[Re-Updated] NXE Update - Now Available

*shrugs* if you ask me, this is the problem with Digital content in general. Be it full games or map packs, 99% of it is overpriced, just most people don't seem to be able to see it unless they've got a direct comparison with retail.

^^^Or people don't care that much. I can tell you right now that as soon as I get a bigger HDD, I'll probably buy a few games off the the Games On Demand marketplace. Maybe I'm just lazy, I dunno, but it's more convenient, and it's not like $30 is a hell of a lot of money to begin with and as far as I'm concerned, some of those games are still worth $30.

-Spenser

*shrugs* if you ask me, this is the problem with Digital content in general. Be it full games or map packs, 99% of it is overpriced, just most people don't seem to be able to see it unless they've got a direct comparison with retail.

This, digital distribution is ****ing terrible with it's pricing. When I have 3 consoles and 2 handhelds to fund, ?5-10 matters.

The only time it excels for me is with indie/small developer games at ?3-7 a pop. Any content that's currently in retail = bend over and get shafted pricing digitally.

Well map packs/DLC as well, those are outrageously over priced.

I will cry the day I can't spot a great deal online and pre-order something like the new Batman game for ?23. I mean, TWENTY THREE POUNDS, you'll probably never see it at that price digitally even a year after launch, let alone before it's even out.

I completely agree. And the reason is obvious: If you want to buy say...one of the COD:WaW map packs, where can you get it from? Microsoft and....uhhh...well that's it! There's no competition with it, unless you could PSN but that's a different platform for a different version of the game. Unless, for some reason, you happen to own both versions, you're SOL for choice.

Digital content needs to be distributed by multiple channels for there to be some decent competition.

I completely agree. And the reason is obvious: If you want to buy say...one of the COD:WaW map packs, where can you get it from? Microsoft and....uhhh...well that's it! There's no competition with it, unless you could PSN but that's a different platform for a different version of the game. Unless, for some reason, you happen to own both versions, you're SOL for choice.

Digital content needs to be distributed by multiple channels for there to be some decent competition.

Well map packs just need to be priced fairer, it's really just as simple as that. More devs need to be like criterion and support FREE DLC that actually has tangible content and isn't "oh hey look free dlc patch containing.... bug fixes".

We just need more developers setting an example on PSN/Live and more could follow. It's a shame Valve blow off the PS3 as Sony already let Epic release the 800mb Titan Update for UT3 containing like 16 maps/3 game modes etc, for free, but it didn't really matter as UT3 is absolutely dead on consoles. I think Valves free content motto would go down well on PSN, it's just a shame Sonys PS3 development cycle/processes are so out of tune with other standard development methods (PC development).

Maybe if Sony do digital releases like MS we'd see some sort of competition, but as of right now they're only distributing their 1st party content... well they did do Burnout as well, it'll be interesting to see if MS do Burnout and what they charge compared to PSN. Probably just be the same... and yup, you've guessed it anyway, the Burnout Paradise Ultimate box is cheaper in retail than it is on PSN.

edit: This is going offtopic anyway, we'll see how the digital releases on NXE mature over the next few months, I think if they get weak sales pricing might be tweaked, that Mass Effect Australia price has to be, $100? WTF?

Edited by Audioboxer

UT3 was really just a flop altogether on every platform before titan came out, even on pc.

It's got a small following on 360, I played it quite a bit a few months back. Haven't played much on pc since titan came out, no idea about ps3.

I own it on PC and haven't been as disappointed with a PC game since I bought Deus Ex 2.

:(

Oh my god that was a deflating experience.

Here's hoping Dues Ex 3 delivers :yes: Is it coming to the 360/PS3?

Can't wait for Deus Ex 3. normally, after a bitterly disappointing sequel, I don't let myself get excited, but there's just something about it I can't quite keep down. I think it was just because Deux Ex (1) was one of the finest games I played, ever.

UT3 was really just a flop altogether on every platform before titan came out, even on pc.

It's got a small following on 360, I played it quite a bit a few months back. Haven't played much on pc since titan came out, no idea about ps3.

I had it for about a week and it really didn't do anything for me, and I'm normally a big UT fan. Ended up trading it in for something or other.

I just had to bring it back to the digital download discussion as I have a few more things to say.

While I understand that they have to keep people happy, Microsoft could make some effort, after all it’s a brand new service, you would think the games available at launch would be going for a great price. Nope.

In regard to the laziness argument, I’m guilty of the same crime. Instead of driving to another store or waiting 3 or 4 days for delivery, I will spend extra money to get things there and then. But when it comes to digital downloads, I refuse. Steam has good deals sometimes but let’s be honest, a lot of their games are too highly priced and MS is following suit.

If I could go to a store and buy say, Batman on the 360 in its nice case and sleeve and have it on my shelf for ?39.99 or download it to my 360 for ?39.99, it’s a no brainer. I will always buy a physical copy. MS and indeed other outlets need to start selling games online at a reduced rate. Not a couple of quid either.

Surely reduced prices might help in the long run. Take a look at Apples music store. It’s now the biggest music retailer in the world and it’s because its cheap. If I knew I could buy Batman for ?25 say off Xbox live I would in a heartbeat rather than pirate it. There is NO advantage I can see for this except speed. Takes up valuable hard disk space on my console for a start.

Now give us the ability to rent full games to our consoles and if we like them, pay and keep it. That’s more like it.

Would have loved to have seen what this was like today. However my 360 wanted to die on me today when I turned it on. I now have received the dreaded red ring of death!

Would have loved to have seen what this was like today. However my 360 wanted to die on me today when I turned it on. I now have received the dreaded red ring of death!

Isn't that you completely console-less now?

Damn man that's some BS luck :laugh: :(

Isn't that you completely console-less now?

Damn man that's some BS luck :laugh: :(

I have the Wii, I don't know if that counts? I want to play Mario Galaxy but can only play it when the g/f is round. Metroid Prime is keeping me busy as well.

I guess it is not going to cost me anything to have the 360 fixed. I am still annoyed about the PS3 :(

I have the Wii, I don't know if that counts? I want to play Mario Galaxy but can only play it when the g/f is round. Metroid Prime is keeping me busy as well.

I guess it is not going to cost me anything to have the 360 fixed. I am still annoyed about the PS3 :(

Nope, sorry :p

Got the update. Got to say it is really fluid when browsing through the marketplace. I really liked the achievement progress where it shows what games you completed (200/200, 1000/1000, etc) on first page then show the rest of your games.

I am in the preview program as well, just was not sure if he got it via live or downloaded it and updated with a USB. :)