Wireless cant copy large chunks of files?

Well, im using my Notebook as my "central media" and my Desktop for server things and as my media center..., now, most of the things i download goes either back in my Server for seeding or in my Notebook for streaming, so im constantly moving 3gb+ in files forward and forth, but for some reason, anything thats34gbish wont copy, it varies if its a lot of little ones or if its a big one, when i do this XP tells me "The network name is no longer available"..., using 10.5.7 on my Notebook and XP on my Server...

Whenever im streaming from my notebook to my server and this error happens, the streams gets interrupted, but not the VNC connection...

Speeds seems alrite for what i've looked around and tested, around 23mbit, anyone has a clue of why this might be happening?

Do you have a lot of neighboring access points around you? It could be due to interference in your area in which I suggest you get a simultaneous dual-band router. I suggest the Apple Airport Extreme and the Linksys WRT610n if this is the case.

When I first got my MacBook I tried to copy large files from my XP laptop via wireless connections to the router. I had similar issues, large amounts would just break halfway through but small things were fine.

No errors were given and in the end I gave up and used Ethernet cables because it was a one time thing. My conclusion was just that my router & wireless were just not reliable enough .. I guess that doesn't help you, unless you can plug in a wire for your file transfers?

It could be your router settings. Maybe the connection is dropping, but the VNC software keeps-alive long enough that your network kicks back in.

You can test this by having the computers ping each other while attempting a large file transfer; does the ping time out when the transfer fails?

I was never able to xfer large files either through wireless even with routers. I don't know if it is due to the router or due to the "lag" between router to computer.

I got no problems transferring large files (ISOs, HDs & etc) over LAN & WLAN. If you trying transfer a folder, I recommend you to zip it first then transfer it.

It might reduce the time consume to break each files to network packets.

For easy sharing I use an open-source software called 'Achat'

http://sourceforge.net/projects/achat/

I suggest using a more resilient transfer method such as FTP. (ie. setup FileZilla or GuildFTP servers on your desktop and transfer files through FTP clients).

Also, if you are transferring these files over WLAN, take a look at transmit/receive statistics and signal quality - WiFi is a notoriously unreliable medium to be doing large file transfers over.

One last thing you could try - connect to your server with it's IP address instead of the netbios name and see if that makes any difference (ie \\192.168.1.x rather than \\PC-NAME).