Windows 7 RTM Discussion

Who exactly is Paul Thurott? Would someone like to fill me in?

Wow, like you sig, you have been "livin in a box!" :p

Why, he's the foremost expert in Microsoft applications!

Wow, like you sig, you have been "livin in a box!" :p

Why, he's the foremost expert in Microsoft applications!

That's the 6th time someone has said that to me.

Honestly.

I'm only 14, I'm not in my 30s like some people on here so I don't know all these people.

That's the 6th time someone has said that to me.

Honestly.

I'm only 14, I'm not in my 30s like some people on here so I don't know all these people.

He's just some guy that thinks he knows everything, and is generally a moron. He being Paul Thurrot. I find it very hard to believe that he has the RTM copy.

It's tempting to suggest he is showing shots of 16384 and not 16385, since the latter was compiled at 12:55 pm on July 13th, while his shots show a progression from 11:58 to 12:00 pm...which would have been before 16385 was compiled. But, his clock could simply have been off :p.

LOL

Guys, it's just a few shots of a clean windows installation process... i'm sure MS won't change the setup interface now and Thurrot hasn't proven this is the final build in any of these shots.

Who exactly is Paul Thurott? Would someone like to fill me in?

He's the biggest 'knob' on the internet ATM, and that reputation is growing by the second :)

I don't know how much to believe Paul Thurrot, but he seems to have screenshots, called, "Windows 7 RTM Clean Install Screenshots", here:

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/

Doesn't state the build though. Maybe he's right, maybe not.

he must be using an older build because there is clearly no screen shot that shows options on which version to install (home basic, home premium...). And that is an option that wasn't there in previous builds but is now in the ..85 build.

He's just some guy that thinks he knows everything, and is generally a moron. He being Paul Thurrot. I find it very hard to believe that he has the RTM copy.

True, he does often like to boast that he's "in with MS" yet just gets the same leaked builds as the rest of us.

A birdy told me that 6000.16386.vista_rtm.061101-2205-524 has been built (though it only has localization stuff). Not that it matters, but i am not installing anythings just yet :)

Erm what has Windows Vista got to do with anything here?????

he must be using an older build because there is clearly no screen shot that shows options on which version to install (home basic, home premium...). And that is an option that wasn't there in previous builds but is now in the ..85 build.

*sigh* If he used an install key, those options wouldn't have shown up at all.

Erm what has Windows Vista got to do with anything here?????

ha, good one. I didn't even see that one. that's what you get if you google and copy paste stuff, hehe.

Well, that could simply be because whoever put the ISOs together (remember, none of the 7600.16385 ISOs are direct from MS) deleted the ei.cfg file which predetermines which version gets installed. Going by the fact that the ISO filenames state "Ultimate" in them, I think MS will be shipping individual ISOs for each OS version once again. Of course, the basic stuff including the install.wim file will all be the same (so Anytime Upgrade can work) but ei.cfg will pre-determine what version gets installed.

In other words, I very much doubt that a proper ISO from MS or a retail disc will allow you to choose what version you install as. You enter the CD key after Windows has actually installed and booted up and if you delete ei.cfg, the version prompt is the first thing you see - this would be confusing for your average user and it makes no sense to provide that option at that point of setup before entering the CD key. The way it was done in Vista made sense (where you get the prompt if you hit next without entering a CD key) but now with 7's CD key prompt being at the point it is at, I very much doubt a legit ISO will give you the option to select version. The ISO filenames just back that up, in my opinion.

Of course I may well be wrong, but I don't think I am. If we were going to see a version selection I'm quite sure MS would've made the CD key prompt appear first.

Is it me or does Paul Thurrot look like "The Comedian" in Watchmen!! Haha. Yea, I'll wait til the final annoucement from Microsoft.

Thread Heavily Cleaned

Talk of torrents, warez, illegal downloads and other such activities will result in warns / suspensions. You guys have been served notice...

Community Rule #2- No Warez (links) & Cracks.

Help, requests or posts that discuss circumvention. This includes linking to illegally obtained software, movies & music files - posting about it, and suggesting obtaining it.

Thurrott likes to think he is' 'Mr Microsoft', but in reality, he is far far from anywhere near being so, guy is an 'idiot' pure and simple ;)

Thurrott likes to think he is' 'Mr Microsoft', but in reality, he is far far from anywhere near being so, guy is an 'idiot' pure and simple ;)

Thurrott is a reporter/(journalist) plain and simple, and as every reporter in the universe, he knows very little about the stuff he are talking/writing about, but because he talking/writing to the general public, even though that requires very low proficiency on the subject, he can and usually he is appearing as an expert to most of the people, therefore he is popular and frequently listened/readed. Thats all. Sometimes of course ego takes over... :)

Thurrott is a reporter/(journalist) plain and simple, and as every reporter in the universe, he knows very little about the stuff he are talking/writing about, but because he talking/writing to the general public, even though that requires very low proficiency on the subject, he can and usually he is appearing as an expert to most of the people, therefore he is popular and frequently listened/readed. Thats all. Sometimes of course ego takes over... :)

While the above statement is rather well put and true, I'll just say that the guy is an idiot again lol!!

I'm still open to believing that 16385 is RTM. What purpose is there in making sure the sub-build number matches Vista RTM? Oh right, there is none.

Because that's the file structure on \\winbuilds\ inside MS. They probably didn't compile an ISO and instead it's in folders, not unusual.

Thanks for that clarification.

Still want an x86/x64 AIO, which may come later.

Also to all the thurrott bashers out there... (I was once one of those) The guy may come off as arrogant sometimes, but he really is a decent guy. And dont go saying he doesnt know what hes talking about because he does more so than 90% of the people here. In fact I bet money anyone bashing him here has less access then he does. He actually goes to redmond and sits down with REAL Microsoft employees. He does have people that willingly give him stuff. I also know Rafael wouldnt be wasting his time writing a book with him if he was a bad guy. Yeah he doesnt always have his facts right but who does? Hes correct most the time.

They filled it up with a completely new icon set, new default wallpapers, new sound scheme and the new Aero Diamond theme.

Oh yes, Aero Diamond is a must-have! :rofl: