Moments in your gaming career which made you go, "WOW!"?

A wow moment, huh... The first time I'd start a game after a hardware upgrade would always be a wow moment for me, even in my old MMO days of Asheron's Call when it was simply a jump from low resolution/shadows off/piffpoor textures to maxed out settings. However...

Tales of Phantasia

From a technical standpoint, this on the SNES was a wow moment for me. The opening credits were the first and only time I remember hearing a full length song with vocals on the SNES.

Other than that, I mean, I'm pretty much a gaming hick. I went from being an NES/Genesis RPG nerd to a PS1 RPG nerd, where even Wild ARMs was a wow experience. Heck, my first FMV was a wow experience.

Seeing Vista with a finally-and-at-long-last updated version of Freecell was a mini-wow experience.

I already replied, but just remembered another one!

In World of Warcraft (Lich King) there's this cutscene right before 'The Battle for the Undercity' which was just completely epic, loved it.

HalfLife 2, where the walkers would bend/distort the world with their weapon... and Oblivion, when you can get up high on a mountain or castle and look around and see a HUGE world... very nice...

there are so many games that made a huge impact on me:

warcraft , c&c red alert , decent , quake , hexen , worms , doom 1&2 -> these games were why i got into pc's and continued to be in love with technology.

super mario bros 3 -> i love this NES game, one of my first console games

super mario world, donkey kong country 1, mario kart -> my best of the SNES; super mario world was radically improved from SMB3 in nearly every way. DKC was amazing, great gfx, great music, superb gameplay. Mario Kart, nuff said

goldeneye, perfect dark, mariokart 64, zelda ocarina of time, mario 64. In my opinion nintedo did a fantastic job on the n64; controllers with thumbsticks, 4 player ability out of the box, and amazing games to back it up. Mario 64 was mind blowing, and still one of the best 3D platformers of all time. Zelda OofT... what can I say, level design,music, gameplay... omg! ....... goldeneye, PD, MK64 .... multiplayer!!!... I enjoyed years of my childhood playing these games with friends until all hours of the morning.

... games since then....well.... there have been great games.. but nothing has left quite the lasting impression of these older games (i still play all the older games list from time to time, and play them as perfectly now as I did back then)... if you can say that.... that was a "WOW" game!

Edited by WolfDV

The movie The Wizard with Fred Savage when they revealed Super Mario Bros 3 for the very first time a year before the game was released

Thought of a few more since the last thread....

Myst on my dad's Win95 machine. Up until then, I'd played NES and Atari games, but mostly grew up on arcade, and was like "whoah, gaming on a computer?".

Had one a few hours ago playing NCAA 10 on PS3, and noting the huge overall graphical and animation jump over NCAA 08 (my new 46" Bravia didn't hurt, either).

Enjoying my first real 3D camera experience when my buddy rented Tomb Raider for the community PS1. Getting a similar feeling the first time I played MK 3D in the arcade.

Every time I see a new generation of racing sims come out, each one looking more and more photorealistic.

Every time I walk into a gaming expo, see everything around me, and poop myself.

Playing Unreal for the first time, man that game was jaw dropping back in the day :) Playing Half-Life for the first time, wasn't the first "endless level" FPS but it was mine and it was just awesome. Other games of note include (but not limited to):

System Shock 2

BioShock

Gran Turismo 3

Metal Gear Solid 3

Probably the first time I installed a 3d-card and ran Half-Life :) was my first pc and had only tried the game in software mode before.

Oh, and as a kid when dad brought me a NES and a bag literally filled with games.. that made me go wow

1.the day i picked up that 2600 controller and the stuff onscreen did what i wanted it to, i was hooked forever

2.the first time i head the voice say "stay a while, STAY FOREVER" on mission impossible on the c64

Hmm... there's loads, but here's a few:

Ocarina of Time - I think my first "big" wow in Ocarina was when I saw Ghoma for the first time, I bricked it!! I wasn't really sure what to do, I had always just learned that swinging the sword killed stuff, and that approach didn't work very well at first :laugh:

Link's Awakening - Not entirely a definitive wow, but it was the first time that I had played any Zelda, and really, it was the first time I played a game quite like Zelda. The whole game was just a wow experience. It was also my first "moral" wow - an enemy yelled at me telling me that if I wake the wind fish, the entire world would fade away, and it really made me take a step back and question the my morality and justification of my actions when playing a video game, it was really something else. To this date, only a few other games have made me question my actions in the way LA has.

Warcraft 3 - Seeing the opening FMV for the first time literally made my jaw drop, I was extremely impressed.

God of War 1 - It wasn't when I was playing it, but a friend of mine was telling me how good it was. So, I hopped onto Gamespot and saw Jeff (yes, that Jeff) had a review of God of War, so I checked it out and "wow'd". I picked it up the same day :laugh:

Half Life 2 - Escaping the train station and going out into the central area of town (ashamedly, I forget the name of the place), I was truly impressed by the quality of the visuals, and the stunning polish on the NPC AI, it was definitely something else.

The Wii Remote - When the Wii Remote was first unveiled (I think at TGS '05?), I was literally ecstatic with the brand new controller, I was so excited! It was most definitely one of those "WOW!" moments.

"Zelda 2005" trailer - When the first TP trailer was announced at E3 2004. Do I need to say more then this? :laugh:

Game Boy Color - Not an in-game moment, but I was truly wowed when my mum got me a Game Boy Color with my copy of Pokemon Gold :laugh: I didn't expect it at all, I didn't even ask for it (I mean, I wanted it, but it was something that was generally *way* too expensive for me to have), I actually questioned whether it was okay to have LOL! I couldn't believe I had one. To this day - I still have it! It's even within reaching distance :p

There's probably more, but I figure I've talked enough :p

WOW! Moments:

- Red Faction- Geo mod was cool

-Metal Gear Solid 2,3,4.- Great story

-GTA 4- Impressed by car damage textures and the sunset.

GTA 4 the first time i crashed into a car a neiko went flying out the windscreen, that was awesome

1. World of Warcraft - Raiding Horde cities for For The Alliance!/the Death Knight starting quests
  2. Fallout 3 - Taking down a Behemoth for the first time/the last mission with Liberty Prime
  3. Mass Effect - The part in the first mission where you're shooting your way to the front of a train. That just got me hooked.

holy hell yeah, the part in the last quest when he actually talks to you... amazing

Ah, I forgot a few more:

Gran Turismo 3 - I played the hell out of this game. :D The graphics were a big leap from the PSX days. I remember getting it for my B-Day. Such a great day.

Bioshock - One hell of a way to start a game :) The art geek in me appreciated all the little details borrowed from the Art Deco/Nouveau/Steampunk styles of art . I often found myself stopping in game to appreciate all the detail -- such eyegasm :omg:

Zelda: OoT - Oh man, this game is great! The unique music, the scale, diversity, and the dynamic feel of the game with citizens going about their business... in a way it was like a mini Oblivion to me, but with way more style.

cod4 - after first mission i knew i was in for a treat, made me feel like i was in hollywood movie at times. :laugh:

half life 2 (and ep 1 &2) too many to mention.

mass effect, the storyline and how your choices affect the game.

oblivion, beautiful graphics, amazing quest/side quests. it was great to see the whole terrain after coming out of prisons secret passage (or whatever it was called)

i thought freelancer was an amazing game as well.

Leaving the woods for the first time in ocarina of time

oh my gosh that was unbelievable for me. I was in there so long I never wanted to leave the forest.

The last half hour or so of Mass Effect was one of the finest moments in gaming I have ever witnessed. .

:D I'm closing in on that moment.

Let's see... Call of Duty 4 when escaping the sinking boat was a "WOAH!".

Hmmm... Final Fantasy VII at many places in the game! Crysis when spawning a TAC launcher in the editor, oh yes did I have fun with that.

Call of Duty 5: WaW the first time you play as Russian (Sniper map).

EDIT: Of course Half-Life 1 & 2 at many many places, both are beyond godlike in the terms of quality.

MA'ing

Must have been a fluke. *cough*

First ever game that "WOW"'d me was Unreal. After you escape the Vortex Rickers, looking over the cliff was just stunning back in the day. Has to be one of the best single-player games of all time for me.

In the good old days, around 2000-ish, when Counterstrike was fun, I got 3 headshots on one shot from a scout ;D that was...WOW :D

Man there are such many games that made me wow.... I'll name a few:

Secret of Mana, really it's my favorite game of ALL time forever and ever. My big brother got it from one of his friends while I was still little. The moment he turned on our SNES and the "opening" played with the music to the titlescreen just made me go WOW and I really dropped a tear of joy.

Yoshi's Island is another game that made me wow, the graphic style just amazed me.

Lylet Wars or better known as Starfox 64. I must have been 9 years or so old and I went to a department store with my mum when I first saw a N64 it had Starfox playable. Played the first level of Coneria and it made me go WOOOW...

3D... speaking team mates, flying, enemies anywhere the graphics.... a week later I got my own N64 :rofl:

Zelda a Link to the Past: You walking in the rain at the beginning to rescue a princess, EPIC

Zelda: Ocarina of Time: The first boss Battle against Goma..... hell was I scared xD

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle: The first level where you grind down the road with high speed, HELL YEAH

Time Hollow on the DS along with Another Code: Both games had a wow atmosphere and story

And to finish this (I could still name some more^^), fl0wer for the PS3. This game is so insanely beautiful I literally cried.