How-to create a Windows 7 ISO?

Well I did the edits that I need to to my Windows 7 Sources folder but how to I make it an ISO again? The only guides I can find require UltraISO or MagicISO. Is there any other way?

It only allows up to 300MB ISO creation.

you can check out this freeware....but the chances are it won't be 'bootable' image. You'll need a program that can either edit inside an ISO (keeping the boot.bin) or a program that can create a bootable ISO. (PowerISO 4.5 but it isn't free) but then some things can be....lol

Free ISO Creator can create ISO image from folders or data CD/DVD. With Free ISO Creator, you can easily create ISO image from any files and folders (with the subfolders), or backup data CD/DVD to your hard disk and directly create ISO files.

Free ISO Creator can create ISO image from folders or data CD/DVD. With Free ISO Creator, you can easily create ISO image from any files and folders (with the subfolders), or backup data CD/DVD to your hard disk and directly create ISO files. Free ISO Creator is one of the best solution to create ISO file and it's completely FREE.

Features of Free ISO Creator:

1) Create ISO image from files, folders (with the subfolders), or data CD/DVD.

2) Create UDF/ISO image.

3) Create ISO file at a super high speed.

4) Easy to use, only 3 steps to create iso image.

5)Completely FREE!

Free ISO Creator: create iso image file from your files and folders.

http://www.easyfreeware.com/files/free_iso_creator.zip/9845

Correct me if I'm wrong, but imgburn will let you create isos from folders/files only. It will not let you open a .iso to make modifications to it and then save back to .iso while still being bootable.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but imgburn will let you create isos from folders/files only. It will not let you open a .iso to make modifications to it and then save back to .iso while still being bootable.

You're correct. I don't believe you can edit or create bootable ISOs with imgburn.

You can use UltraISO's trial as it doesn't limit anything. Download that and install it, then when you're done get rid of it.

Surprised Microsoft doesnt make a way.
I'm not surprised, but I still think it's ridiculous. MS should've had virtual drives and ISO creation built into Windows Vista. We still don't have either feature in 7.

You can use UltraISO's trial as it doesn't limit anything. Download that and install it, then when you're done get rid of it.

As others have already said it has a 300MB limit. You can avoid UltraISO completely if you want to. Extract the ISO to a folder, remove the file, then use IMGburn to make a new ISO :)

If you download this Microsoft utility, you can make one from the command line like this:

cdimage -lWIN7 -urREADME.TXT -u2 -h -m -b"Microsoft Corporation.img" C:\EXTRACTED_ISO C:\my7.iso

WIN7 in -lWIN7 will be the name of the DVD, C:\EXTRACTED_ISO is the folder where you extracted the original ISO and that contains the files you want to put in your new ISO. C:\my7.iso is where you want to save the new ISO. You'll need some patience though, as it takes a while to create the image.

Extract the ISO to a folder, remove the file, then use IMGburn to make a new ISO :)

do that and you'll end up with an iso that won't boot. :p

you need to create a bootable iso using the boot sector from the original iso. ;)

do that and you'll end up with an iso that won't boot. :p

you need to create a bootable iso using the boot sector from the original iso. ;)

Woops you're right, I forgot about that :blush: There is a handy tutorial to do just that on IMGburn's forums though :)

I know a simpler way. Copy all the files to a USB pen drive and get the BIOS to boot from it.

That's the easiest way. As already said, MagicISO and PowerISO have a 300MB limit in the unregistered versions, so you can't modify the ISO for free.

As others have already said it has a 300MB limit. You can avoid UltraISO completely if you want to. Extract the ISO to a folder, remove the file, then use IMGburn to make a new ISO :)

Does it...? I'm on a trial (I know I haven't paid) and I've burned 2 Win7 discs.

Also, if you remove the ei.cfg file, you may encounter an error. At least I have done for evey build since 7077. For 7600, I edited that file to suit the edition I wanted (from Ultimate to Home Premium) and I installed it fine yesterday.

That's the easiest way. As already said, MagicISO and PowerISO have a 300MB limit in the unregistered versions, so it's not really possible deleting the appropriate files from the ISO, for free.

Well, my example, although a bit complex (although you can put it in a bat file and just double-click), creates bootable ISOs just fine (the -b flag sets the boot file).

Does it...? I'm on a trial (I know I haven't paid) and I've burned 2 Win7 discs.

Also, if you remove the ei.cfg file, you may encounter an error. At least I have done for evey build since 7077. For 7600, I edited that file to suit the edition I wanted (from Ultimate to Home Premium) and I installed it fine yesterday.

Maybe I clicked the wrong option as I tried to delete the file then save. Maybe I tried to save a new ISO or something and that's when the limit kicked in. I'm not entirely sure. The method I mentioned above works however.