VLC Media Player 1.0

it's you. just move it, and you'll see it's semi-transparent.

Actually, it's definitely not semi-transparent for me... And it was fine in RCs. :/ I guess I'll reinstall.

still pixelated here ):

You got to change the video output to opengl, earlier your PC would freeze using opengl at least now it works under opengl.

What's the pixelated issues relate to? If I fast forward a video it's pixelated for like a second then returns to normal, is that the issue? If so it's still doing that for me under Windows 7 on OpenGL.

Anyway, not tried VLC in ages, I was using MPC-HC and ffdshow, might switch over to this. Do the VLC devs update the internal codecs fairly often? There's builds of ffdshow almost daily.

What's the pixelated issues relate to? If I fast forward a video it's pixelated for like a second then returns to normal, is that the issue? If so it's still doing that for me under Windows 7 on OpenGL.

Anyway, not tried VLC in ages, I was using MPC-HC and ffdshow, might switch over to this. Do the VLC devs update the internal codecs fairly often? There's builds of ffdshow almost daily.

When we try playing video files with the video output set as default the playback will turn up pixelated as if watching an ultra low def video. Only way round was too change the output settings to directx but selecting this disabled aero in windows.

When we try playing video files with the video output set as default the playback will turn up pixelated as if watching an ultra low def video. Only way round was too change the output settings to directx but selecting this disabled aero in windows.

same here, and when i try directx, in which the picture is fine, the controls aren't shown anymore.

not using hardware acceleration here in windows 7... been like this since windows 7 RC build... and previous versions of VLC

Yeah. 1080p video in WMP12: about 1% cpu use.

1080p video in VLC 1.0: Pegs a full core, and doesn't even resize properly (Becomes very pixely. The resizing has been broken since I've used Windows 7)

I like VLC, I just wish it had better subtitle display support. It's still very grainy/not smooth when using soft subtitles. It looks great in OS X, but bad in Linux and Windows. :(

Do you need a special graphics card or drivers for Hardware acceleration?

I have Radeon x850xt and am using window 7 on a Quad 8200 at 2.80ghz.

I am currently using MPClassic HT edition and it's using about 18% CPU on a 1080p MKV file.

Will I find any improvement / performance / efficiency benefit on VLC 1?

I am currently using MPClassic HT edition and it's using about 18% CPU on a 1080p MKV file.

Just try it out and see what it does. In my experience, though, the new MF codecs have really really good performance. Try using Windows Media Player and see what happens.

Just try it out and see what it does. In my experience, though, the new MF codecs have really really good performance. Try using Windows Media Player and see what happens.

Same files used on each test and on each media software....

1080p ~ 20% CPU

720p ~ 5% CPU

480p ~ 1% CPU

I don't have any high quality WMV to test. So I don't think Hardware acceleration is going to kick in anyway. Maybe if I had a nvidia GPU or newer ATI it would use the GPU drivers and kick in acceleration for any movie files.

The picture quality is exactly the same on MPC and VLC. I took screen dumps at the same frame.

My CPU is coping with it just fine.

I don't like the pausing on VLC. It's very laggy. MPC is instant. I am not converted. Sorry VLC.

I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema for all my movie playback but always used VLC for DVD playback as I found it had better compatibility. Now I can use it for blurray too \m/

Anyways, I never found VLC to be very good IQ wise for x264 encoded content, too blocky compared to divx-hd or ffdshow or other liba based decoders.

MPC vs VLC 1.0 on One of my HDDVD encodes @ 1920 -

MPC HC:

mpc.jpg

VLC:

vlc.jpg

While VLC is no longer blocky when playing HD content it does go blocky for a second when seeking in the timeline. It is also giving off a more washed out image compared to MPC.

MPC is decoding via DiVX-HD h264 decoder whereas VLC is using some internal AVC1 decoder from the codec info dialogue.

I'll stick with MPC for everything barring blurray/dvd and hddvd discs but that''s rare these days as I just rip everything to the hdd for media sharing on the LAN :p

CPU usage wise I don't really care which decoder uses more cpu, I have a quad core so never encounter any issues in this regard!

It depends on your vid card/drivers older vid cards don't usually have full hardware acceleration for h.264 like nvidia's 8 series and 9 series do.

If you have a card that has the support for hardware acceleration + a media/player and codec that supports dxva you can get full hardware acceleration playing h.264 files.