Gentoo

Yes :D

Seriously though it requires a little more knowledge to get everything up and running, the portage system is great but it means you have to compile everything yourself (most goes automatic)

I?d say mostly if you want a setup fully optimized for your own system and want to have full control, it also very easy to keep up-to-date, you just do a "emerge -u world" and all packages get updated

From the portage documentation

Portage will then attempt to update all packages mentioned in the world file and will update any dependencies if needed. Dependencies are upgraded to the newest version available that satisfies the needs of the package being upgraded. Packages that are not listed in world and are not dependencies of the aforementioned packages are not updated.

I guess it depends what packages you considoer to be part of the OS.

Portage documentation: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/portage-manual.xml

Give it a try. All you need is:

- plenty of time

- good knowledge about your hardware and the modules your kernel needs

- a fairly fast cpu

- a good internet connection

I switched from debian and am very happy I did so :)

Is Gentoo worth trying out? I'm on Redhat 9 atm.

Absolutely. :yes:

Setting up the base system the very first time can be a bit time consuming but the results are well worth it.

All you need is:

- plenty of time

- good knowledge about your hardware and the modules your kernel needs

- a fairly fast cpu

- a good internet connection

oh is that all?

Gentoo is pretty cool, the updating mechanism is very efficient, and you don't have to deal with accounts etc (such as Redhat Network). Gentoo also allowed me to run the latest 2.4 kernel on my sparc machines, so I am definitely impressed. I still have quite a few redhat machines running, and just installed Redhat 9 to keep up with the changes etc. Gentoo support is pretty good too, forums are nice, and you can always find help in one of their irc channels on irc.freenode.net. Downside? You need a lot of time, patience and a good internet connection.

Well...a good internet connection helps, but I have completed 4 stage 1 (all the way up to gnome and firebird) installs on my 28.8 kbps connection. It only took about 3-4 days each time and that is on a 600 Mhz comp. So it is possible to install it on a dial-up connection and slow computers. Just do it. It is great!

yea well

this is the thing

i use redhat mostly... and i actually prefere it to xp.. i can do everything i need, and can use gaim and nmap.. i dont need xp for those 2 items..

however, i am installing gentoo - on connectix/virtual machine as we speak

its been going for 2 days. i got a 1mb cable connection, and i am on stage 2 on day 2. lool

what are they "main" differences between redhat and gentoo.. i mean

advantages/pro's/con's...

someome explain please :p

Gentoo d/l all the packages from the net ??? Once you have done this once, are they stored locally or you have to d/l them again if you want to re-install ? is there any place you can d/l the full distro ?

Gentoo d/l all the packages from the net ??? Once you have done this once, are they stored locally or you have to d/l them again if you want to re-install ? is there any place you can d/l the full distro ?

no.

unfortunately

no.

unfortunately

No, they are not stored or no, there is no place for the full distro ? or both ? I can live with one download but if i have to download packages every time i install i dont think i have the bandwith and the time...

no.

unfortunately

No, they are not stored or no, there is no place for the full distro ? or both ? I can live with one download but if i have to download packages every time i install i dont think i have the bandwith and the time...

no to both. if you want to install a gentoo system, as far as i know you have to download packages each time.

on the plus side, you will only have to download packages that you actually use...

as for the differences between redhat and gentoo, well i think redhat is easier for noobs because it comes with its own configuration & settings software etc. on the other hand, gentoo will be compiled by your computer for your computer, making it run faster. It also has an excellent portage system (in the style of bsd ports) which means NO MORE RPM-DEPENDANCY HELL!!

no.

unfortunately

The downloaded packages are stored on your computer in /usr/portage/distfiles. You will likely download new ones a lot though as they are updated often.

You can also get portage to make binary packages of anything you install so you dont have to recompile to reinstall. That's handy for multi-system installs with similar architectures.

no.

unfortunately

The downloaded packages are stored on your computer in /usr/portage/distfiles. You will likely download new ones a lot though as they are updated often.

You can also get portage to make binary packages of anything you install so you dont have to recompile to reinstall. That's handy for multi-system installs with similar architectures.

well well well. you learn something new everyday.

What is the install process of Gentoo Linux like? I've read through the x86 install docs on the gentoo site, but I was just wondering what it's like. I assume it's just a command line? Or is there any part of the install with a GUI?