Mechwarrior 4 (and expansions) to be released for free

Kushan
In honor of BattleTech's 25th anniversary, Smith & Tinker has authorized MekTek.net and MekTek Studios to distribute MechWarrior 4 (along with its expansion packs) completely free. For years, MekTek.net has been the central point for online distribution of MechWarrior 4 expansion packs. Now they can provide the core game free to the fans as well. Keep an eye on BattleTech.com ? the free download will be available soon!

Source: http://battletech.catalystgamelabs.com/200...battletech-com/

One for those of you who still appreciate a bit of PC gaming. Dunno when the link is going to be up, but it should be soon. I missed out on this game a few years back so I'm quite excited!

Yusuf M.

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely give it a try. I was only able to play the MechWarrior 4 demo.

ATGC

Awesome.

I used to play MW4 Veng (early 2001) and Mercs when it came out.

Tag: BLeEk, I was a novacat ######.

Looking forward to getting back into it.

DesGaiZu

Thats nice of them all my old game discs are scratched so il be downloading it for sure...not even sure if I played 4.

ScottKin
Awesome.

I used to play MW4 Veng (early 2001) and Mercs when it came out.

Tag: BLeEk, I was a novacat ######.

Looking forward to getting back into it.

Tag: Darius_Cole

I had to wait until MekTek trotted-out my beloved Supernova before I felt "at home".

--ScottKin

deletedxyz

Video Reviews (GameTrailers) > Written reviews of video games. A picture is worth a thousand words but video is priceless and saves time and money.

ATGC
Tag: Darius_Cole

I had to wait until MekTek trotted-out my beloved Supernova before I felt "at home".

--ScottKin

Mektek is fail.

j2k and the rest kept ruining the MP community with all the patches.

did you play in the leagues? BZL, MWL?

Ju5t a1
MechWarrior To Be Distributed Free On BattleTech.com

In honor of BattleTech?s 25th anniversary, Smith & Tinker has authorized MekTek.net and MekTek Studios to distribute MechWarrior 4 (along with its expansion packs) completely free. For years, MekTek.net has been the central point for online distribution of MechWarrior 4 expansion packs. Now they can provide the core game free to the fans as well. Keep an eye on BattleTech.com?the free download will be available soon!

About Smith & Tinker

Smith & Tinker is an inventor of kid-focused entertainment products that create a new play experience for the connected generation. The company?s toys and games encourage social interaction and play among kids by bridging the Internet and physical world. Founded in 2008 by executives who share a passion for reinventing play for today?s tech-savvy generation Smith & Tinker is led by executives from some of the world?s top brands including Cranium Inc., Hasbro Inc., The Walt Disney Company and Microsoft. Smith & Tinker was founded by Jordan Weisman, creator of the MechWarrior gaming franchise, which has sold over 11 million PC games worldwide. More information is available at www.smithandtinker.com.

Source

http://battletech.catalystgamelabs.com/200...battletech-com/

Elite Prime

Great I have never played MechWarrior 4 and I loved MechWarrior 2 on the PS1.

Dead_Monkey
Nice.

But, considering its Mektek... the download file will be huge. Game files + patch files + map files (huge)...

In any case, if more people get back into, I might just install from the CDs.

Microsoft has had the engine alone available for a long time, I believe it's part of the .NET SDK. The IP related resources weren't part of the package though.

ATGC

Like I posted in the other thread.

Will be good to get back into it if more people are going back in MP.

Download will be big, which might turn off some people from getting into it.

fhpuqrgrpgvirzhpujbj

Where does it say its free?

Yusuf M.
Where does it say its free?

Here: http://battletech.catalystgamelabs.com/200...battletech-com/

The thought had just occurred, but won't the game have compatibility issues with Windows Vista? After all, the game was released in 2000 (before the release of Windows XP).

Raa

Don't re-releases generally get fixes that make them more compatible with newer O/S?

(Not always, but many do)

TheLaughingMan

if its free, HELL YES pls

gigapixels

Alright, sorry about that whole thing. I've split the threads as best as I could, but some posts may have been put in the wrong one. Unfortunately there's no "undo" with thread merges.

Comic Book Guy
Nice.

But, considering its Mektek... the download file will be huge. Game files + patch files + map files (huge)...

In any case, if more people get back into, I might just install from the CDs.

Does it really matter, with high-speed access being so common.

Reacon

!!!

This thread: Win.

ATGC
Does it really matter, with high-speed access being so common.

Did I say it will be a problem?

jamend

Also announced this week:

New MechWarrior 5 game:

MechWarrior: Living Legends (Crysis mod) actual gameplay footage: