Microsoft Office for Mac beta

Hey!

Just got invited for this beta by Microsoft. So i figured we can start discussing about this :)

ss.tiff

Edit - Added Screenshot.

Edited by StandingInAlley

Office for Mac 2010? :woot:

It would most likely be Office for Mac 2011, as Mac office releases are generally one year behind Windows versions.

I wonder if Office 2011 will match the new interface that's being shown off in Office 2010.

How would that work with the Mac OS X menu bar and Aqua? That's basically the reason why 2008 didn't get a Ribbon according to the developers. A Ribbon isn't how Mac OS X works.

How would that work with the Mac OS X menu bar and Aqua? That's basically the reason why 2008 didn't get a Ribbon according to the developers. A Ribbon isn't how Mac OS X works.

And it isn't how Windows works either.

The Ribbon interface would be better no matter what in OS X for multiple reasons :

1. Windows users wouldn't be lost

2. These controls on the side... urghh...

3. The MS team wouldn't lose its time on making a whole new interface just for us OS X users

And so on.

They added some kind of ribbon interface in 2008 and I'm not in love at all. It makes the interface really cluttered, because we have the menus, the usual toolbar, the ribbon, plus that huge inspector, plus a few dialog boxes here and there. Did someone drive them mad or something when they created the interface?

Just use the current "OS X ribbon" graphics in Office 2008, and place the options that are in Windows exactly the same way in OS X and make it 100% Cocoa and optimized and you'll have a winning product.

I added it to my dashboard on Microsoft connect, was in the directories bit. But that doesn't mean I'm accepted, looks the same as the screenie from the first post having clicked the link from there.

Added this to my dashboard too :) Hope I get in to this, would be nice to see a new office for Mac.

Has there actually been a build released and are there any screenshots?

And it isn't how Windows works either.

Actually it is now. Multiple applications in Windows 7 have adopted the Ribbon interface.

The Ribbon interface would be better no matter what in OS X for multiple reasons :

1. Windows users wouldn't be lost

2. These controls on the side... urghh...

3. The MS team wouldn't lose its time on making a whole new interface just for us OS X users

And so on.

1. Yet Mac OS X users would. You simply can't give up on the Menu Bar and other interface elements without creating a huge distortion between the functionality of Microsoft Office and the rest of the OS and its applications. On Windows Microsoft can actually apply the Ribbon system-wide if they wanted to (and what's gradually happening), this will never be the case on Mac OS X. Next to that Mac OS X is more about consistency than Windows currently is and its users seem to actually care about that.

Using your logic Apple might as well licence the entire Aero interface and slap it onto Mac OS X just for the sake Windows users won't be lost.

2. Again it's something normal to Mac OS X applications. Pages, Keynote and Notes use the same thing. IMO it works just fine.

3. They don't have to create a whole new interface, they can follow Apple's guidelines for the Aqua user experience. Pages works perfectly and it doesn't have a Ribbon bar.

Using your logic Apple might as well licence the entire Aero interface and slap it onto Mac OS X just for the sake Windows users won't be lost.

It is not what I said. I don't like Aero ; I like the Ribbon interface. In all honesty, one of the things I hate about OS X is these little inspectors. The one in Numbers, the one in Pages, the one in Keynote, the one in Word the one in Powerpoint, Excel, Transmission, Interface Builder...

The icons on the tabs are way too small. I know they made it as obvious as possible for icons to look like a "cell", a "rule", etc But it's not enough. I'd love if a little text label was there at least. Also, I don't like too many floating windows around, especially when they're so necessary that you cannot make them go. I like one-window interfaces like the new Photoshop, Dreamweaver, etc. Or at least something that docks really nicely.

If I have ONE thing to congratulate Microsoft for, it's the Ribbon interface. Just because of that, I've been able to produce beautiful, complete documents with much more ease on the Windows version of Office.