Another Canadian!

ChrisCanada

I have been an active member on two other large computer discussion forums, tech-forums.net and a mod of computerforums.org under the name of DJ-CHRIS. I left tech-forums.net a few years ago as the place wasn't at all very helpful, most of the smarter members left and the place started to become very redneck. I than moved onto tech-forums.net and eventually became a moderator. After a few years here, the place started to go downhill, the site's uptime is terrible and it keeps getting hacked, and I was even able to reproduce the sql injection exploit they used to compromise accounts. 24+ hours of downtime a week wasn't uncommon and members started to leave, and the post quality started to go downhill quickly. I find all the questions there to typically be quite silly mostly involving what is better, and I can't find any help for my own issues anymore.

I found out about Neowin through digg, as I notice articles posted on this site often that reach the top. It seems like this place is on top of the tech industry and is very up to date, and is more than a bunch of teenagers arguing about processors and graphics cards. I have tried a few other popular forums a bit, but they all seem to be too focused on what hardware is better, etc which I don't entirely follow all of the hardware as it's only a small sliver of what's important in the tech world.

So about me, I'm a 21 year old college student currently taking a network engineering and security analyst course at Mohawk College in Canada, and I currently have my A+ IT Technician and Network+ certification. I'm also planning on taking my MCTIP Enterprise Administrator, Linux+, Server+, Security+, CCNA within the next two years. I currently work as an IT Technician (for the summer) at a research organization, and also volunteer as a network administrator for a small charitable group (although it doesn't require much effort). I'm also an Army reservist as well.

My main interest in the computer field is networking in a windows environment, however I also have done alot of windows desktop support, and have used various *nix distributions quite a bit including OpenSolaris, Ubuntu, Smoothwall, OS X and Mandrake (Before it was called Mandriva).

As for personal intersts, I'm a DJ (only as a hobby right now however, lifestyle and location don't play nicely with it) and play trance and house. I also like the outdoors and hiking, camping and mountain biking. I'm kind of a party animal, and like hitting up the clubs occasionally, but this is once again limited a bit due to location. I'm also an avid FPS gamer and currently I have been playing alot of Call of Duty 4 and Call of Duty 5 as well as some AA3. I have been with my partner for a year or so, and he's a bit of a computer geek too and we enjoy doing alot of the same stuff.

My desktop is a Q6600 with 8GB of DDRII 800 RAM and a 9800GT, as well as an EMU1212M sound card. I have a total of 3.14TB of HD space on my desktop, 2x 320GB drives for OS installs (I alternate between drives for OS installs incase I want to revert to my old install), 2x500GB drives in RAID 1 for important files and a 1.5TB drive for installed programs and non important files. I also have an Asus M50SV with a 2.5ghz C2D with 4GB of DDRII 667, 9500M and a 250GB HD. I also have a few older P4 desktops laying around as well as my AMD 3400+ with 2GB of ram and an 8600GT with 320GB HD, which was my first PC built. I unfortunately have one of the worlds crappiest ISP's, bell (sympatico) which has terrible bandwidth caps (I'm not affected by bandwidth caps, yet) and the worlds most advanced torrent throttling system, which even works when all of your traffic is encrypted.

EDIT: Running Windows Vista Business w/ SP2, but upgrading to Windows 7 as soon as it's released on technet!

And to top this intro off, decided to upload the only self image where I'm not doing something stupid.

post-303202-1246486752_thumb.jpg

Edited by ChrisCanada
Andrew Lyle

Hamilton.. well Welcome anyways!

I can assure you we are not rednecks and are very helpful :yes:

Digitalx

coolstorybro.jpg

welcome to neowin :)

Another Canuck
~

So about me, I'm a 21 year old college student currently taking a network engineering and security analyst course at Mohawk College in Canada, and I currently have my A+ IT Technician and Network+ certification. I'm also planning on taking my MCTIP Enterprise Administrator, Linux+, Server+, Security+, CCNA within the next two years. I currently work as an IT Technician (for the summer) at a research organization, and also volunteer as a network administrator for a small charitable group (although it doesn't require much effort). I'm also an Army reservist as well.

~

Heh, no kidding. I'll see you there this September I guess :)

I'm starting the same course.

Growled

Hi Chris, welcome to Neowin. :)

Yusuf M.

Very interesting. Welcome to Neowin, ChrisCanada. I expect you to put that expertise to use (in helping fellow Neowinians, of course). :)

ChrisCanada
Heh, no kidding. I'll see you there this September I guess :)

I'm starting the same course.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I'll be ahead of you in the courses though.

And thanks for the warm welcomes.

tiagosilva29

tl;dr

Enjoy Neowin while drinking milk from its bag!