How To Upgrade To Win7 7260 Rtm - You Do Not Have To Do Fresh Install

How to UPGRADE to Win7 7260 RTM - You Do Not Have To Do A Fresh Install !!!

In order to upgrade to 7260 from - ANY - previous version do the followings:

1. extract iso to a folder

2. right click on setup and properties

3. on compatibility check run this program in compatibility mode and select vista sp2

4. check also the option "Run this program as an administrator"

5. run setup and enjoy :)

I just did it and it works GREAT.

The UPGRADE procedure takes about 2-1/2 hours.

You Do Not Have To Do A Fresh Install To Get 7260 RTM.

I UPGRADED from 7100 RC to 7260 RTM.

7260 is not rtm. But 2.5 hours for an upgrade? That takes forever. It does save you time from re-installing all apps, so I guess it may be worth it just for that.

I have installed windows 7 in less than 15mins from the press of the power button to the desktop.

2 1/2 hrs for an upgrade that may fail? No thanks..

RTM (release to manufacturing) is in fact the same build that goes out on the discs we purchase correct? Am I correct in saying that RTM is not technically legal to download? Just curious. Not that any of us here have never before downloaded anything questionable...

RTM (release to manufacturing) is in fact the same build that goes out on the discs we purchase correct? Am I correct in saying that RTM is not technically legal to download? Just curious. Not that any of us here have never before downloaded anything questionable...

If you download it via "officials" channels like : MSDN, Technet and stuff like that, then it's legal because you or your company have paid something to MS in order to access this kind of stuff. If you download it via torrents, newsgroups or even emule, then it's not legal at all.

that is all mate :)

edit: and you're right about the RTM : it's indeed the version that will be on teh discs we purchase.

edit 2: btw, upgrading to rtm from beta is VERYYYY BAD !!!!!!!!!!!!!! mmmmmmmmmmmmkaaay ??!! :)

Why does upgrading take so much longer than a clean install?

I guess it depends on how much you already have installed and what files you have on the OS. and when upgrading it has to shift all those files everywere to perform the upgrade.

since its a RTM, it doesn't have a expiry date right???

Assuming you have a legit key/license, then yes it doesn't

The 7100 keys don't work with 7260...so howd u get around that? :no:

Well, YES they do. I upgraded to 7260 (32bit) from 7100 using the above method and used the keys I have been using since I got the early beta and I have it activated properly. 7260 like all the other LEAKED versions, EXCEPT 7264, work with the keys.

Microsoft can't be too worried about the leaks? They haven't moved to stop them.

7260 is pre-RTM not RTM.

The ability to upgrade from other builds has been known for a long time and can also be done by editing one file.

7264 is the latest pre-RTM build and no RC keys work with it.

• 3 weeks later...

There are plenty of ways to upgrade from existing betas, the thing is by doing so your risking causing other issues. The fact that your upgrade took 2.5 hours is a sign in itself that something wasn't working appropriately.

You have no way of knowing that everything was updated appropriately, its simply not worth the possible future hassle.

That's not true at all. 2 hours or so is pretty normal for an upgrade, especially if you have a bunch of programs installed. The installation itself doesn't take any longer than usual, but the import files and settings stage takes forever. It has in every post-Vista upgrade I've done and is no indication at all that anything is wrong or working improperly.

There are certain reasons why an upgrade may be preferable. Transferring your files and settings aren't one of them. It's much faster to do a clean install, reinstall your apps, and restore your files and settings manually. If for no other reason because you can be using your computer while you do it. I don't generally trust upgrade installs, either, especially going from a beta to a finished product.

• 1 month later...
when retail comes out, would i be able to just upgrade from RC to final using the disk? that's what it sounds like.

Do you not understand that if you wan't to avoid potential problems in the future A clean install is undisputedly the ONLY option period.

Now matter if you can Force it to upgrade when generally it would not allow it, thats NOT going to be a good idea period.

Understand?

PERIOD!

• 2 weeks later...
Why does upgrading take so much longer than a clean install?

because of the 100,000 or more system changes. much of the registry needs to be changed or altered in someway. Files need to be copied and many deleted. It needs to take assessments of the system. ensure driver compatibility. and it's doing all this on a running system, with many of these files being accessed.

• 9 months later...

Not necessarily.

All other channels other than Volume licensing and Retail are RTM.

The copies we get via MSDN are also RTM

Not necessarily.

All other channels other than Volume licensing and Retail are RTM.

The copies we get via MSDN are also RTM

No offense, but did you even bother looking to see when the last post of this thread was before you replied to it?

I think I speak for all of us but a clean install please, I would do it over an upgrade any day of the year with windows 7. But thank you for the info on it :D