Opera: Microsoft's 'minor tweak' of Windows 7 not enough

Opera burn in hell.

As has been said a million times before, if a company creates an OS, they should be able to put any damn component in it they like. Screw Opera.

@markjensen

I am pretty sure the result wasn't there before. By me adding the page to mine perhaps it made the Google Bot more aware of it, or while the bot scanned it then it was able to add it to the results. If it didn't there would be no point on Search Wiki, I think the whole point is to improve results. If it's for you only it's pointless because how many times do you people search the same thing over and over?

@dhan

How can IE6 not be crap when it crashed all the time?

Oh shut it Opera, no one wants to use your piece of **** browser anyways.

They treat their users like they don't know anything, that doesn't spark any confidence. I use Windows, I install Firefox and completely ignore IE. It's not brain surgery.

I don't ignore IE; however, I do consistently ignore Opera. I have one thing against Firefox, however; their consistent plethora of add-ins (most to add features that are native in IE 7 and 8) that people swear by, even though they are quite aware that the Fox is playing catch-up because the add-ins are *not* native features (as they are in IE 7 and/or 8). Besides, if I want a lightweight standards-complient browser, I'll use Arora (a no-cost Webkit-based browser that I first ran into with Kubuntu Karmic Koala M2; however, there are versions for MacOS, Linux, and Windows. I have the Windows version up in the background as I type this.) as opposed to Opera (it is, in fact, lighter than Opera, Firefox, Safari 4, or even Google's own Chrome, yet it uses the same plug-ins as Firefox; what makes it all the more hilarious is that it's hosted by Google Code).

http://code.google.com/p/arora/ (Arora home page)

PS: I have nothing to do with the development of Arora; I'm simply a happy user of this surprisingly quick lightweight browser.

@dhan

How can IE6 not be crap when it crashed all the time?

Rarely crashed for me. What I find most amusing is that people blame the browser for the crashes, when its more than likely to be an add-on, or an instability with your OS....

Rarely crashed for me. What I find most amusing is that people blame the browser for the crashes, when its more than likely to be an add-on, or an instability with your OS....

I'll tell you what. That is scarier than an application instability!

Really easy for Opera, make an OS to go with their browser? :D

That's what Google is doing! :p

I'll tell you what. That is scarier than an application instability!

Scary indeed!

But even that is likely to be the product of some other piece of software, or hardware...

Obviously opera doesn't seem to be favorite subject in here (specially for MS fan boys) but surely it should be appreciated that opera exists now and can become better (for those who think it zucks, at least it updates faster with innovative features). It is easy to criticize but how many of you actually made a browser? In old days when Netscape vs IE was going on, many preferred having both.

Saying things such as "burn in hell" is not good (it shows that change is not good)

I'm on the side of Opera :D obviously Microsoft should cut some FAT! Constantly digging into the lives of people by invading privacy! Look at that Windows media player for instance, I'm tried of using Anti-Spy softwares to disable "Automatic" functions, tweaking all the nonsense so that softwares behaves right and does not phone HOME!

This is like CIA keeping your life's logs and sending it back to it's base! How annoying is that? They make the OS, they make the browser, they make the network drivers so, are we to trust Microsoft blindly for everything??? I'm so happy that my router is OUTside my system and gives me full information of which software behaves badly.

Hahaha, JunkMail, you really make me laugh, it's just one stupid post after another.

You are suggesting that Microsoft should cut fat, but you support the idea of including others browsing into the operating system?

Windows Media Player does not phone home, it does stuff like song tagging and so on, something a lot of players already do. What exactly are they phoning home about? The only other thing is Windows activation, which they have a perfect right to do to stop piracy.

A lot of people thought Vista had a lot of 'DRM', but a lot of people didn't realise that Vista had support for playing 'DRM' content, and not actually adding DRM to peoples files like music etc (unless of course your one of those stupid idiots who forget to untick the DRM for WMA files).

I don't ignore IE; however, I do consistently ignore Opera. I have one thing against Firefox, however; their consistent plethora of add-ins (most to add features that are native in IE 7 and 8) that people swear by, even though they are quite aware that the Fox is playing catch-up because the add-ins are *not* native features (as they are in IE 7 and/or 8). Besides, if I want a lightweight standards-complient browser, I'll use Arora (a no-cost Webkit-based browser that I first ran into with Kubuntu Karmic Koala M2; however, there are versions for MacOS, Linux, and Windows. I have the Windows version up in the background as I type this.) as opposed to Opera (it is, in fact, lighter than Opera, Firefox, Safari 4, or even Google's own Chrome, yet it uses the same plug-ins as Firefox; what makes it all the more hilarious is that it's hosted by Google Code).

PS: I have nothing to do with the development of Arora; I'm simply a happy user of this surprisingly quick lightweight browser.

I have this thing against people who say all firefox addons are included natively in other browsers, its a ridiculous statement. There are a PLETHORA of incredibly useful firefox addons that have features that other browsers most certainly do not have by default.

Obviously opera doesn't seem to be favorite subject in here (specially for MS fan boys) but surely it should be appreciated that opera exists now and can become better (for those who think it zucks, at least it updates faster with innovative features). It is easy to criticize but how many of you actually made a browser? In old days when Netscape vs IE was going on, many preferred having both.

Saying things such as "burn in hell" is not good (it shows that change is not good)

Opera used to have built-in browser adverts as well, innovative huh?

Opera are they're own worse enemy, they screwed themselves right from the start where a user would have to pay money to get rid of the built in banners. Firefox came from absolutely nothing, but it won people over by being open source, by having add-ons to increase it's functionality and so on.

Chrome has Google behind it, and Google are great with advertising and getting Chrome out to new users.

Opera are just being little bitches about everything.

at least it updates faster with innovative features

What new and innovative features has Opera brought to the playground in the last couple of versions?

And if you say Opera Unite, you're destined for the failtrain...

I have this thing against people who say all firefox addons are included natively in other browsers, its a ridiculous statement. There are a PLETHORA of incredibly useful firefox addons that have features that other browsers most certainly do not have by default.

Exactly, don't know where all that came from.

The Add-ons (not Add-ins *sighs*) give Firefox greater functionality than all the browsers on the market.

well, Its better to have more browser products in general. Past doesn't matter when "now" is "OK". If someone else joins browser lines, I will still like it. When Safari joined, I liked it (even though i trashed it but still liked it). More choices always better. Sticking to one browser for lifetime looks "boring" hehe

Internet Explorer still doesn't have decent download manager is that something innovative at all? Maybe IE9 hehe

A browser add-in (for *any* browser) adds additional bloat and complexity. If a browser add-in remains an add-in (as opposed to a built-in), the question has to be asked why that is.

From what other users have said (here at Neowin), the biggest attraction Firefox has is very much that stable of add-ins and plug-ins. Wasn't IE 6 widely criticized for being too feature-heavy and bloated? (And hasn't *Firefox* been widely praised for being light and nimble by comparison?) If you're going to take a lightweight browser and weigh it down so heavily with add-ins/plugins/complexity that it is more ponderous than the browser you criticize, then from what I can see, your judgement is suspect.

Ie6 didn't even have tabbed browsing I would hardly call it 'feature heavy'

And your argument keeps ignoring that there are many, many addons that are very, very important to people but not something every user needs enough include it in the browser.

And firefox does have plenty of features built in, I don't see what you are complaining about. It has less features than opera yes, but it certainly has more than chrome and is on par or has more than ie8 (hell ie8 doesn't even have a download manager...).

For example some of the addons I use are all very important to me and keep me using firefox, but aren't necessarily a good idea to build in.

APB - NEVER going to be built in for many reasons..

downthemall and flashgot - Useful for very heavy downloaders like me but not needed for average user

Again, firefox has plenty of features by default compared to other browsers. In addition to a perfectly good feature set in includes an incredibly robust extensions system for practically unlimited customization. Firefox can do things other browsers simply can't because of this.

And besides startup time firefox is also a perfectly fast browser, its faster than ie8 and opera(mainly with js heavy sites, they are pretty close in speed though) and on par with chrome (a bit slower) On my system it never uses more than like 150 mb of ram.

A browser add-in (for *any* browser) adds additional bloat and complexity. If a browser add-in remains an add-in (as opposed to a built-in), the question has to be asked why that is.

From what other users have said (here at Neowin), the biggest attraction Firefox has is very much that stable of add-ins and plug-ins. Wasn't IE 6 widely criticized for being too feature-heavy and bloated? (And hasn't *Firefox* been widely praised for being light and nimble by comparison?) If you're going to take a lightweight browser and weigh it down so heavily with add-ins/plugins/complexity that it is more ponderous than the browser you criticize, then from what I can see, your judgement is suspect.

I'm totally with you, one of the reason why I quit using IE is because every nasty malware, yahoo, google got attached to IE making me feel like I'm an open book!

Bah. Depends on the add-in.

I use flashblock. It actually speeds things up and uses less resources now, because no pesky flash ads. :ninja:

Opera used to have built-in browser adverts as well, innovative huh?

Opera are they're own worse enemy, they screwed themselves right from the start where a user would have to pay money to get rid of the built in banners.

Opera are just being little bitches about everything.

I used to pirate Opera because I didn't understand how a browser could charge money when there were others out there that were free. I eventually left Opera completely for IE, and then left IE for firefox. Opera needs to stop crying. They ****ed themselves in the beginning.

What new and innovative features has Opera brought to the playground in the last couple of versions?

And if you say Opera Unite, you're destined for the failtrain...

Speed dial...

1. Opera are whining little kids that can't code.

2. Opera is from Norway.

3. Why does the EU take complaints from non-member states?

It's a bit like GAZ complaining that not enough people buy their cars, and want the EU do do something about it.

So it can use FF addons? Anyways, I install FF and use it as my primary browser on Windows. On Linux I have it as Well. I then use IE as secondary on Windows and Konqueror as secondary on Linux. Then I use Opera as tertiary on both.

I had it crash everyday. It was on school machines with no addons on XP. Well there was I think one add on, for a "Classroom management program" that could disable internet access...

A lot of people thought Vista had a lot of 'DRM', but a lot of people didn't realise that Vista had support for playing 'DRM' content, and not actually adding DRM to peoples files like music etc (unless of course your one of those stupid idiots who forget to untick the DRM for WMA files).

I thought Vista had DRM, but that was because everyone said it did. Can't any OS play DRM protected content as long as it has the software?

Edited by mpg187

Ie6 didn't even have tabbed browsing I would hardly call it 'feature heavy'

And firefox does have plenty of features built in, I don't see what you are complaining about...Again, firefox has plenty of features by default compared to other browsers.

Ya, IE6 has no tabs, that sucks.

And ya FF has spellcheck by default which is cool. FF FTW.

I'm totally with you, one of the reason why I quit using IE is because every nasty malware, yahoo, google got attached to IE making me feel like I'm an open book!
But now people are forcing their toolbars on FF too. Before everyone forced them on IE, so you just never used IE and used FF, but now they are there.
Bah. Depends on the add-in.

I use flashblock. It actually speeds things up and uses less resources now, because no pesky flash ads. :ninja:

Ya those are annoying. Plus I hate on youtube the video starts playing automatically. There are time when I open the page to view/reply to comments, or open a new video, but not play it until the one playing is done...

Edited by mpg187