• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

power windows, power mirors, power...

revvo    21

Am I the only one who doesn't care about these features like power windows, power folding mirrors, power ass vibrating self adjusting chairs, etc.?

sc302    1,791

if you have a 4 door and don't want the wind in your face you can open up the back windows and have a nice breeze, hard to do with roll up windows. have you ever tried to throw something at the guy next to you at the traffic light only to hit your closed window? power windows would solve this issue, just hit the button and throw at will.

the only thing nice about power seats are power seats with memory, if someone else gets in your car and adjusts your seat at a push of a button it will return to your set location, recline position, as well as height. It is a nice feature.

Heated seats are nice on cold winter days to warm your ass, also good for sore backs on long rides.

Heated steering wheel is nice instead of dealing with a frozen steering wheel that you can barely touch unless you warm your car up for 15min prior to getting in and going.

Auto start is nice when it is 0 degrees out and you want a warm car to enter in without going out and starting it in your jammies.

Air conditioned seats are nice for when coming back from the gym, it really airs out your balls. If you ever sat in front of a fan you will have a similar experiance.

Power mirrors are nice so that you can get the pass side mirror set right without moving out of your seat, adjusting, going back to your seat and repeating until you get it right.

Keyless entry is nice for when you are at your car and you don't have to fumble or scratch the paint when inserting the key in your car.

Proximity entry is nice so you dont have to take out your keys at all (carying crap to the car and have hands full).

Proximity start is nice so you don't have to take out your keys at all (no need to fumble for your keys).

All of these are nice features. Do you need them, no. But that is why you pay extra for said features in most cases. Some cars come with these features standard (like power windows and locks).

jonhapimp    0

i Like POWERRRR

633685134096874970-powerifyouwonteatapuppyyoureprobablyafigurehead.jpg

it's a huge convenience when your driving and don't have to think about how your going to get the mirror down on the passenger side, or you don't have to lock each lock individually, would i buy car without them, no, but they aren't necessary

MR_Candyman    114

I will never buy another vehicle without power windows,locks, mirrors, a/c and cruise control.

Your question is pretty much the equivalent of asking "Why do people like automatic transmissions?"

Descartes    130

P-P-P-Powerbook!

Orien    1

You're not the only one... but quite possibly in the minority. Why wouldn't you want power windows?

revvo    21
Your question is pretty much the equivalent of asking "Why do people like automatic transmissions?"

Not really.

The concept of buying a stripped car sounds great, but now they all come with these luxuries that don't really help u. Is it that hard to fold mirrors or lower and raise your windows?

chconline    163

Yep. Power windows and power locks are essential in my opinion, since they are extremely convenient for controlling all the windows and locks by the driver. That's also to say that it's much easier to operate the windows while driving, I mean good luck opening the passenger side windows with an old fashion crank :no: and power mirrors... not a must, but it's more precise considering that you can just sit in your driver's seat and from that position get the best mirror adjustment, whereas if it's manual you'll need to get someone to adjust it for you or get out of your seat, adjust, see if it's right, then repeat this process 15 times.

Manual > Auto for me though (In my definition... anything that doesn't have a third pedal, and that includes torque converters, CVTs, automated manual/dual clutch, etc.)

shockz    7,352
have you ever tried to throw something at the guy next to you at the traffic light only to hit your closed window? power windows would solve this issue, just hit the button and throw at will.

Can't say I have. lol

Not really.

The concept of buying a stripped car sounds great, but now they all come with these luxuries that don't really help u. Is it that hard to fold mirrors or lower and raise your windows?

Its nice.

I used to have crank windows. It sucked having to row them all up and down. Now I just hit the down/up all button and all 4 of them are up or down in seconds.

Same thing with power mirrors, letting your brother borrow the car, and forgetting the next day that he messed them all up, and it happens to be raining or 10 below,instead of rolling the window down and getting wet or frozen, all you have to do is push a button inside to rotate them.

You can say the same thing about the internet, do we really need flash, ajax, etc...

Its called progress.

revvo    21

I won't lie, my Civic Si is fully equipped, and I do like to have power windows and mirrors, but I know I could live without these options and still enjoy driving. Except maybe the AC.... my god it can get really humid on some days :wacko:

One thing is sure, the second I get my hands on a project car, it will be stripped down to the bare essentials.

sc302    1,791

you can still have a 9 or 10s car with all the options. it's not that hard provided you start with a good base that doesn't need to be gutted to get there. 03/04 cobra, c5 vette, ws6, supra, etc.

allaemx    1

i have friends who regret not getting these features. it may sound unnecessary now but down the road you'll prob wish you had those.

MR_Candyman    114
i have friends who regret not getting these features. it may sound unnecessary now but down the road you'll prob wish you had those.

Not only that, but try selling the car afterwards. You'll have to drop the price far lower than the difference the options were new and it will still be harder to sell.

revvo    21

^ Except cars purposely made lightweight for the purpose of driving, and not for transportation. Those can be stripped and most car enthusiasts wouldn't be bothered if there's no power steering. I guess I should have made it more clear that I don't care about those options in those type of lighweight cars (Lotus Elise, E30's, CSL, etc..) rather than daily drivers.

d4diesel    6

try not having power mirror when the car is driven by two different drivers ona regular basis. having to constantly adjust the passenger side mirror itself will make you regret not having power mirror.

as for power windows, its once again a convenience to be able to roll up or down windows other than the driver's side which again is a big plus.

i have power seat in one of our car and that's one thing that i don't really care for much.

also, once you get used to such feature of convenience, you wouldn't want to go back or atleast its very hard to go back. i drove a friend's car which had rearview camera for parking. once i tried it out, i instantly became a fan of it. i will take it if that option is available when i am purchasing my next car.

Also, other great feature that one should consider is bluetooth, mp3 supported stereo (although this is becoming standard now).

qdave    159

The only problem i have with power windows etc. is that if you turn off your car, you cant shut them down or open them. Other than that they are superior to rolling ones.

As for power seats...its bloody fun :D

Lokutar    0
The only problem i have with power windows etc. is that if you turn off your car, you cant shut them down or open them. Other than that they are superior to rolling ones.

As for power seats...its bloody fun :D

Then you need a vehicle who's auxiliary power stays on until a door is opened. :p

rathefeare    8

I am a car purist and like my vehicles stripped down, uncomplicated and light. I also appreciate the older vehicles and think the more "options" a car has starts to detract from the experience of owning a piece of mechanical equiptment. A car in my opinion is supposed to be more about mechanics than about electronics.

That said in a convertible heated seats are darn nice to stretch the top down driving options. The only other option that I really miss when I am driving my older cars is the greater selection of windshield wiper speeds on modern cars. I miss that more than AC even.

pyehac    0

The only thing I want my car to have is power windows (with auto up and down) and power mirrors. If I want a roller coaster ride, I'll use our vans' power seats to get a short ride.

What surprised me was that a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan base model didn't have power mirrors - and they wonder why Dodge and Co. is in a bind.

MR_Candyman    114
The only thing I want my car to have is power windows (with auto up and down) and power mirrors. If I want a roller coaster ride, I'll use our vans' power seats to get a short ride.

What surprised me was that a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan base model didn't have power mirrors - and they wonder why Dodge and Co. is in a bind.

And if you actually were selling chrysler vehicles you would realize just how many people want a barebones vehicle. Farmers especially are cheap and if the vehicle came standard with them, they would bitch and moan how they're getting ripped off by adding all these fancy electrical doodads.

Yes, I used to sell them.

revvo    21
I am a car purist and like my vehicles stripped down, uncomplicated and light. I also appreciate the older vehicles and think the more "options" a car has starts to detract from the experience of owning a piece of mechanical equiptment.

Well said. I knew I wasn't the only one on Neowin to think like this :ninja:

rathefeare    8
I will never buy another vehicle without power windows,locks, mirrors, a/c and cruise control.

Why do they like automatic transmission? I still don't know the answer to that question other then if they have a physical disability. I just can't wrap my head around wanting to have less involvement with driving your car.

sc302    1,791

As far as auto trans goes, it depends on the application. Constant bumper to bumper city driving is much nicer with an auto. Drag racing is much more precise with an auto (technically semi auto). The technology is there where you don't need to have a clutch (paddle shifters).

I personally like driving a manual car for recreational driving, a auto for my hour plus commute, and a auto when racing (you will never shift faster and more precise than a computer).

rathefeare    8
As far as auto trans goes, it depends on the application. Constant bumper to bumper city driving is much nicer with an auto. Drag racing is much more precise with an auto (technically semi auto). The technology is there where you don't need to have a clutch (paddle shifters).

I personally like driving a manual car for recreational driving, a auto for my hour plus commute, and a auto when racing (you will never shift faster and more precise than a computer).

But the "computer" lacks the ability to anticipate the corner. With a manual the driver chooses the proper gear before the corner while in the braking portion. He can then maintain that gear throughout the entirety of the corner and feed back on the power as he chooses while accelerating out. With an auto, the transmission must search for what it "thinks" might be the proper gear for the corner often during the cornering part itself or the acceleration out of the corner exactly the situation where you do not want to upset the balance of the car by having the transmission shift into a different gear. I can shift more precisely than a computer; into precisely the proper gear for the corner that is. If I can't beat the computers speed than I will make it up in finer control, lower weight and less parasitic power loss.

chconline    163
But the "computer" lacks the ability to anticipate the corner. With a manual the driver chooses the proper gear before the corner while in the braking portion. He can then maintain that gear throughout the entirety of the corner and feed back on the power as he chooses while accelerating out. With an auto, the transmission must search for what it "thinks" might be the proper gear for the corner often during the cornering part itself or the acceleration out of the corner exactly the situation where you do not want to upset the balance of the car by having the transmission shift into a different gear. I can shift more precisely than a computer; into precisely the proper gear for the corner that is. If I can't beat the computers speed than I will make it up in finer control, lower weight and less parasitic power loss.

I am all for manuals, but your points can be argued. A dual clutch transmission isn't like a torque converter that has a huge weight and lots of fluid coupling loss. You can select your own gear in a corner if you like too. The difference is that with a car like the Nissan GT-R, it is factual that it actually performs better in full automatic mode than in 'manual' mode around the track.