After all this, I still don't know how to setup my SPDIF

I know I have made several topics about this in the past, but thinking about it tonight I'm not really sure what I've all done with my SPDIF in the past. I know it is a digital signal and that I have it hooked up right; 2 pin cord going from my GTX 280 to my X-Fi XtremeGamer and Vista says it is working properly. That is where my understanding ends.

When exactly do I use SPDIF or what advantages does it have?

I woul think you connect your hdmi adaptor, connect a cable to it and link it to your equipment, configure vista to use spdif as the default sound output and you then get your sound and video out of one cable :p

Well from my tower, I have a DVI to HDMI connector going to my TV. If I click Sound under Control Panel and then Test (while using the TV as a monitor) I hear a sound. If I play music or watch a movie, the SPDIF sound indicator doesn't move, but the normal speakers show use (even if my computer's speakers are off and the sound goes through the tv). So SPDIF is working, but how do I utilize it?

Maybe I wasn't clear with my last post. I have a DVI to HDMI converter off the video card, and from there I have a HDMI to HDMI cable running to the TV.