"Hey SCO, sue me"

Daem0hn

who is SCO and what did they do? is SCO the people who want to control the internet by doing that TCPA thing???

Batfink
who is SCO and what did they do? is SCO the people who want to control the internet by doing that TCPA thing???

No, the SCO claim that Linux may be illegal and may be seeking compensation from Linux distros... or personal users for violating their Intellectual Property :no:

Seems like they are trying to :uberhump: us all!!

Daem0hn

lol, luv the usage of :uberhump: :laugh:

dude, thats not cool, linux cant be illegal, hey, if linux is illegal, so must windows, they SPY on people, there is a folder in most windows versions, c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5

THAT is spying, it stores every website, pictuire, video, all that stuff, in one folder that is ignored in searches, does not exist unless you know it is there, does not show up in explorer, that is spyware if you ask me, they should be suing microsoft first grrrrr

+primortal
lol, luv the usage of :uberhump: :laugh:

dude, thats not cool, linux cant be illegal, hey, if linux is illegal, so must windows, they SPY on people, there is a folder in most windows versions, c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5

THAT is spying, it stores every website, pictuire, video, all that stuff, in one folder that is ignored in searches, does not exist unless you know it is there, does not show up in explorer, that is spyware if you ask me, they should be suing microsoft first grrrrr

Granted its hidden. It where IE stores the 'temporary internet files', so it isn't really spyware. You told IE to store those files. You can change the setting to 0 so it won't store that information. Also you can view the folder right from IE (go to the Tools|Internet Options menu, general table and click on Settings. From there click on View Files, and there is all the information that was cached when you visited a site).

Daem0hn

then how come when im not using IE just watching movies and stuff, it stores those aswell, if microsoft wanted they could break in and look at everything that id viewed, well, now they cant becuase ive made the best decision of my life so far (switching to linux) but they could, anyway, this i s off topic, soz

KaosBC
then how come when im not using IE just watching movies and stuff, it stores those aswell, if microsoft wanted they could break in and look at everything that id viewed, well, now they cant becuase ive made the best decision of my life so far (switching to linux) but they could, anyway, this i s off topic, soz

Tinfoil hats AHOY!!

please tell us how they would "break in" or more importantly, why they would want to?

Jessterw

Not even going to comment on your whole Microsoft rant, however I will try to explain the whole SCO bit to you. SCO is a major maintainer of the Unix operating system, of which many companies license out various Unix technologies for use. IBM was one such company that used these technologies in its AIX (correct me if I'm wrong on this part) product. The "problem" that has arisen is that SCO claims IBM, and possibly others, illegally used some of the Unix technologies in their Linux products without seeking permission from and/or licensing the technologies from SCO.

This situation is potentially damaging to not only the Linux community but others as well, including Microsoft, hence their recent licensing of various Unix technologies from SCO.

Oddly enough SCO is part of the UnitedLinux group, though it has unofficially (or it could be officially now) stopped all of its Linux development efforts or something to that effect.

dmd3x

Linux will survive. SCO is just desperate because Linux can outperform it, along with other things.

Rathamon

thought SCO actually made linux stuff...

insurgent
is SCO the people who want to control the internet by doing that TCPA thing???

I thought that was Microsoft?

Jessterw
Linux will survive. SCO is just desperate because Linux can outperform it, along with other things.

Don't talk about things you don't know. SCO is a company that produces both Unix and Linux distributions. Whether or not Linux outperforms Unix or vice versa is dependent on a large number of items, not the least of which is the distro, not to mention the actual type of Unix being used.

This has little to do with Linux itself, but probably more to do with SCO trying to stay alive as a company, though don't quote me on that as I have no idea how they are doing financially. Their actions are just indicative of a company that isn't doing well.

@Rathamon, SCO does distribute their own Linux distro as well as they're being a member of UnitedLinux. However, I believe, they have stopped, or something to that effect, all their Linux activities pending the outcome of this legal situation.

etron

actually, Microsoft did not pay license fees to SCO because of this situation, MS has been providing unix compatibility with certain MS components for years now, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is part of the reason. From the many press releases I have seen so far, MS planned on paying the license fees before this even started (unless they were warned way before) due to some other unix related projects they were working on.

Linuxtag now sued SCO, forcing SCO to backup their claim and reveal the relevant code, or be punished for unfair competitive practices. More info can be found at:

http://www.linuxtag.org/2003/en/press/rele...leases.xsp?id=3

mr_daemon

uhm... etron? I know this is off-topic but do you know that the word "etron" in french means Turd?

Glowstick

It's called Cache, you frickin' idiot! Almost every webbrowser does this.

Jagwac

Oh my god.

I dont think I have ever seen so many freaking retarded comments in my life.

is SCO the people who want to control the internet by doing that TCPA thing???
if linux is illegal, so must windows, they SPY on people, there is a folder in most windows versions, c:\windows\temporary internet files\content.ie5
now they cant becuase ive made the best decision of my life so far (switching to linux)
ya..I really want to see you attempt that.
SCO is just desperate because Linux can outperform it

You people that posted those comments...turn off your computer and please shoot yourself for being so moronic. btw...the computer is not that big thing on your desk that shows you the pretty pictures.