'Diet Or Die' Grandad Sheds Massive 10 Stone

A grandfather who was told he had to diet or die by doctors has lost more than 10 stone in six months - by drinking water.

Idris Lewis, 69, was told in January that if he did not lose 11 stone by the end of July, he could not have an operation on his heart and could die within a year.

Mr Lewis, a retired civil servant from Nailsea, near Bristol, suffers from a chronic lung condition and a scan 18 months ago revealed he also has an abnormal heart valve.

His doctor gave him a stark choice, he either lost the weight so he could have an operation to widen the valve or he had a year to live.

Mr Lewis cannot eat anything - his strict diet consists of mineral water and a vitamin supplement powder only.

15343105.jpg

"I alternate between spring water and tap water to give me variation," he said.

"Then I have the powder at lunchtime and in the evening.

"The vitamin powder has given me all the energy I need, I drive the car, play bowls and go for walks."

But he insists he has not felt hungry and does not miss eating.

"Occasionally I'll see an advert for steaming roast chicken or a piece of steak and think that looks nice," he said, "But it's only desire, it's not need."

His wife Mary has not eaten in front of her husband for the past six months to avoid tempting him to break his fast.

Mr Lewis has been told he can have his operation in October when he can eat again - starting off slowly with steamed fish and chicken with vegetables.

"I am much healthier now, my breathing has improved and losing the weight has made me much more optimistic about life," he said.

"Friends who I have known for 25 years haven't recognised me, I weigh the same as I did when I got married in 1964.

"I will not put weight back on because I have a completely different lifestyle and attitude to food now, I now know that you eat what you need and no more."

source

Now thats something! We need more of those kind of doctors for everything! He seemed to be very realistic about it! Good he can have the operation now and everything will run out just fine :)

Problem is, losing weight that way is dangerous. He's forced his body into starvation mode so once he starts eating again, even if it's sensibly, weight WILL go back on.

I can't believe a doctor advised that diet...

I was wired shut for 2-3 months , only liquids. I lost a SHEDLOAD of weight. When I started eating again, I put some back on, slowly. I'd say I probably put about half back on.

Drastic action was needed to get him to a safe weight to perform surgery on, moreover he was prescribed the right supplements to keep him healthy.

Problem is, losing weight that way is dangerous. He's forced his body into starvation mode so once he starts eating again, even if it's sensibly, weight WILL go back on.

He's well alive and much more happy, I dont think was a "bad doctor".

Plus, he doesn't want to "eat" again... and if he does, he's aware of the weight he might gain again.

im pretty sure as long as you get the the stuff you need you are fine

food its self dosent do crap its the sugars and all that kind of stuff

^ An old unit of measuring weight, used mainly in the UK.

If you read the title and subtitle, you could have worked it out -- 1 stone is equal to 14 pounds. ;)