Wimbledon 2009

That was unreal. First thing I'd say to my opponent after playing 77 straight games of tennis with him would be, "Lets get out of here and get a beer."

-Spenser

Hahaha. I was thinking exactly the same you know, "Lets just go and have a bev."

They would have a lot to talk about, and there is nothing like having a bevvie after having played sport for four hours or so :p

Best ever.

If Federer didn't **** up in Australian Open final, he'd have a real chance of winning all 4 major tournaments this year... mind boggling lol

FedEx has done it! What an absolutely amazing match! I feel so bad for Andy Roddick! Kudos to Roger Federer for winning his 15th title!

My dad's just been through and said the exact same thing, and I was thinking it a few minutes ago. Great that it's going so far into the last set, but 26 games with no break of serve, and you have to favour the bigger server to win, and it's not the most entertaining.

BS. Both were playing fantastic tennis technically. Federer had over 50 aces and he could not break Roddick's serve while Roddick had trouble overcoming Federer overall.

It's only boring to people who just want showboating. I was on the edge of my seat because of how amazing these players were technically. They played more than four hours and Roddick was still serving 133+ mph serves and fantastic backhands while Federer kept serving aces. It's true that Federer didn't look at his prime game but that's not because he was having an off day. He had trouble answering to Roddick's powerful serves and baseline shots and could do little but just defend and try not to break mentally due to the crushing pressure to win his 15th and four legends watch him.

It's probably one of the best Wimbledon finals. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yes, it's great fun watching consistent big serves and baseline ralli- oh, wait, this is Wimbledon and not Philippe-Chatrier, isn't it? ;) Fantastic technique doesn't necessarily mean fantastic entertainment. I find Murray's matches more watchable, because of the variation of shots, the lobs, drop shots, moving around, it's a bit more of a spectacle than "wham, wham, wham, wham, wham, server holds serve".

72 games in the match I think, and 3 of those went against serve. That's just over 4% of the games didn't go with serve. It was getting a little predictable, really :/

Yep, and the disappointing thing is that in the end it was only resolved by the fact that one man was physically fitter than the other, having played shorter matches, rather than ability.

Federer struggled like hell against Roddick's serve, and I feel if Roddick hadn't thrown away the second set, then he would have won the final, probably even in straight sets. Real shame as well, as he was absolutely devastated after the match, but he carried on fighting tooth and nail with Federer until he physically had nothing left to give. He can be very proud of his performance.

Yes, it's great fun watching consistent big serves and baseline ralli- oh, wait, this is Wimbledon and not Philippe-Chatrier, isn't it? ;) Fantastic technique doesn't necessarily mean fantastic entertainment.

True. However, as a tennis player and avid fan, it was very entertaining and educational. Roddick won over the fans emotionally becuase he was the underdog but people need to credit Federer for keeping Roddick at bay with his technique.

I'll quote someone's post that sums up my empathy for Roddick regarding this whole match:

"If it was anybody else, Roddick would have won... but Federer happens."