?Out of control? deputy under investigation in San Diego

How bad does it get when you have to call 911 on a cop who is responding to a noise complaint?

It happened in San Diego County last weekend when a deputy responding to the noise complaint appeared ?out of control? with a ?raged look in his eyes.?

And no, we?re not talking a house party filled with drunken teenagers but a political fundraiser attended by middle-aged people, mostly females.

Some of the attendees happened to be lesbians, so maybe that had an effect on San Diego County Sheriff?s Deputy Marshall Abbott, who ended up dousing guests with pepper spray, pulling out a stun gun and dropping a 60-year-old woman to the floor.

Abbott, 29, is now being investigated by the District Attorney?s Office. They should probably test him for steroids.

Before the chaotic evening was over, a police helicopter, canine unit, fire engine and several marked units responded to the scene to assist Abbott, who, of course, was in fear for his life.

Naturally, anybody attempting to document the deputy?s actions were also arrested, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

Seven guests were arrested for taking photos with a cell phone camera and talking back to an officer; most were released at the scene, they said.

The incident occurred in the home of Shari Barman and Jane Stratton, who are not only living in sin but happen to support a democratic candidate for congress.

They had organized a fundraiser for candidate Francine Busby, a 58-year-old woman who is running for congress in 2010. About 30 people showed up.

Between 8:30 and 9 p.m., Busby was on a microphone trying to rile up her group of Golden Girls and Guys.

But a neighbor, most likely a republican, started shouting obscenities towards Busby from behind a wall.

He is also probably the one who called deputies complaining about the noise. Apparently, the Encinitas community of Cardiff-by-the-Sea likes to tap out early.

Shortly after 9 pm, Deputy Abbott entered the residence and asked Barman for her date-of-birth. Now we all know how sensitive some women get about their age, especially when they are 60, so she turned and walked away.

It is her house, after all.

Feeling disrespected, Abbott grabbed Barman?s right arm, twisted it behind her back and threw her to the ground.

When other ladies tried to intervene, Abbott began dousing them with pepper spray. Then he called for back-up.

Meanwhile, at least one lady called 911 because Abbott appeared out of control.

?He had a raged look in his eyes and his head was bobbing from side to side,? said Kimberley Beatty, who attended the event. She said she called 911 to report that the officer ?appeared to be out of control.?

The result was a helicopter, canine unit, fire truck and eight squard cars rushing to the scene.

Barman was charged with ?suspicion of battery on a peace officer,? as well as ?resisting, delaying and obstructing a peace officer.?

Source: Photography is Not a Crime: It?s a First Amendment Right (Carlos Miller)

That is insane... How many times do we have to see these cops over reacting before something is done?

Yes, it i insane but sadly nothing will be done about it. In fact, you'll probably see more and more of this. That's the world we live in now.

Did anybody else actually read this poorly written article?

"so maybe that had an effect"

"They should probably test him for steroids."

"But a neighbor, most likely a republican"

Nothing like objectivity... :rolleyes:

Yet another case of morons not listening to the officer. They deserved what they got. Seriously, do what the officer asks and don't resist and there are no problems.

I don't see what the fuss is over. He asked for her birthday and she walked away. If I did that to a cop I'm pretty sure I know what would happen next. Then her friends attack the cop while he's trying to arrest her so they get pepper-sprayed. Am I missing something?

I don't see what the fuss is over. He asked for her birthday and she walked away. If I did that to a cop I'm pretty sure I know what would happen next. Then her friends attack the cop while he's trying to arrest her so they get pepper-sprayed. Am I missing something?

Exactly. Don't these people have common sense!?!? People are so brain dead these days, it drives me nuts.

Exactly. Don't these people have common sense!?!? People are so brain dead these days, it drives me nuts.

I know. Especially when they can't read. :p

Shortly after 9 pm, Deputy Abbott entered the residence and asked Barman for her date-of-birth. Now we all know how sensitive some women get about their age, especially when they are 60, so she turned and walked away.

Now why would you even ask a 60 year old woman her age? That is as brain dead as you can get.

She was not legally required to give any information, partially because the city's noise curfew had not gone into effect.

Not only that, but from what I keep reading the party was actually dispersing by the time he got there.

But, you know, it's as good a reason as any to throw a 60-year old woman to the ground.

Now why would you even ask a 60 year old woman her age? That is as brain dead as you can get.

yeaaaaaaa... Although why would you ask her age if you already knew it.

It doesn't matter. For whatever reason, he asked her age. She should have just told him. Walking away is only asking for trouble.

It doesn't matter. For whatever reason, he asked her age. She should have just told him. Walking away is only asking for trouble.

He didn't have a valid reason to ask

The reason for police asking for someone's Date Of Birth (not exactly age) is to confirm they are who they say they are

Just giving your name is not enough

I suspect the "deputy" did not believe who the woman stated who she was, and due to her walking away, shows that she may not have been helpful to a police matter anyway

Imagine a cop stops some guy in the street causing, lets say noise, and the guy just walk away from the cop when he starts asking them standard questions. Hmm, maybe he's trying to get away, slowly!

Should the law change when its a 60yo lady? That's a bit sexist and discriminate

I suspect the "deputy" was not shown any respect by anyone there, and by the lady walking (illegally under standard questioning) walking off, made him angry

I don't think that it would be a passive cop to turn up at someone's house regarding a reported disturbance

At 60 she should have realized being asked Name; DOB; and address, are standard required questions

As for others trying to (possibly) obstruct the cop from doing his job, I think he handled it well, ie no gun involved.

Name? John Smith !

DOB: No stuff you !

Arrest !

i guess nobody in this thread has heard of the fifth amendment, seriously he had no reason to take her down on her own private property without an warrant. he should lose his job

What a fantastic "News source" this is..... can we find an article over this that's not laced with sarcasm? This is some dude's blog for God's sake... Surely we can find a better source than this..... He's just a guy with a website grandstanding to boost his own ego.