A linux Site

How many are interested in visiting a site similar to neowin.net but this one being a linux dedicated site.  

88 members have voted

1. 1. How many are interested in visiting a site similar to neowin.net but this one being a linux dedicated site.

• I would love to.
    • No.....Linux is still needs to reach the masses
    • What's linux?

forget about the neo thing...

we can't have sth that reminds of neowin...neowin is unique...so it'll be the forum we're gonna make!

they are 2 different things.

so it would be nice if you post your idea about the name of it :)

yes, having something to refer to our plan as would be nice, it needs to be something unique, and yet, i know it sounds difficult to think of names following all these criteria, but it also needs to remind or, inform people who we are, and or what we do, just like neowin suggests it is a primarily windows community, our name needs to suggest something about *nix / linux

I get all my latest Linux news from PC Linux Online

Plus theres lots more out there, would be nice to see a site as popular as Neowin though, but if you want to set up a great Linux site I hope you know the OS inside and out ;)

No one person knows the OS inside and out, and someone always knows something that someone else doesn't. With enough support, collectively we will know the OS inside and out.

yeh, hosting isnt the most important thing at hand, the site will look the same no matter who we get to host it, at the moment it sould be most important to decide on the name, and the content of the site, and then, how we are going to go about designing and doing it all

i think hashcake si right! B U T...to start sth like that you MUST have 10-15 people that know the os very very very well...after a couple of months the community will be able to hadle the questions of other people.

yeh, i know what you mean, the main reasoin that neowin is good, is because there are so many members taht are willing to help, it wont be much of a community without lots of willing members

Regardless of what you do with the site (I can't wait for it to happen), put Neowin button's every where to show support. Neowin rules. :)

I would love to see Linux Tourorials at a really popular site and maybe Neowin will give this new site a HUGE shout out and get all the Linux Neowinian's to go their for linux support.

That would be my second favorite site then, Neowin first of course.

Well, it would seem those who voted No haven't said anything..... so let me say why I voted no ;)

Basically, there are TONS of books, forums, websites, IRC chatlines ... and so on available for Linux help as is the same for Windows.

The problem is that almost nobody ever reads the instructions, does a search on the Net for help before asking others. I'm all for helping people but its not solving the bigger issue. I could spend hours helping answering the same questions even after making a website on the very subject because people want to ask not read or search for help.

I've thought about doing a similar website before but I've realised it would probably be a waste of time.

Drunken Master,

The same thing could have been said about Neowin..

most of the issues on here are because users dont read the manual, or they have crap hardware.. so is Neowin a complete waste of time?

:D

Drunken Master,

The same thing could have been said about Neowin..

most of the issues on here are because users dont read the manual, or they have crap hardware.. so is Neowin a complete waste of time?

:D

Could be. Depends on how you look at it.

I'd like to emphasize here that there's already at least 100 sites ( conservatively ) giving Unix/Linux advice for Noobs alone. There are probably already thousands. Unless: 1) Something completely different is being offered then I feel its not worth it.

Give out some links to some usefull forms. IMO the best seems to be the Gentoo one. There are some nice FAQ and guide me sites asides from what in the Linux HowTos ( which are useless sometimes unless you have a Phd in comp sci ;) ).

i think that there should be: forums, LEGAL downloads (ie no ripped music or illegal software), tutorials, ability for people to upload tutorials, i think that if we are going to give this a shot, it should be for all distrobutions of linux, as although one of us may be good at redhat, and know jack about debian, we dont want to turn it into a biased community, we should leave it open

Agreed, Should be considered an important part of the website.

Thinking of website name how about

thinklinux.net

thinklinux.net, i like it, esp the think bit, thinknix??? dont have the same ring to it, yeh, i like the thinklinux.net, assuming we can get a domain of that addy, yeh, i like it, if not we can always get a thinklinux.cjb.net and have it forward to whereever

any others like the name thinklinux.net?

im not heavily into the graphical design side of things, but, i know some html, and will do anything else i can to help in the development of this great idea of ours

We all should get together on a IRC server or some chat room to discuss things a little further.

My ISP is having problems right now(Comcast), so I don't have any internet connection at home, but Comcast thinks they know what the problem is and they are going to send some test signals to it when I get home today(let's hope).

I'm pretty decent with graphics, and I can code php, set up a forum (any board) just say when and where we can meet and I'll be there