Windows 7 Loader has been released

Tried it on my laptop for the hell of it, it don't work for me.

Good job Microsoft :) Gunna buy it!

Getting rid of activation would be a serious mistake on Microsoft's part, and there's no way they'll do it.

MS know they can't stop the smart pirates. It doesn't matter how secure their activation method is, what can be made by man can be cracked by man, simple as that. But activation isn't really intended to stop the professionals, as that's not possible. Activation is designed to stop the "schoolyard pirates", the casual copiers, the people who can maybe copy a DVD, but wouldn't know how to go about cracking the copy protection. These are by far the larger proportion of pirates and it's THESE people that Microsoft try to stop.

It's not like they can't get rid of it, they choose not to get rid of it. Product activation was not introduced into Windows until XP.

Worked just fine on 2 PC here.... Torrent users will have a blast with this, too bad for MS.

But I'll get my real key from MSDN and now, the nice gift to beta testers, so a second key!

some people have made the point that a bios mod, while risky, is at least not a piece of software... these loaders might come with low-level malware, being based on Grub, which is an open source project...

even tho bios mods mean that you cant do bios updates without breaking your windows 7 activation, arent there already tools out there which let you edit the bios?

Your right that they havent shipped, however, it was one of the companies who recieved the key, who broke their contract with MS by releasing it to the web, so if they asked all the companies to start imaging their machines again with a new key, not only would it be a pain in the backside for those companies, what would stop the rogue company\employee releaseing the new one again?

They didn't break their contracts with anyone, an unscrupulous employee probably stole the ISO image, and leaked it.

Depends which one you used? There are two:

One which injected RC code in to the RTM version, which would then activate it until march and there is another that activates perminently with the OEM key, however, that will be blacklisted soon...

some people have made the point that a bios mod, while risky, is at least not a piece of software... these loaders might come with low-level malware, being based on Grub, which is an open source project...

even tho bios mods mean that you cant do bios updates without breaking your windows 7 activation, arent there already tools out there which let you edit the bios?

Yes, the bios mod isn't really all that hard or risky at all... People just immediately go into "alert mode" when bios flashing is mentioned, of any kind even. I just flashed my 9800GTX+ with a GTS 250 bios recently :p (seeing as they're the same card and it will allow me to SLI a real GTS 250 with it in the future).

Yes, the bios mod isn't really all that hard or risky at all... People just immediately go into "alert mode" when bios flashing is mentioned, of any kind even. I just flashed my 9800GTX+ with a GTS 250 bios recently :p (seeing as they're the same card and it will allow me to SLI a real GTS 250 with it in the future).

Now that you mention it, I just realized I could do the same thing with my 8800 GT. :p

The 8800 GT and 9800 GT cards are almost identical, yes, but in recent driver updates only the >9-series cards have a power saving option available.

Now that you mention it, I just realized I could do the same thing with my 8800 GT. :p

The 8800 GT and 9800 GT cards are almost identical, yes, but in recent driver updates only the >9-series cards have a power saving option available.

Hmm... I have an 8600GT. I wonder if the 9600GT is the same story? :)

Hmm... I have an 8600GT. I wonder if the 9600GT is the same story? :)

Unfortunately no. :/ The 9800 GT's an odd case where Nvidia just opted for a simple rebrand of the 8800 GT. The 9600 GT is superior spec-wise to the 8600 GT.