Sony Boss Getting Fed Up With PPL Telling Him The PS3 Is Too Expensive

Link

Just more confirmation that there will be no drop until there is a major hardware revision. That Slim can't come soon enough.

Sorry Howard but not all of us have pocket books like CEOs such as yourself. During a recession, $200 for a 360 or $250 for a Wii is much more attractive to the general public than $400 for the lowest end model PS3. Granted, I have a 360 with a 120 GB which I call my white Elite (was an aracade I bought to replace a previously dead pro) and a PS3 I got as the MGS 4 bundle with a bonus last year. But crying like a baby about not making money off lowering your price will make people sob for you. Sony bit off more than it could chew.

I agree, elephants do weigh too much. But smarties are tastier than elephants, so when you smell outer space the vacuum will make your blood boil and eggs need horseradish.

Hey-ho, a post as meaningful as the one I quoted.

Is that from ctrl-alt-del, by chance?

-Spenser

Actually no, it is retarded. If you want to get into semantics, some people play games to enjoy them with their FRIENDS. Most people on neowin, sure they have a rig capable of playing these games, however if you look at non technology savvy people (console gamers for the most part), they all own laptops. Laptops that have INTEGRATED GRAPHICS. Personally, I only know of one person apart from myself that has a machine capable of playing a lot of these games in 1080p.

1) I have a laptop with a graphics card capable of playing a lot of games, including the only two I generally have installed, Oblivion and Bioshock.

2) Non-tech savvy people have a Wii.

3) By far, the vast majority of games can't be played on consoles in 1080p, either. Most are 720p or even lower.

^^^I think your number 2 isn't quite correct. I mean, yeah, non-tech savvy people have a Wii, but I'm willing to bet the majority of PS3 and 360 gamers also aren't very tech savvy and the majority of them don't game on their PC, hence having a console. You have to remember that this forum is very much not representative of the general videogame market.

-Spenser

1) I have a laptop with a graphics card capable of playing a lot of games, including the only two I generally have installed, Oblivion and Bioshock.

2) Non-tech savvy people have a Wii.

3) By far, the vast majority of games can't be played on consoles in 1080p, either. Most are 720p or even lower.

Let's forget the 1080p then. Let's get into one more aspect of laptop gaming them. Do you enjoy playing your games on a 13-18" LCD screen? I know I sure as hell don't. I have a 1080p 52" LCD and a 57" 1080i DLP where all of my gaming takes place. Even while playing computer games, I output via HDMI @1080p to my 52". All I was trying to argue with IBB was his post was highly misleading and using invalid points that contained much more drawbacks than advantages.

^^^I think your number 2 isn't quite correct. I mean, yeah, non-tech savvy people have a Wii, but I'm willing to bet the majority of PS3 and 360 gamers also aren't very tech savvy and the majority of them don't game on their PC, hence having a console. You have to remember that this forum is very much not representative of the general videogame market.

-Spenser

I would agree. Just listen to E@Major Nelson podcasts and you will quickly realize just how stupid some of the "typical" gamers are. Everyone in this forum, while not agreeing with each other, is highly informed when it comes to gaming. That's why even though there are arguments every single day, it is worth it to discuss.

No, but it's random enough to sound like them, I guess. :p

Yeah it just reminded me of something that would come from the chef that he does in a comic once every few months :p

-Spenser

-Spenser

I think you're probably right. I think there is some fanboyism there as well, so at that point it's more a loyalty than being tech savvy too. I've played the PS3 personally, though I don't own one currently. I just have always gone back to my XBox 360 as I like the console and the experience much more. If I thought the PS3 was worth the money I would have gotten one of them. It's something that everyone has to weigh and the PS3 didn't do it for me.

Let's forget the 1080p then. Let's get into one more aspect of laptop gaming them. Do you enjoy playing your games on a 13-18" LCD screen? I know I sure as hell don't. I have a 1080p 52" LCD and a 57" 1080i DLP where all of my gaming takes place. Even while playing computer games, I output via HDMI @1080p to my 52". All I was trying to argue with IBB was his post was highly misleading and using invalid points that contained much more drawbacks than advantages.

I would agree. Just listen to E@Major Nelson podcasts and you will quickly realize just how stupid some of the "typical" gamers are. Everyone in this forum, while not agreeing with each other, is highly informed when it comes to gaming. That's why even though there are arguments every single day, it is worth it to discuss.

When I'm travelling and can't get on my PS3 or PC, then yes, I do enjoy it (19" screen, btw). But then again I have a decent sized PC screen, 5.1 surround, etc. And I'm not a hardcore PC gamer, but I generally prefer mod-able and FPS games on PC. I may be an exception, however.

And I bet a lot of non-tech-savvy people also play Sims or Warcraft, or play on a Wii or PS2, if they game at all. They make up the vast vast majority of the casual gaming market, something neither Sony nor Microsoft have been able to corner very well this gen.

You could make a better selling console and make some money or you could make an okay selling console that cements one of your new formats in which you collect royalties and make a boat load of money.

It's doing neither currently.

How has it not cemented Blu-ray as the HD disc standard? Please enlighten us... without Boz's rhetoric or any other internet blog babble.

How has it not cemented Blu-ray as the HD disc standard? Please enlighten us... without Boz's rhetoric or any other internet blog babble.

while everyone knows the bluray label by now, and knows that its THE hd format right now, of everyone i know, only one person can play blurays, and its because they own a ps3. they dont own bluray movies, and as far as i know, havnt rented any.

bluray hasnt started taking off yet.

I never said it hasn't cemented it's place as the only HD disc standard, but it's not selling well by far. In fact sales have been poor since 2007/beginning of 2008 iirc.

They were boosted by Dark Knight and I think have been down again since then.

Either way, they won the HD war, but BR's aren't all they are cracked up to be and the buzz died the same time the HD war did.

while everyone knows the bluray label by now, and knows that its THE hd format right now, of everyone i know, only one person can play blurays, and its because they own a ps3. they dont own bluray movies, and as far as i know, havnt rented any.

bluray hasnt started taking off yet.

The aisles have continued to grow at all the big box stores I've been to. The current economic situation doesn't help, but it's getting there. All I rent and/or purchase is Blu-rays now. Especially when Amazon has killer deals on the ones I want. Band of Brothers for $36 was an amazing deal!

How are Blu-rays not everything they are 'cracked up to be?' They provide a full HD resolution video with uncompressed audio. Something you cannot get with DVD. I'm confused by your statement.

The aisles have continued to grow at all the big box stores I've been to. The current economic situation doesn't help, but it's getting there. All I rent and/or purchase is Blu-rays now. Especially when Amazon has killer deals on the ones I want. Band of Brothers for $36 was an amazing deal!

How are Blu-rays not everything they are 'cracked up to be?' They provide a full HD resolution video with uncompressed audio. Something you cannot get with DVD. I'm confused by your statement.

$36 for a dvd, to hell with that. Blu-ray or not, appearance of the movie isnt justified by that price. Even when I get a ps3 I wont be buying blu-ray movies till they start coming down to what dvds cost now. Personally I think having the format war end so soon was bad for the consumer in the long run. We will be stuck with these high ass prices for a really long time.

Check your local ads. You can find latest release titles regularly marked down to the $25 range. And at that, you're paying what? $6-8 more over a standard DVD? With that point it becomes an excellent choice IMO.

The $36 price point I referenced was for the Blu-ray box set for Band of Brothers which was a multi-part series. Well over the length of a standard DVD in terms of quantity, quality and extra features. It normally MSRP's up in the $70 range I believe.

what?

i never said they wern't all they are cracked up to be...

im talking in terms of sales.

Let me know when it gets there, and I might consider buying a player or PS3. Until then, I'll stick with my $10 bin movies and upconverting DVD player. :p

So, let's see if I can sum up Kotick's statement....

Potential Customers: PS3 is too expensive compared to Xbox 360 and Wii.

Analysts: PS3 is more expensive than other consoles, and it's got the least market share. Reduce price to increase market share.

Reporters: When are you going to reduce PS3 price?

Sony CEO: STFU BISHES!!!