(Linksys wireless router) connection issue

Question

ozzy76

Do not be discouraged by the length of the message, I just wanted to be thorough.

My GF and I recently purchased this wireless router (Linksys BEFW11S4) from Wal-Mart (no joke) and now experiencing a connection issue.

We have 2 PCs on the network. We will call them Wired PC and Wireless PC. We also purchased a wireless Linksys PCI card for the Wireless PC (don't remember model #). The Wired PC is running Win Me and Wireless PC is running Win XP Home. Everything installed great without a hitch. I setup a new name for the wireless router instead of the default 'linksys' when you type in 192.168.1.1 for the router setup.

We ran Windows Update, downloaded all the Critical Updates, SP1, etc. on the Wireless PC. Everything was working great until I lastly installed some update from Windows Update. If my memory serves me correctly, it was for a wireless connection. No problem, I thought, so I reboot the Wireless PC and now I cannot connect to the wireless network. The window reported a warning about wanting WEP since our transferred data can be accessed. I put a checkmark into some message box that allows me to click on Connect, all to no avail. I can see my GF's face getting redder and redder since the Wireless PC is her PC. I go to the Wired PC and try to connect to 192.168.1.1 to see if I can possibly reset some items. I cannot connect to the router at all yet the Wired PC can connect to the Internet without a problem. I unplug both the power cords to the wireless router and cable modem for 10-20 seconds and then reconnect them. I get all the normal lights yet I cannot connect to 192.168.1.1.

Another thing I noticed was on the Wireless PC, was that it now found "linksys" wireless network instead of the custom network we specified. This would stand to reason since we reset the wireless router, yet I cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 from the Wired PC.

My GF and I live in separate apartments so I cannot troubleshoot it now since she is at work.

I am fairly experienced in computers but networking is not my strength. Do I have a defective router?

p.s. I have reseated all the Ethernet cables several times. I really doubt it's the Wireless PC causing the issue since I am unable to connect to 192.168.1.1 on the Wired PC.

I feel bad because I advised my GF to buy this hardware since her PC has not been able to connect to the Internet for 6+ months. (ever since she & her roommate (who happens to own the Wired PC) moved into their new apt.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

4 answers to this question

Steven
Do not be discouraged by the length of the message, I just wanted to be thorough.

My GF and I recently purchased this wireless router (Linksys BEFW11S4) from Wal-Mart (no joke) and now experiencing a connection issue.

We have 2 PCs on the network. We will call them Wired PC and Wireless PC. We also purchased a wireless Linksys PCI card for the Wireless PC (don't remember model #). The Wired PC is running Win Me and Wireless PC is running Win XP Home. Everything installed great without a hitch. I setup a new name for the wireless router instead of the default 'linksys' when you type in 192.168.1.1 for the router setup.

We ran Windows Update, downloaded all the Critical Updates, SP1, etc. on the Wireless PC. Everything was working great until I lastly installed some update from Windows Update. If my memory serves me correctly, it was for a wireless connection. No problem, I thought, so I reboot the Wireless PC and now I cannot connect to the wireless network. The window reported a warning about wanting WEP since our transferred data can be accessed. I put a checkmark into some message box that allows me to click on Connect, all to no avail. I can see my GF's face getting redder and redder since the Wireless PC is her PC. I go to the Wired PC and try to connect to 192.168.1.1 to see if I can possibly reset some items. I cannot connect to the router at all yet the Wired PC can connect to the Internet without a problem. I unplug both the power cords to the wireless router and cable modem for 10-20 seconds and then reconnect them. I get all the normal lights yet I cannot connect to 192.168.1.1.

Another thing I noticed was on the Wireless PC, was that it now found "linksys" wireless network instead of the custom network we specified. This would stand to reason since we reset the wireless router, yet I cannot connect to 192.168.1.1 from the Wired PC.

My GF and I live in separate apartments so I cannot troubleshoot it now since she is at work.

I am fairly experienced in computers but networking is not my strength. Do I have a defective router?

p.s. I have reseated all the Ethernet cables several times. I really doubt it's the Wireless PC causing the issue since I am unable to connect to 192.168.1.1 on the Wired PC.

I feel bad because I advised my GF to buy this hardware since her PC has not been able to connect to the Internet for 6+ months. (ever since she & her roommate (who happens to own the Wired PC) moved into their new apt.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Your problem is Windows XP and the configuration for WEP. This is the reason you cannot view the router configuration pages (192.168.1.1). When you have an invalid security

configuation, you are denied access to the source, in this case the Router.

When you installed the update for WPA or Wireless Protect Access, it makes a minor change to the Operating System that hands the encryption schema.

Return your SSID to Linksys and then set the configuration as shown into this picture.

I have the WPA Installed, And i have Linksys firmware 1.45 (Something you should update too) and I have connectivity.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to connect if you copy exactly as I have in my configuration.

ozzy76

But does that explain why I am unable to connect the Wired PC to the router? I wouldn't think that downloading updates from Windows Update should have any effect on a router not physically attached to the system, but please excuse my ignorance.

I realize we need to address the security matter soon enough and a firmware update is needed, but how can we address those issues when it was working perfectly prior to the OS updates?

Maybe I am confused but all was working well and I was able to connect to that server (192.168.1.1) without a hitch and for no apparent reason, we lost that ability.

Thanks for any info. you may provide.

cjbeckwith

Is your wired pc hitting the internet through the router? If so is the wired pc using dhcp? You can look at the ip that it is pulling and find out what the gateway ip is. On dlink equipment the default IP for the access point is 192.168.0.1. Could it be that you THINK that the IP is 1.1 but when you reset the router it returned to another value? Also, try using netstat -r from the command line to see what your routing settings are.

mallow

LinkSys uses 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway, and DNS server for DHCP.