Surround sound setup for gaming

Hi all. I want to get a surround sound kit for use with my PS3 and Xbox 360. It would be nice to hook Sky+ true it was well (not Sky HD) but that isn't a huge deal as only my daughter watches tv I just watch DVD/BluRay and game.

I don't want to spend loads of money on a system as I don't really see the point of spending thousands. I'm not an audiophile I just like surround sound, especially in games after playing Dead Space at a mates.

I have had a look around and I figure the only thing I need is a system with two HDMI pass through for the 360 and the PS3 yes? The Sky+ box has optical output so I can use that if I feel like it too although as I said I am not that fussed about Sky.

The problem is I can't seem to find any "packages" with 2 HDMI ports for 1080p pass through :( I have seen a few deals for Onkyo systems with speakers and cables, etc. but they are hitting ?500 which is more than I want to spend to be honest. ?250-300 is sort of the highest I would want to go.

I have a Panasonic TH-42PZ80B plasma tv so something with Viera Link would be nice.

Thanks in advance al:):)

Hi all. I want to get a surround sound kit for use with my PS3 and Xbox 360. It would be nice to hook Sky+ true it was well (not Sky HD) but that isn't a huge deal as only my daughter watches tv I just watch DVD/BluRay and game.

I don't want to spend loads of money on a system as I don't really see the point of spending thousands. I'm not an audiophile I just like surround sound, especially in games after playing Dead Space at a mates.

I have had a look around and I figure the only thing I need is a system with two HDMI pass through for the 360 and the PS3 yes? The Sky+ box has optical output so I can use that if I feel like it too although as I said I am not that fussed about Sky.

The problem is I can't seem to find any "packages" with 2 HDMI ports for 1080p pass through :( I have seen a few deals for Onkyo systems with speakers and cables, etc. but they are hitting ?500 which is more than I want to spend to be honest. ?250-300 is sort of the highest I would want to go.

I have a Panasonic TH-42PZ80B plasma tv so something with Viera Link would be nice.

Thanks in advance al:):)

What you want is at least 2 HDMI inputs (for 360 and PS3andb> an HDMI output that takes video to the TV. Sky doesn't do audio over HDMI, so you'll just be connecting it with an optical connection.

I paid about ?260 for the HT-SS1300 (also comes with tall speakers HT-SF1300) - http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hcs-cinema-s...d-kit/ht-ss1300

Both are discontinued now I think and replaced with HT-SS100 and HT-SF100. Probably around the ?300 mark.

What I would say is getting something with Viera link would be a good investment if you can, I have Bravia Sync and it's so good only needing one remote to control TV and sound system.

Try get a system like the above that do PCM over HDMI as well, it means you'll be able to listen to HD audio through any Blu Rays on the PS3. The PS3 can decode HD audio and pass it to a receiver that accepts PCM over HDMI. Receivers that decode HD audio themselves will set you back a fair bit.

Also be prepared for the NW audiophile crew to come in and recommend you spend more than you w:pt :p For gaming you gotta go with 5.1, it makes things that much better (you'll probably be recommended to spend ?300 on a 2.1 system, then buy other speakers later in the interest of a better system).

Thanks Audioboxer. Having a look around the SS100 seems like it will do everything I want which isn't actually much compared to what some people want from cheap systems!

I spoke with Sony and they confirmed it will do 1080p and 5.1 over HDMI so does all I want. Doesn't seem to have optical in so Sky+ isn't happening but I don't really care to be honest. Just a nice to have.

Gonna hold off ordering for a little while so I can read a bit more about it but looks like I will go ahead and order it from play.com today. ?330 is a little more than I wanted to pay but not awful.

Thanks Audioboxer. Having a look around the SS100 seems like it will do everything I want which isn't actually much compared to what some people want from cheap systems!

I spoke with Sony and they confirmed it will do 1080p and 5.1 over HDMI so does all I want. Doesn't seem to have optical in so Sky+ isn't happening but I don't really care to be honest. Just a nice to have.

Gonna hold off ordering for a little while so I can read a bit more about it but looks like I will go ahead and order it from play.com today. ?330 is a little more than I wanted to pay but not awful.

Nah it will have optical:))

edit:> ?300 here - http://www.stoneaudio.co.uk/browse.asp?product=4751

Yeah saw it has optical too which is awesome :)

I called stone audio but they don't have any in stock and it would be 4-6 weeks :(

ordered from jxl.co.uk as they said they had stock (on their website anyway) but its still 'processing' which doesn't look hopeful :(

Looks like nobody has it in stock!