• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

x64 Bit Windows XP

Ben Alter    0

I just got a new Macbook Pro 13.3" 2.26GHz with 4GB of DDR3 RAM. Now I know that Boot Camp says not to install a 64 version of Windows, but that's the only legal copy of it that I've got, and I don't want to trash up my new mac with a bootlegged copy of Windows.

I know that the problem with installing Windows x64 Bit is in the drivers for the computer, and I can't find the x64 Bit Windows XP drivers for a Macbook Pro 2009 unibody edition.

Does anyone know where to find these?

PS: I kind of need all of the drivers, including the bluetooth ones. Just pretty much a x64 Bit version of every driver that comes on the Boot Camp install DVD.

S550    91

Bootcamp works with XP x64 I thought. I know it works with Vista x64.

Hendrick    11

Good luck. 64bit XP wasn't widely adopted, thus support for it was slow. And even then, most newer devices won't have 64bit drivers. My only suggestion would be to virtual machine it... won't need drivers that way.

sonyman    3

As far as I know, Windows XP 64-bit edition is unsupported through Boot Camp. If you need 64-bit capabilities, you will have to install Windows Vista or wait for Windows 7 compatibility which should arrive soon, probably with Snow Leopard.

Ben Alter    0
Bootcamp works with XP x64 I thought. I know it works with Vista x64.

Not with XP 64 Bit. It works with Vista because of Vista's huge database of pre-installed drivers.

Good luck. 64bit XP wasn't widely adopted, thus support for it was slow. And even then, most newer devices won't have 64bit drivers. My only suggestion would be to virtual machine it... won't need drivers that way.

I really like the feel of Windows running native on the computer, so I prefer Boot Camp to any virtual machine, but I guess that'll do, considering I do have a legal copy of Parallels 4.0 for Mac =d

As far as I know, Windows XP 64-bit edition is unsupported through Boot Camp. If you need 64-bit capabilities, you will have to install Windows Vista or wait for Windows 7 compatibility which should arrive soon, probably with Snow Leopard.

I really don't like Vista at all, even the x64 Bit version. I guess I could wait for the Windows 7 release and support from Apple.

Thanks for all of your replies!

Gary2MBz    20

You are out of luck. As all others and now me are saying the adoption for it was slow, go for a Vista or 7 flavor. You can use the same Vista drivers if you choose 7 x64.