I've finally switched!

Silver Dragon
I never said I hated macs, and yes I've used them before, I have 2 at school which I use for class sometimes, their nice for video editing but other than that, theres not much else its worth for IMO. You can do all the same work on a pc as on a mac.

It all depends on what you do...

Point #1, just like a school has a hard time keeping up with technology in the Windows area, they have a hard time keeping up with Macintosh. Never judge any computer system by what you see in school, they are all very different in the real world.

Point #2, a Macintosh can do everything that a Windows box can do, everything a Linux box can do, everything a Unix box can do, and everything that a Macintosh can do all in one system. So you can have one box for working in a Unix enviornment (pick your shell) while MS Word is open and listning to music via iTunes, while diting a video, burning a DVD, and playing breakout (that last one is meant to be funny). To put it simply, Windows can't do that.

Point #3, Apple has created an amazing operating system in Mac OS X that does everything a PC does, plus it has a bunch of networking that Windows can't do out of the box, cool graphics and animations that are all rendered in OpenGL and offloaded to the GPU (which are actually very useful, they give you feedback on your actions and help you remember where items are), plus you get an amazing looking machine that turns heads. No offense, but Apple Macintosh is built for a lot more than video editing. Again I feel as if you have touched a Mac, but never *used* a Macintosh.

Here's a challenge. This is the same challenge that a friend gave me, and it changed my computing experience forever. Stop using Windows for 1 month (and no cheating). Find a decent Mac on eBay, or ask a friend to loan you one... Move all your files over to a Mac OS X based system, and *only use that* for 1 month. When you're done, come back and tell me what you think. There will be things you like and things you dislike, but I'm almost positive that you will have a new found respect for Apple and Mac OS X. As I stated before, any of the IT guys that I had do this switched to Mac OS X as their primary OS (quite a few now, I think I'm around 10 IT converts). That's a 100% success rate. There has to be something to this with those types of results.

Diata
It all depends on what you do...

Point #1, just like a school has a hard time keeping up with technology in the Windows area, they have a hard time keeping up with Macintosh. Never judge any computer system by what you see in school, they are all very different in the real world.

Point #2, a Macintosh can do everything that a Windows box can do, everything a Linux box can do, everything a Unix box can do, and everything that a Macintosh can do all in one system. So you can have one box for working in a Unix enviornment (pick your shell) while MS Word is open and listning to music via iTunes, while diting a video, burning a DVD, and playing breakout (that last one is meant to be funny). To put it simply, Windows can't do that.

Point #3, Apple has created an amazing operating system in Mac OS X that does everything a PC does, plus it has a bunch of networking that Windows can't do out of the box, cool graphics and animations that are all rendered in OpenGL and offloaded to the GPU (which are actually very useful, they give you feedback on your actions and help you remember where items are), plus you get an amazing looking machine that turns heads. No offense, but Apple Macintosh is built for a lot more than video editing. Again I feel as if you have touched a Mac, but never *used* a Macintosh.

Here's a challenge. This is the same challenge that a friend gave me, and it changed my computing experience forever. Stop using Windows for 1 month (and no cheating). Find a decent Mac on eBay, or ask a friend to loan you one... Move all your files over to a Mac OS X based system, and *only use that* for 1 month. When you're done, come back and tell me what you think. There will be things you like and things you dislike, but I'm almost positive that you will have a new found respect for Apple and Mac OS X. As I stated before, any of the IT guys that I had do this switched to Mac OS X as their primary OS (quite a few now, I think I'm around 10 IT converts). That's a 100% success rate. There has to be something to this with those types of results.

well said

fissy

Most people can't afford to buy a computer costing twice what its worth to see if its better. I'm sure a lot of people would go back to XP

Especially gamers.

I'm one of a minority who want a mac (before you start getting angry)

And in the Uk, I don't know a single Mac owner, they're very few in number. this means i can't test one out :(

kryptonik
Most people can't afford to buy a computer costing twice what its worth to see if its better. I'm sure a lot of people would go back to XP

Especially gamers.

I'm one of a minority who want a mac (before you start getting angry)

And in the Uk, I don't know a single Mac owner, they're very few in number. this means i can't test one out :(

Go to a local Apple reseller and play with it for a few hours... :whistle:

the evn show

Most people find it easier to bash anything they don't have rather than accept the fact that they might not have made the best choice, and cheaper than (cost and time) than finding out for themselves.

besides questioning other peoples choices has two great benefits that make it so appealing:

1) It's much easier than questioning your own choices

2) It's a subtle way of questioning someone's intelligence and implying that you are somehow smarter which makes you feel better.

The times I was at the internet cafe/bar at E3 last week I saw more Apple notebooks than PC notebooks at any given time. I'm not saying more people own more Apple hardware, but they certainly seamed (in this case) more inclined to use them.

CaKeY
Go to a local Apple reseller and play with it for a few hours... :whistle:

Not everyone lives near an apple retailer. How many are there now anyway? I live in northern maine, usa and last time i checked, the nearest apple retailer was in Boston MA, about and 8 hour drive away.

jackwanders

If I may interject...what version of OSX will Apple ship my PB with? Will it have a fully updated 10.2.6 or just 10.2, leaving me to update it? Also, do you think it might ship w/ iTunes 4? I only ask because it'll could a week or two before I get a hold of a network connection to download said updates.

Diata

id assume it will come with 10.2.6

fissy
Go to a local Apple reseller and play with it for a few hours...

I do.. but the staff get ****ed off and pester you after about 20 minutes.

I can't do every day either - the store is about an hours drive away and I doubt my mum would be impressed if i told her i was taking her car to look at a computer i can't afford...

fissy

ps why are you buying now?

Apple will want you to shell out another $130 for the Panther update

Steve

Some very good points Silver Dragon, well said! ;)

jackwanders
ps why are you buying now?

Apple will want you to shell out another $130 for the Panther update

Isn't Panther not being released until October or November? I know it's being unveiled at WWDC in June, but there's still a few more months until it releases. I'd gladly pay the $130 to have my Powerbook for those extra months.

kryptonik
Go to a local Apple reseller and play with it for a few hours...

I do.. but the staff get ****ed off and pester you after about 20 minutes.

I can't do every day either - the store is about an hours drive away and I doubt my mum would be impressed if i told her i was taking her car to look at a computer i can't afford...

I mean like a CompUSA or something like that. Not necessarily the Apple Store.

Fonze
yes why don't that just say "I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to use a pc, so I got a mac"

:ninja:

Because I'm not an idiot who doesn't know how to use PCs. I've been building them since I was 14. That was 7 years ago. I've built systems for my parents, my brother, my friends, my grandparents, and myself, of course. My current PC rig (P4 2.4B, 1GB PC2700, AIW8500DV, etc) is fantastic, and I'd never give it up.

I'm also a computer programmer, web designer, and webmaster. Learning to develop for Mac OSX (and UNIX, for that matter) will be greatly beneficial to my career. Knowledge is power, my friend, and he who can develop for Mac, UNIX, and Windows is all the more powerful.

And as far as OSX being "easy" to use...Damn straight. It's gonna be such a shame using an OS that lets me get more done in a day, let me tell you.

And yes, the 17" Powerbook is the most beautiful piece of computer hardware I've ever seen.

See that, you tried to flame me, but did I shoot back at you? No. I gave you a dignified, proper response. :)

mostly from this part: "And as far as OSX being "easy" to use...Damn straight. It's gonna be such a shame using an OS that lets me get more done in a day, let me tell you."

what exactly are you doing better on a mac that you couldn't do on a PC?

i hear people say stuff like this all the time but they never list exactly what they are doing or what amazing program they used.

enlighten me

Mike Douglas

How long does the battery last on those laptops?

yzero

i hear people say stuff like this all the time but they never list exactly what they are doing or what amazing program they used.

enlighten me

are you actually expecting a response? that's the whole idea.. fight for a piece of **** that you can't back up with good reason.. because there's always those people who like to be different.. so let them be

kryptonik

enlighten me

There are plenty of programs that work on the Mac, but Pcs don't have. They may have simlar programs, but they aren't just as good.

iTunes 4, Audion, Proteus, iDVD, and that is just some of the programs. There are much more. Tell me this tyhough, what can you do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac?

fissy

play recent games

i think WMP9 is a much more useful piece of software than itunes.

On a mac you have to install vlc just so you can watch a movie.

Diata

there are thousands and thousands of programs for the pc...and then there are the select for mac, which are all the ones you would actually need (excluding games)

threetonesun
iTunes 4, Audion, Proteus, iDVD, and that is just some of the programs. There are much more. Tell me this tyhough, what can you do on a PC that you can't do on a Mac?

I'm sure most people here could point you to a games website pretty quickly.

Also, as a big fan of freeware, does anyone know how much of it exists for Macs? I keep 95% of my PC freeware programs. I realize a lot of stuff comes with Macs out of the box, but not every little program does.

frod
mostly from this part: "And as far as OSX being "easy" to use...Damn straight. It's gonna be such a shame using an OS that lets me get more done in a day, let me tell you."

enlighten me

i think this is mostly an opinion based comment. for some of us, including myself, os x just seems to be designed in a way that makes getting what you want done easier and more efficient. personally i don't know why, but when i need to do anything it seems to take me less time to find the software i need, get it installed and set up, and use it. i guess this really has a lot to do with the community as well as os x itself.

the same could be asked of you, what exactly can you do better on a pc? we all understand the gaming situation, but more and more games from respectable game designers are being made for macs. all i know is that world of warcraft is coming to os x and that's all i'm going to be playing for a long long time, hehe. most of the people i know who own macs didn't buy them to play games, and most of the time this and the "cost issue" is the only complaints i see coming from the windows side of the world.

as for cost, my friend just bought a dell laptop, and my 15" powerbook is everything it is and more and costed less. i have 4x the ram he does, almost twice the battery life, same sized screen, mine weighs less and is thinner, i can burn cd's and dvd's, he can't. sure he may be able to encode mp3s in 2 less seconds than i can, but i don't really care about that.

so yeah, that's my opinion on the matter.

blzd|sicmade
I bought it stock, no extra RAM. It was $2639 after my student discount. If I need more RAM, I can always get it somewhere else.

lmao and pc's are still better and cheaper hahah u got ripped off bro u blind fool

screw steve jobs and apple the future of nowhere lmao hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahhahahahahahhahahah :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

frod
I'm sure most people here could point you to a games website pretty quickly.

Also, as a big fan of freeware, does anyone know how much of it exists for Macs? I keep 95% of my PC freeware programs. I realize a lot of stuff comes with Macs out of the box, but not every little program does.

check out versiontracker.com, all the free/shareware you could need for mac

frod
lmao and pc's are still better and cheaper hahah u got ripped off bro u blind fool

screw steve jobs and apple the future of nowhere lmao hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaahhahahahahahhahahah :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

and some people wonder why we were compelled to move to the mac community