enough to figure out what parts your answers are in response too.. If not we can just look 1 or 2 posts up and re read the questions ;)

If you wont be there for a couple of months or so -- WTF did you bring up the topic now for? Without you there to give exact details on the problem we can all make guesses to what the problem was until we are blue in the face.

Im sure everyone will agree that yes lots of people run into the local access only error -- and guess what lots of different reason why, most often is they only have local access ;) hehehe

How about you start a new thread when your there and the problem is happening and you can give details of the setup and what your seeing, etc. etc.

Since were all just speculating on what you remember the problem to be, etc. Im going to guess you did not reboot the cable modem before changing devices, and just pulled the 192.168 address out of your ass ;)

I would suggest you save your pennies for a couple of months and then bring a router with you ;) If you have issues then - will still be here.

Please loose the

answer

answer

answer

Its a nightmare to read -- and all those quote boxes give me a headache! ;) Pretty sure we are all smart enough to figure out what parts your answers are in response too..

It's a standard method of response from USENET.

And lose is spelled l-o-s-e.

If you wont be there for a couple of months or so -- WTF did you bring up the topic now for? Without you there to give exact details on the problem we can all make guesses to what the problem was until we are blue in the face.
My wife and son are there now and my wife needs the internet for my business.
Since were all just speculating on what you remember the problem to be, etc. Im going to guess you did not reboot the cable modem before changing devices, and just pulled the 192.168 address out of your ass ;)

I would suggest you save your pennies for a couple of months and then bring a router with you ;) If you have issues then - will still be here.

Typical Windows user response. I was giving you benefit of the doubt from what others said but you're no different. Somewhat more knowledgeable but no different. I can tell you don't know anything more than what I gleaned from the hundreds of posts elsewhere. So I'll leave you with this:

1) I run a web business that has 10 Unix servers. I know a little bit about networking since I set it all up in my office myself. Networking is my weak point but I'm far more advanced than what I see here.

2) My son contacted the ISP last night who is aware of this "Vista problem" and is having a service tech come out this afternoon. Since I was not on the phone with them I don't know any more details but my impression was they were going to leave a disk with a patch for Vista or they have to change out the modem (yes, modem) or change some settings, and I was told this is a direct quote, "so it will work with Vista".

Now all this sounds strange to me, too, and others can howl all they want but that's what we were told and we'll see what happens this afternoon when the tech comes out.