rant

John
really isnt the user/owner/prucher the one who should choose what to use there os/system for

if you buy/owen it then you can use it as you wish

the owner of the software is microsoft. when you buy a copy of windows, you aren't buying the software, you're buying the right to use it. read the license. microsoft owns the software, and they give you the right to use it however you want with certain restrictions basically.

PF Prophet

ok read the licence dont see where it says ya cant/shouldnt use it as a workstation

and i know they owen the code what i mean is that why sould people like you beable to tell other how they can and cant/should and shouldnt use something they may owen ????

and i would rather BUY 2003 web then xp pro yea its more $$$ but hey its also more up to date and has loss bloat

and i know you can remove much of the bloat but why would i wana try and remove bloat when i can get an os that dosnt have it

John
ok read the licence  dont see where it says ya cant/shouldnt use it as a workstation

the license does not explicitly state that you can't convert it to a workstation, but it does say (article 4, section g) that "Reverse engineering, decompiling, or disassembling the Software is prohibited". the tools made (ntswitch/tweaknt) to "convert" the software may or may not use information gained from one of the abovementioned methods. if they have, i would imagine that anyone who uses those tools is violating the EULA. if they haven't, then i suppose it's ok to use them. that's the only part of the EULA that might be in question when converting it to a workstation.

however, if you don't convert it and just use it as a workstation, that is perfectly fine. though i see no reason to spend twice as much or more, when xp works just fine. xp is the same as server 2003 with the exception of a new kernel and server components. the kernel was not updated, but just cleaned up from what i understand. microsoft was haiving problems with whistler server and they chose to update it to NT 5.2 in the process. originally, .net server (now known as windows server 2003) was going to be the server version of xp.

my point here is that there is no real difference when using xp or server 2003 as a workstation. both should work just the same if you know what you're doing ;)

anarkhia

the good in 2k3...

its faster and dont have the bugs xp have (even using that crap sp1)

PF Prophet

ntswitch just changed reg keys thats all same is true for tweaknt ill use reg monotor and see what exectly is done later to buissy with another project atm

John

i know it's just a few differences in the registry, my point is HOW the creators of ntswitch figured that out.

PF Prophet

probbly people with no loves going thru and reading the reg finding the difrances or using a program that will compare them and show the difrances

i had a program like that at one time cant remmber what it was called but it worked on any file from txt ta dll ta exe anything ya had it could compare and show difrances

corse the files needed the same name and needed to be within a certen size of eachother or it wouldnt work :)