Moments in your gaming career which made you go, "WOW!"?

Seeing the physics engine in HL2 for the first time, and playing through Bioshock for the first time where my biggest wow moments

Diablo 2 (babarian winmurl?-something ) age of empires 2 ( many archers shoot at once! :D ) and cant remember name but something with god powers in a small world (settlers?) all old but they get me in to pc gaming :D

remember name but something with god powers in a small world (settlers?) all old but they get me in to pc gaming :D

Populous?

Well, that may be a little too old. Incidentally now I feel old :argh:

Monkey Island on the PC, i loved the illustrations and the comedy was geniuis.

Simcity 2000, the graphics were excellent and it really felt like a futuristic city

Super Mario IV on the SNES, first intro to platformers in a big way.

Zelda III A link to the past, the world seemed endless, it was an actual suprise when i completed it, i thought i would just go on forever.

Doom, Rise of the Triad, Duke Nukem and UT for FPS

Final Fantasy VIII the story telling was truly excellent.

Bioshock and Fallout III really have me hooked

In no particular order...

The ending of COD4, and also the prologue mission (doing the cargo ship for real after the training mission was awesome!)

Getting out of the vault in Fallout 3

Metal Gear Solid - just everything, especially beginning sequence, and the ending

Half Life - the intro sequence, my first head crab :D

There are many more, but I'll leave it there for now :)

Everytime i played Tribes 1/2.

Tribes 2 was such an awesome experience..

I've kind of gotten numb to gaming now as I roll on towards my 30's. Nothing really impresses me any more, as much as it did when I first got into PC gaming about 15 years ago. The very best wow moments for me ever in gaming have been:

* First time I played Doom on a LAN back in school - must have been about 1993/1994? I was chasing friends around armed with a chainsaw and it was just the most mindblowing thing I'd ever seen - I loved it.

* First time I got a 3Dfx card in my PC and was able to play games like Quake 2 in OpenGL mode - it was just awesome compared to what I'd been used to before. Again, totally wow moments.

* Every time I got my PC over to a friends house for LAN parties around 1998/1999 - we used to game most weekends playing stuff like Unreal - Carmageddon especially was one of the most awesome games to play on a LAN - we used to play that damn game all night and go to bed at 6am! It was excellent.

These days not much impresses in the same way that it used to. I still love gaming but I'm not hooked on it like I used to be.

Populous?

Yea that one :D ... i was amased/WOW'ed by that game ^^

Here's just a few of my favourite gaming moments:

- Unreal Tournament in general was an awesome experience, especially the online. :yes:

- Exploring the village and surrounding areas in Resident Evil 4. It's not a traditional RE game, but still an experience I won't ever forget.

- Half life 2 has some fantastic moments that I'll never forget. The ones that stand out are the train station scene, first stepping out into the plaza and travelling along the lost coast.

- The All Ghillied Up mission in Call of Duty 4 was pretty awesome. It felt great playing a sniper in a ghilly suit. Wondering through the scorched apartment blocks was cool.

- Exploring the jungle in Crysis was amazing. I spent so much time just wondering around and approaching enemies in different ways. Not to mention the game is visually jaw dropping.

- The boss battles in MGS3 are still amongst the most exciting and original I've ever experienced. Fighting The End (or not if you shot him in his wheelchair or let him die of old age!) was a stoke of genius.

- Splinter Cell Chaos Theory's co-op campaign was excellent and there were some really good missions like the cargo ship, penthouse, displace and the bank. I'm actually replaying this through on my PC at the moment.

- Bioshock was an amazing experience too. My PS3 didn't get a break until I clocked it. The whole atmosphere of the game is superb.

I'm a console gamer :shifty:

Red Fraction (the first and the latest one) -- Masters of destructive environment.

Global Defense Force 2/Earth Defense Force 2017 -- Insane scale and amount of monsters. Don't mind that it has no story and is corny as hell.

Resident Evil 4 -- This game leaked atmosphere!

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas -- This game has more features, more variety, and more cheats than GTA IV could shake a stick at.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion -- This is a huge game that just pulls you in. This was the definition of next-gen to me (when I first got my 360).

Ace Combat -- I wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was a kid thanks to Top Gun and Independence Day :cry:

TimeSplitters -- So many characters, map-maker, a plethora modes -- great party game for gamers :D

Driver -- Before GTA, there was Driver and it kicked free roaming ass.

Crackdown -- "GTA on crack!" Jumping between buildings and collecting orbs will always be fun to me. One of those games like GDF/EDF that never gets old.

Edit: Oh shi-, how can I forget Psychonauts? Now that game is brilliant!

Too many - some in no particular order - MGS, GT, Max Payne, R6, C&C, NFS to name a few off the top of my head

Super Mario World - It was such a big leap from the previous Mario (and it's the first SNES game I played)

Final Fantasy VI (3) - Again it was such a leap from the previous game, I remember how excited I was when I first started playing it (lets not forget I was only 10 at the time ;))

Civilization (SNES) - I had so much fun playing this game with my friend, got me hooked on the series :)

SNES - The console in general, I spent much of my childhood playing my SNES and it was awesome!

1) Donkey Kong Country on the SNES in a department store....I was blown away

2) Zombies Ate my Neighbors - the first Big Baby level. Was totally not expecting that.

3) Zelda: Ocarina of Time, stepping out into Hyrule Field for the first time.

4) Fallout 3 - the assault on the Jefferson Memorial with Liberty Prime. First time I did it was at night, and it just looked awesome.

Seeing this cut scene in Ninja Gaiden for NES. At that time I thought graphics could not get any better than this LOL

ninja_gaiden_nes.png

Also, in Bioshock when you watch the first movie reel by Andrew Ryan and he says "Are you entitled to the sweat on your brow?" And when the reel finishes and you get your first glimpse of Rapture. I was like vjdiofcamclfjwlacmalc

Quake1 - I saw it and was like "woah".

When I saw Red Alert for the first time. Was like "what is this?" and have been hooked on C&C ever since.

The first time I saw Quake II running under OpenGL, and the coloured lighting etc blew me away.

MGS1 when Psycho-Mantis reads your memory card to tell you what games you play. That was unique.

FF7 - Aeris. Say no more.

The end of HL2, ascending the Citadel.

Atlas' reveal in Bioshock.

Dom finding Maria in Gears2.

well..

it was when i first played Max Payne..

and jumped in bullet time..

WHAT THE!!!!!!!!!...

''KHEEEOOOOOOOO''!!!

THA THA THA THA THA THA!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAA!!!

''WOOOOOOOOIK''!!!!..

Seeing this cut scene in Ninja Gaiden for NES. At that time I thought graphics could not get any better than this LOL

ninja_gaiden_nes.png

Oh damn you!! teh memories! :cry:

The 2 games that have made me truly be in awe are

-World of Warcraft the first time I played it and especially when you arrive in a capitol city for the first time and it's music starts.

-GTA III just because it was a completely new experience being able to free roam in a 3D world.

Other games that made me go wow are Bioshock just because of the beauty of the environment, GTA IV because of the physics, Sim City 2000 because it was so different then anything before it, and Myst because of the graphics.

Populous?

Could be Populous, Powermonger, or even Black & White depending on the poster's age. :)

Thought of another one - Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube, when your sanity meter dropped some of the things it would do (the fake blue screen, your character's head explode when you walk into a room, for example) were ace.