rant

PF Prophet

so your saying you do have illegal software koo glad you can admit it

John
so your saying you do have illegal software koo glad you can admit it

i didn't say that... don't read so much into people's comments :wacko:

Atom
i dont really give a **** about windows updates other then i ALWASE dissable them i dont want to have another "hotfix" cause my system to act like a drunken sailor (irate and incoherint)

i you dont like me thats fine if you do thats grate but so you all know its not gonna change me in the least i am who i am and im secure in that :)

:huh: :blink: wtf???

:laugh: id like to know what hotfixes your d/l

Landshark77

Its racist!

PF Prophet

hotfixe that caused windows display drivers to not inilize on startup and ms support emailed me back that it was a knowen issue with 1 or more of there hot fixes and they where looking into it that i should use system restore to step back

didnt help the change the hot fix made didnt go away even after i used a step back frona month earler

also had one that caused my nic and modem to all of a sudden dissable them selves :/

agin i was told this was a knoewn issue that would be resolved soon stupid fukin ms puttin out beta software (XP) then charging for it

sorry but everybody i know thats tryed it all say that its what xp should have been :)

John

note that microsoft says you should not install hotfixes unless you are experiencing the problem they are meant to fix. microsoft says it's better to wait for the next service pack if you aren't experiencing any issues.

PF Prophet

well it was sposta be a critacal update something to do with security i know becouse that was the only hotfixes i downloaded

PF Prophet

oh if sombody wants to try and hack me they can i dont care not like i have anything worth mesin with :) i dont even use ie anymore so no worrys about ie errors :)

blowdart
and to those who have MSDN/evals/corporate versions because they are "qualified": if you guys are using it as a gaming machine rather than a server, that is sad. Unless you do both server and gaming functions... which is still crossing the border...

Afraid not, some of us with personal MSDN subscriptions are sad enough to have actual servers at home for learning. One web server, one SQL box, one DHCP/DNS and mail server.

PF Prophet

server why would you want a server at home??? why use a server os on a home server :p

sorry i just find it funny that "everybody" who uses it for gaming must be priating it

John

i have a server OS on a home server. for the same reasons blowdart said: to learn about it. but mine's the eval version, not from MSDN.

Slacker

I can't coax Win XP SP1 to work on my computer. It keeps giving registry errors for no reason. I've narrowed the problem down to either processor or motherboard (I've replaced EVERYTHING else). However, I don't have this error in 2003. Plus I do find it more responsive, especially after running with all my stuff installed for a good month. XP seemed to slow down after 2 months for some reason

PF Prophet

xp=crap :) and yes i know about the reg thing wasnt ur mobo its just something that happens with xp on some people

xp gave me more trobble then 2k ever did i have "down graded" quite a few people to 2k becouse there systems didnt like xp or xp didnt like them (with and without sp1)

and xp shutdown got slow in a week when i used it 15 damned min to shutdown or restart is just to long

2003 startup is 2x as fast as xp :) love it

PF Prophet

oh and to the rich friends thin not really but why buy xp pro retail for 300(aprox what they charge) when for 115more ya can get somethign that is more up to date as well as having web server stuff built in whitch they all would like to play with

:) i know there ideots for not just getting xp pro and using it

though i could have just had them download the xp pro sp1 corp addition off emule would that have been better ? would have saved them $$$ though they could also dl 2k3 if they wanted

Martog

Hrmm, I've hardly ever had a problem with XP, and when I did it was generally a driver problem that would give me a BSOD, other than that, XP works like a champ. I bet Win2K PRO would as well, but Intel doesn't recommend running 2K on a P4 with HT enabled on the CPU. As for when I had 2003 on this system, well I had problems with games wanting to run correctly even with the latest drivers and such, and said screw it since 2003 is more geared towards server applications than workstation, and XP Pro w/SP1 works without a hitch.

Heck, my laptop I have runs Win2K3 slower than it ran XP, and it's a P3 900MHz with 256MB of RAM, I am seriously thinking of formatting the drive and reinstalling XP on it again to gain boot time, it takes too long too boot up. Don't give me crap about the hard drives being slower than desktops, no excuse why Win2K3 boots up slower than XP did. Heck, doesn't Win2K3 requirements state a P133, while XP is a P233? Interesting...XP runs faster...

I can generally tweak out a system pretty damn good, but I don't get why my systems quirk with Win2K3, maybe they are telling that I am using them for the wrong purpose, that XP is what I should be running...got me though...

Oh, $300 is for the retail, why get retail of an OS? The extra documentation crap? LOL, OEM, XP Pro with SP1 probably can be found for like $130-$140 easilly. But then again MS gave me two free copies of XP Pro on cds, the NFR cd's that is. :) And I wouldnt' want a stripped down version of Win2K3 either, I would at least want Win2K3 Server, Standard Edition which I believe is $800.

As for the web server stuff, WinXP Pro does include IIS 5.1 if you ever cared to look at the add/remove programs in XP Pro, you would see IIS sitting there. True, it is not 6.0, but all the same it is there. Then again for web servering, I tend to use my Ultra Sparc 5 which runs Apache + MySQL + PHP all in one than use IIS.

John
Heck, doesn't Win2K3 requirements state a P133, while XP is a P233? Interesting...XP runs faster...

that is odd :blink:

Oh, $300 is for the retail, why get retail of an OS?  The extra documentation crap? LOL, OEM, XP Pro with SP1 probably can be found for like $130-$140 easilly.

yep, i got mine for 130 :)

I wouldnt' want a stripped down version of Win2K3 either, I would at least want Win2K3 Server, Standard Edition which I believe is $800.

that's what i feel too, but people either don't care, or they'll use tweaknt.

As for the web server stuff, WinXP Pro does include IIS 5.1 if you ever cared to look at the add/remove programs in XP Pro, you would see IIS sitting there.

yes but xp has a hardcoded limit of 10 concurrent sessions with IIS.

aleni

when running anything related to vga cards in xp, like running windowfx, y'z shadow, object dock, y'z dock and such things, a bsod will show up with ati2dvag.dll got stuck in infinite loop, i have tried all the version of drivers, the official drivers from ibm and the catalyst series.

im running win2k now, and then i tried running windowfx, and object dock to test it out, no blue screen has appeared for a whole day after i installed win2k. but i do miss a clear type coz win2k doesnt have that, and i have tried eval of win2k3, it runs so good like win2k with clear type :D

PF Prophet

Martog DUDE you most me doing something very wrong if 2003 is slower then xp i have it running an a k6-2 550 with 256ram and its load time is less then 1/2 what it was when i ran xp on the same box

maby you should read/re-read theguide on making it into a workstation the read/re-read the what xp has the 2003 dosnt becouse by god theres no way if you followed the instructions that 2003 is gonna boot slower then xp

hell i installed 2003 on a p2-233 laptop the other day things only got 128ram and it works like a charm not quite as fast as 2k was but then agin i didnt have sp3 to install on 2k eather :/

maby ya should go back to xp man if you cant figuar out 2k3 then you shouldnt have it go back to your xp that dose everthing for you

oh i rarly got bosd in xp mainly had drivers fail to ini or the system take 14-45min to shutdown and restart

2k and 2k3 never gave me that problem

oh and thats funny about not running ht with 2k know a couple people that are and they never have any trobble :/

corse i avoid intel stuff since it took me 4 months to get them to replace a retail p3 chip i know some people hate amd but ya cant blame amd for all the problems with systems with amd chips menny times its dam via chipset thats causing the problems

i dont build systems for people using via chipsets anymore sis all the way never had a problem with a newer sis chipset :)

well gotta go more **** to do then i care to think about

ScrewzLuse

Hey, I'll be completely honest with you. I'm running a pirated version of 2003. Why? Because I ain't got the money to go out and buy Windows XP Pro or even home. The last OS I bought was Windows 98 (I pirated 98 SE). Oooohhh... Maybe I should go get a job or something. Oh your right, I had no idea to buy things I need a job for money. I obviously have a job but have other more important things to be paying for (for instance, food, I heard it's a requirement in human life). I'm not gonna waste my money on buying any more OSes from Microsoft. They haven't proven to me that ANY of their OSes have been worth buying since 98. So drop the crap about being pirated. Maybe people are pirating it but so what? Not everyone has money to blow on the OS (makes sense to charge an obscene amount of money for what programs run on [Linux isn't as user friendly as I'd like] ).

As for the server as a workstation. Yes, it's supposed to be used as a server but it's basically just windows XP with some upgrades. Now, what is Windows XP? Oh, a workstation? So, what you're saying, is to make an OS a server, all you have to do is add a few extra little features? But couldn't we do that with windows XP? I mean, there was IIS and Apache for XP, so what's the big deal about 2k3? Nothing. They optimized it a bit (you could get pretty close to the same results with some XP tweakage) and added some extra programs to make managing/creating a server easier. So that's worth upwards of $400? I think not. I'll pirate it until I can get it for cheaper.

BTW: I'm not against paying for software. If I find something that I think is well worth the $50 I'm prepared to spend on it, then fair enough. I'd prefer an original copy then a burned copy.

PF Prophet

i regret buying xp but i am glad i was able to trade the copys of xp i had for 2k3 though im still wokring off the copr install i setup b4 2k3 was officaly out

ms should learn a lession from the fact that so menny people pirat there **** and do something like insted of charge an arm and leg for the product charge less for th produce then charge a fee for tech support/autoupdate still give service packs and such away free but charge for a support subscryption

would save them alot of time and monny wasted trying to make stuff un-piratable

i know for a fact that menny users would pay extra for a version with offical support

i wouldnt i dont use ms tech support or auto update or even windows update no point its not nesserry and in fact with xp it caused me more problems then it cured

but then agin ms would have to get people that acctuly knew how to help to answer phones for them

i called ms 1 time over an xp problem (retail ver) and spent over an hr on the phone to be told that they knew of the issue and as of yet did not have a workaround or fix for it

(caused by a bad hotfix that wouldnt uninstall)

after that it wasnt long b4 i went back to 2k pro and wow what a dif 2k acctuly works as advertised

2003 brings what i love about 2k togather with some of the "nice" things in xp like easy app compatabuility though i never had to much trobble gettin anything to run on 2k so i cant say i need app compat

damn it gf wants me AGIN come back to this later

:)

RadishTM

I'm not gonna rant in this thread but I will say this quote by Paul Thurrott ....

I shouldn't have to even say this, but Windows 2003 is a server

product, not a workstation product. And, yeah, that's all I want to

say about it.

Radish.

John

LOL :laugh:

need i say more? veggie mod unofficially agrees :ninja:

PF Prophet

lol yes its a server os dosnt mean it dosnt make a grate workstation :)

HeartsOfWar

I am a students @ a 4 yr. university and like most university's we have an academic MSDN subscription. I pay 30 USD's a year and have legal right to OWN (1) ONE copy of all microsoft software that comes with the MSDN subscription... This include W2k3 Enterprise, standard, & Web edition.

I have recently tried the W2k3 enterprise as a workstation and personally I do see a BIG difference in performance... It definately has to do with all the services not being enabled by default.

I haven't decided whether I will stay like this or not... Something does pull at my heart when I'm using a 3,000 USD program for nothing near close to what it should be used for....

Either way... I just wanted to chime in and say that both sides have a reasonable argument.

PF Prophet

really isnt the user/owner/prucher the one who should choose what to use there os/system for

if you buy/owen it then you can use it as you wish IMHO other people dont have to agree but to tell sombody that there stupid or degrade them for using something in a way you dont aprove seems the only way menny people can show there feelings

if ya dont like it dont do it

if ya dont like it dont respond to questions asking for advice/help

:) 2003 rox as desktop os :D