• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Windows 7 RTM Discussion

DerAusgewanderte    0
Rebuilding it would change the build number and require resetting the sign-off procedure. If it truly has RTMed the build number will not change because there will be no more changes to the RTM'ed code. They would not have two different builds with the same number floating around.

the question really is " what is considered code " ? I agree with you that it doesn't make sense. if they did change the build number, that same build number would have to be implemented into each file header, and therefore code.

ESC12345    0
Microsoft would have made an announcement if it was official that their own product went gold. It's just a rumor. :)

The rumor is in fact attributable to the President of the Windows Division of Microsoft who declared on the 13th that Windows 7 had RTMed. But then they had to have a "transcription error" for several days declaring it not-RTM while the rest of Microsoft caught up with him.

mlerner    0
Microsoft would have made an announcement if it was official that their own product went gold. It's just a rumor. :)

Not always, working for a software company we usually delay the announcement after the final build and sanity testing. It could have very well already been signed off and starting prep for manufacturing.

boogerjones    86
The rumor is in fact attributable to the President of the Windows Division of Microsoft who declared on the 13th that Windows 7 had RTMed. But then they had to have a "transcription error" for several days declaring it not-RTM while the rest of Microsoft caught up with him.
Welcome to Neowin, but you're way off.

A) He (Bill Veghte) isn't the president of the Windows division

B) He never declared that Windows 7 RTM'ed on the 13th; it was a misprint in the published transcription

C) The July 13th target has little to do with the sign-off process for the RTM, which allegedly occurred last night/this morning.

The Patri0t    0

announce it already Microsoft < _ <

C'mon!

Yusuf M.    1,362

I'll believe it once Microsoft announces it.

qdave    159

^indeed. there has been far too many 'rtms' to believe anyone but microsoft. i think people should chill for a week or so :p

crazlunatic    0

i heard the voting results are on MSDN as well

Zain Adeel    197

like many ppl guessed here...

the RTM build number will be raise to 7700 for sure.. :p

Phemo    45
like many ppl guessed here...

the RTM build number will be raise to 7700 for sure.. :p

Is that being sarcastic? :) If 7600.16385 got signed off, then that is the RTM build number.

Gio Takahashi    29

Humm. I guess I'll just look forward to the actual confirmation from Microsoft.

Joni_78    48

One Microsoft partner said couple of days ago that Windows 7 has hit RTM so I guess the news from wzor are indeed correct.

Now waiting for my free copy of RTM from Connect :woot:

Pikey    29

It's still just a re-hashed .VHD from what I read .. so not a 'real' ISO as far as I'm concerned!

Subject Delta    108
No new icons, I have no idea why you guys are so obsessed with this. There won't be anything new dropped in last minute.

Firstly it isn't an obsession, someone posed the question, I just put an opinion in, and secondly there is no need to respond like that, manners don't cost anything ya know (even for you 31337 sceners) ;)

IINexusII    0

i just did a hash check with the 16385 i have and its wrong :(

Quillz    1,011

Does this supposed new RTM build sport new startup/shutdown sounds? Every single release of Windows has always had its own startup/shutdown sounds, so it seems strange Windows 7 wouldn't. (Along with some new icons.)

Gary2MBz    20
Does this supposed new RTM build sport new startup/shutdown sounds? Every single release of Windows has always had its own startup/shutdown sounds, so it seems strange Windows 7 wouldn't. (Along with some new icons.)

There are new icons you know. Note the Control Panel, HomeGroup, Games, etc. icons. Its a minor release not a whole new version of NT like Vista was. As for the sounds, change the sound scheme if the default reminds you of Vista.

BTW the first leak of 7600.16385 was just a repackaged and rehashed VHD. The new ones from which WZOR describes are 2.33GB and 3.00GB like the xxx84. I won't go into detail on how to get it, figure it out yourself the hint is there anyways.

Gio Takahashi    29
One Microsoft partner said couple of days ago that Windows 7 has hit RTM so I guess the news from wzor are indeed correct.

Now waiting for my free copy of RTM from Connect :woot:

Connect users are really going to get the final copy? I heard otherwise.

Quillz    1,011
Its a minor release not a whole new version of NT like Vista was. As for the sounds, change the sound scheme if the default reminds you of Vista.

Windows 98 and Windows ME were also minor releases, not whole new versions of the MS-DOS kernel, and yet they got new icons and new startup/shutdown sounds.

joontje    0

i'll just wait until the 'real' final copy surfaces.. i have no intrest in installing a rebuilt ISO.

Gio Takahashi    29

Generally, each new release of windows have new iconset and shutdown/startup theme. I believe someone posted a desktop screenshot of each releases of windows since 3.1 to prove this recently.

Joni_78    48
Connect users are really going to get the final copy? I heard otherwise.

Thats what the reward has always been for active Windows Beta testers.

Gio Takahashi    29
Thats what the reward has always been for active Windows Beta testers.

Ah, okay. I recall that Vista users that submitted bugs for Connect received free RTM. Wasn't sure if this would apply to Connect.

Chris123NT    361

Sorry if this bursts any bubbles, but connect testers will NOT be getting a free copy of Windows 7.

They only gave techbeta 2 builds for a reason. Windows betas have become like office, get 2 builds and a pat on the back, nothing more. So for those of you expecting a copy, don't hold your breath.

excalpius    943

Well, since the morons at Wzor have been announcing "this is it! RTM!!!" every week for the past two months, you have to assume one of these days they are going to hit it on the nose, hahaha.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day...