• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Another Problem

Question

Bgnn32    8

As you may have figured out already, our company is upgrading to server 2008, and in their infinite wisdom they dumped our server guy before the project started.

So here is the problem I am having. We are building the Domain Controller from scratch, I have gotten Active Directory installed and configured, installed, and configured DNS as well.

Now from a client connected to the new domain if I click start - run and type \\domaincontroller it comes right up no problem. If I do that for any of the other servers, such as our print server, the first time after login it takes around 45 - 60 seconds before it comes up.

I thought this might be a DNS issue, but using the IP address doesn't work either.

It has been a long time since I worked with Windows Domain's, so is this just the way it is or is something configured wrong?

15 answers to this question

sc302    1,792

on the dc, dns needs to point to itself only unless there is another dns server internally.

in dhcp, the internal dns servers (ad and any other windows dns server that is ad integrated) should be the only dns servers that are in the scop

on the servers on the network, the only dns server that should be in there is the AD dns server and any other dns server that is ad integrated

on the dc dns server a forward should be setup to forward to the isp dns servers for dns lookup (in the forwards tab, there is an area where you specify forwards)

there should not be any dns servers in the dns field other than your internal AD servers, your internal AD servers will forward any dns requests that they do not know or understand to the ISP's DNS servers.

Once you have this setup right, come back and let us know if you still have any other problems.

If the IP address isn't working either, then it could be a routing issue. Give us a little more details on how the network is setup, also you may want to disable any firewall services on your pcs/servers on your network.

Bgnn32    8

on the DC DNS is pointing to 127.0.0.1

Forwarders are set up to the ISP DNS

Right now DHCP isn't giving the client DNS server's, they are set static to the DC

no other DNS servers are defined anywhere, execept for the ISP DNS ones in the forwarders tab.

sc302    1,792
on the DC DNS is pointing to 127.0.0.1

Forwarders are set up to the ISP DNS

Right now DHCP isn't giving the client DNS server's, they are set static to the DC

no other DNS servers are defined anywhere, execept for the ISP DNS ones in the forwarders tab.

DC DNS = IP add of DC not 127.0.0.1

Firewalls enabled on other servers? Firewalls enabled on the clients? are they crossing multiple subnets or just on one subnet?

if you go to a command prompt on another computer/server and type in

nslookup anyservername

what gets returned if you get a ip address then it is not a dns issue, it is something in the subnet or firewall settings on the individual machine or a rule in the switch if it is a layer 3 switch.

Bgnn32    8

Fixed the DNS setting on the DC. Tried disabling firewall on both server and client, no change. they are all on the same subnet. nslookup works fine.

We don't have a layer 3 switch, so that can't be the problem, and this problem occurs on the 3 test machines we have set up. From the DC everything is as fast as should be expected.

sc302    1,792

Check you event logs on the servers

Bgnn32    8

Nothing out of the ordinary showing up.

Bgnn32    8

Could this be some sort of problem with IPv6 being enabled? Let me try disabling that.

sc302    1,792

could be.

Bgnn32    8

nope not IPv6

sc302    1,792

I do not have these issues with my 08 domain. Something wasn't configured properly or someone changed something outside of the defaults. you can try changing the speed of the nic cards bring them down to 100 full and try 100 half. i have seen wierd things with improper cabling. try a different patch cable directly to the switch.

Bgnn32    8

Got it figured out, we are transitioning from Novell, and for some reason uninstalling the Novell client fixed the problem.

sc302    1,792

out from left field.....i will remember that for next time.

Bgnn32    8

I never in a million years would have thought of that, I got the tip from a friend who went through the same migration a year ago.

sc302    1,792

o I know about the novell client, but there was no mention of anything being novell.

Bgnn32    8

Oh, I forgot to mention that, sorry. Thanks for the help.