'UFO' photographed 'tracking' RAF Hercules

Hum

An amateur photographer believes he captured a UFO tracking an RAF Hercules as it approached RAF Lyneham in Wiltshire.

John Powell, 56, claims an unusual silver orb was following the military craft as it came in to land at the base.

ufo_1455432c.jpg

The retired school teacher was gardening at his home in nearby Westbury when he noticed the sun glinting off the circular surface.

"I don't believe in things from outer space but that thing was definitely tracking the plane," he said.

"My neighbour was in the garden at the time and I wanted to shout to them, but I didn't want to say 'there's a flying saucer in the sky' so I didn't say anything in the end."

Mr Powell, who taught computer sciences in Belfast for 30 years, added: "I thought at the time this is too good to miss but I didn't think the picture would come out as good as this.

"If I were to say it was a shot in a million I don't think I'd be exaggerating. I'm desperately curious to find out what it is.

"Since I've taken the photo I've been on some UFO websites and there's nothing remotely like this with an RAF plane being tracked."

The incident happened as John was gardening at 3.45pm on July 22.

RAF Lyneham is the military base where the bodies of fallen British soldiers are flown back into the UK on Hercules planes but there were no repatriations that day.

Ministry of Defence bosses said they would not be investigating because they so not consider it a "potential threat".

A spokesman said: "The MoD examines reports solely to establish whether UK airspace may have been compromised by hostile or unauthorised military activity.

"Unless there is evidence of a potential threat, there is no attempt to identify the nature of each sighting reported."

source

exotoxic

I have actually seen a shiny silver orb in the sky... i thought it was a balloon but the next time i looked (few seconds later) it was gone... no idea what it was but i dont think it was from space... it didnt look anything like the one in the picture though :p

bob21

how the **** can you see a disk in that picture its a blob , take your camera and do a few shots when your drunk guarantee you'll come up with a ghost an orb and a ufo with quality like thast n.

Growled

It could be anything.

Hum

^ ... Including an Alien spacecraft. ;)

bob21

No its a blob , the photo is rubbish.

Edited by bob21
master2k27

smuge on the lens.

how come all shots of aliens are rubbish with days with HD camera :p

mokthraka
smuge on the lens.

how come all shots of aliens are rubbish with days with HD camera :p

yeah I know really. why is that my $100 camera can take 1000x better pictures then that?

hell my $30 camera I had in third grade took better pictures then that

• 2 weeks later...
Dc'1

With that picture quality it could be a bird.

HawkMan
^ ... Including an Alien spacecraft. ;)

except when shooting planes in the sky you pretty much ave to use infinite focus. meaning if the object was behind the plane it wouldn't be that blurry.

so it can be anything, as long as it's really tiny and quite close to the camera relatively speaking.

so well maybe, if it's the alien from MIB

Tech Star

It could have a drone following it.

Shibby

Its most likey another aircraft. It could be a simple airliner, small craft or even a jet fighter!

Plus isn't he sort of foucsing in on the wrong thing?

Andrew Lyle
With that picture quality it could be a bird.

That big? Check the size of the plane, compared to the distance of the object.

Damo R.

I do love these posts :D

HawkMan
That big? Check the size of the plane, compared to the distance of the object.

It's not behind the Herc.

FloatingFatMan

It's a weather balloon!

Comic Book Guy

A lot of you commenting on how the photo is crap are forgetting that he saw it first with his eyes before getting his camera to take a picture.

FloatingFatMan
A lot of you commenting on how the photo is crap are forgetting that he saw it first with his eyes before getting his camera to take a picture.

Well duh! How ELSE is he going to see it, Mr Cleverclogs?

Rob2687

It's a holo-emitter creating a false image of the Hercules. A phase variance in the cloaking field caused part of the real ship to become visible.

Andrew Lyle
It's not behind the Herc.

Never said it was behind, it looks like it is above the plane

HawkMan
Never said it was behind, it looks like it is above the plane

What I mean is that it's not above, behind and anywhere in distance further away from the camera than the herc. it's in fact significantly closer to the camera than the herc.

the fact it looks like it's behind/above the herc is just a trick your brain pulls on you.

If the object was behind the herc, it wouldn't be out of focus. and if it was, it would be REALLY effing huge, and way above clouds and everything :p

it's a small, possibly tiny object, relatively close to the camera.

Angelic Marge
Well duh! How ELSE is he going to see it, Mr Cleverclogs?

haha :laugh:

• 1 month later...
Om nom nom nom

It seems just like another plane, probably not the one in the picture, but another, smaller one perhaps? It's likely that it's NOT, a bird, due to the size of the plane in the picture, and the 'object' in the background. Theres also a chance the picture was edited, and the picture is not good quality either.

But it's also possible that it is a UFO, what are the odds, that life exists on other planets! It's also a possibility that, if there were aliens on Mars, they might not need some of the essential things, humans need. ^^ jus' sayin!