When is Messenger 8.0 for OS X due?

Actually MSN Pecan 0.10 RC1 has just been released - it support both Receive and SEND !!! Offline Messaging.

And it support receive only of Winks , Voice Clip and Hand Writing.

So even thought you can send any of these. At least your friend wont complain about you having an &^%^%V MSN version that doesn't support any of these features.

Although it is up to Adium dev whether they will use it or not.

• 2 weeks later...
I do wish they would hurry up with it, is there any third party alternatives to MSN that have A/V for Mac at all?

aMSN and Mercury Messenger are those that I know. Both look like crap. A particularly icky kind of crap. They understand OS X integration in the same way as my mom understand recompiling a Linux kernel.

Anyway...

I use aMSN myself, and it eats RAM, and it sometimes do this annoying thing when it pushes the CPU usage to make my MacBook Pro go hot. Even without message windows open. Restarting aMSN fixes the problem. *sigh* But what options do I have? I tried the A/V bandaid solution released as a plugin for Adium and using an external web service, but the problem is that it was an external web service, not integrated webcam support using MSN's feature.

I can't wait until libpurple gain A/V support so that Adium can support it. :( It always seem to be one of those far, far away features though. I don't really understand why, when those crappy clients already have it since a long time ago. That's a mystery to me.

• 1 month later...

I think Apple's relationship with Microsoft could be about to take an even more antagonistic and less supportive twist as the ZuneHD and barely touched new version of the iPod Touch go head to head, apps stores and the real slap in Microsoft's face, Apple plugging the iPod Touch as a games console, not to mention Win7 and Snow Leopard. I don't have many frustrations on my Mac but MSN Messenger is one. I suppose it would be better if MSN Messenger was a paid-for product and then the support would be there.

Messenger, Media and OS are 2 separate markets. Microsoft wast to excel in each individually. If they let one impact another it makes them all fail. Not to mention they are 3 different teams.

I honestly like the Windows messenger currently for the OSX(seems very cool and better than the Windows version lol); been using it and as long as I can send and receive a message im all good..

I'm starting to be worried about the state of instant messaging on OS X.

Microsoft Messenger 8: MIA. Come on MS, give us a beta at least.

AIM, Yahoo!: Both clients in what seems to be perpetual beta. I don't use the former, the latter is ok-ish.

iChat: Admittedly haven't used it enough to have an opinion.

Adium: Development seems to have slowed down for several reasons, lack of programmers being the primary one. The client is more and more lagging behind its Linux/Windows counterpart Pidgin.

Which version of the MSN protocol is Messenger:Mac 7 using btw? Microsoft might have to release a beta of Messenger 8 once the forced upgrade for the Windows Live client is implemented.

I'm starting to be worried about the state of instant messaging on OS X.

Microsoft Messenger 8: MIA. Come on MS, give us a beta at least.

AIM, Yahoo!: Both clients in what seems to be perpetual beta. I don't use the former, the latter is ok-ish.

iChat: Admittedly haven't used it enough to have an opinion.

Adium: Development seems to have slowed down for several reasons, lack of programmers being the primary one. The client is more and more lagging behind its Linux/Windows counterpart Pidgin.

Which version of the MSN protocol is Messenger:Mac 7 using btw? Microsoft might have to release a beta of Messenger 8 once the forced upgrade for the Windows Live client is implemented.

I stopped using Messenger/IM long ago simply because all of the clients on OS X are crap.

I couldn't say better than both of you. I'm worried since the beginning in fact. After 3 years of using a Mac, there's still no appropriate video / audio support for any client which uses the MSN protocol. And on Windows, development has slowed down a lot in this area during the last 3 years. Nothing new, nothing revolutionary is happening. Just small bug fixes.

The ones that have the most potential would be iChat and Adium. iChat seems like it's perfect to me, but it doesn't support the MSN protocol natively (unless I'm wrong) and otherwise it won't do video / audio on the MSN Protocol. I'm also looking for custom smileys, fast file transferring, and handwriting because it's fun and productive when I have equations to write with a big division in the middle.

Adium is slowly dying because there's not enough developers.

What can we change, really, in all that mess? iChat belongs to Apple, and Adium belongs... to us : it's open source! Maybe we should do some serious advertising for this project, they NEED to recruit (good) people, and they need a better website. I wouldn't mind making a whole new website with new technologies, but my only condition is to get new people on the project. If I know only 1-2 people are working on it, I won't do the website. If I know more than 5-6 people are actively working on it, I have no problem with making a website because it's going to be worth it. I told them to recruit new people in one of the news on their blog, but never got a reply. I don't know if they even care, but I'd say they do, they just didn't take a look at my message...

Lies, Adium is fine!

And if you want to video chat use skype!

I've heard Skype's alright but I don't have any contacts who use it, and I've never really liked Adium.

In all honesty I have never really used webcam on msn chat, so do people really need it? And do people really use it?

Well you buy a Mac and you pay for the included webcam.

There's 3 main uses for webcams :

1. Create photos

2. Create videos

3. IM video conference

Right now, Photo Booth gives you the 1st ability, iMovie gives you the 2nd, and where's the last one? iChat doesn't even support all protocols natively and Skype is also as closed as iChat, so I feel like I don't have this 3rd ability. I don't like buying a product and not being able to use it completely, especially because the 3rd option is the most interesting. (when you meet a girl on the Internet for instance, you can't even do a video conference so that she can see how awesome you are, just because you have a Mac. How good is that?)

Skype works brilliantly on Mac OS X when it comes to IM, audio and video. Never had a single issue or compatibility problem with it. I'm hoping with Messenger 8 the same can be said on the MSN side.

. (when you meet a girl on the Internet for instance, you can't even do a video conference so that she can see how awesome you are, just because you have a Mac. How good is that?)

Get out more?

Skype works brilliantly on Mac OS X. Never had a single issue or compatibility problem with it.

Skype works nicely, but isn't of much help when most of your contacts insist on using other protocols..

Skype works nicely, but isn't of much help when most of your contacts insist on using other protocols..

That's why I said I'm hoping Messenger 8 will do the same for MSN... But stating there isn't a single IM application beyond iChat that has it all on Mac OS X is simply not true. Hence the Skype example.

for the most part i use Adium on my Mac and pidgin on Windows/Linux however i have noticed since i got out of university that not many of my contacts use messenger services much anymore lol.

And on Windows, development has slowed down a lot in this area during the last 3 years. Nothing new, nothing revolutionary is happening. Just small bug fixes.

What else do you want in a IM client? More bloat? It is fine the way it is.

The only improvement that could be made (but difficult to do because of how video works) is multiconference video conversations. But again, this is difficult to do because of webcam/video drivers.

I on a personal level am glad there are no updates for OS X. More for Windows. OS X has its exclusive things (Photo booth) and Windows should have its own, just like Linux should too (No aircrack-ng for Windows)