Poltergeist Remake Gets a Release Date

poltergeist1550x340.jpg

For the last year now, we?ve been hearing rumblings of a Poltergeist remake over at MGM. Last August we told you that the studio had hired Juliet Snowden and Stiles White, the team behind the modern horror classic (sarcasm) Boogeyman to write the screenplay. And we soon after learned that House of Sand and Fog director Vadim Perelmen was in talks to helm the unnecessary remake.

But until a release date is announced, I sometimes tend to convince myself that these projects could easily find their way into the depths of development hell. Until there is a production start, or a release date, the movie really doesn?t exist. Well, I have some bad news. MGM has announced a release date. According to Shock, the ?studio? has slated the haunted house remake for November 24th 2010. No further details have been released at this time.

Tobe Hooper?s 1982 film was co-written, produced and highly supervised by Steven Spielberg, and told the story of a family?s haunted home which had been built over an Indian burial ground. The film is notorious for it?s PG rating, which it obtained after an appeal to the MPAA. The movie spawned two sequels, neither of which were as acclaimed or as successful as the original.

Perelman debuted with 2003?s House of Sand and Fog, a well received literary adaptation that garnered three Oscar nominations, including a Best Actor nod for Ben Kingsley. In addition to Boogeyman, Snowden and White?s screenwriting credits also include the remake of Alfred Hitchcock?s The Birds for M.Bay?s Platinum Dunes and Alex Proyas? Knowing.

[slash film]

I'd love to see a Poltergeist remake actually.

But without Heather O'Rourke (who died sadly many years ago now) in it (even as a cameo or something) it'll just seem hollow to me. Craig T. Nelson could still play the dad though!

And god is in his hooooollllly temple!

I'd love to see a Poltergeist remake actually.

But without Heather O'Rourke (who died sadly many years ago now) in it (even as a cameo or something) it'll just seem hollow to me. Craig T. Nelson could still play the dad though!

And god is in his hooooollllly temple!

They could just make a new Poltergeist and that would be cool. Why the need to "remake" everything?!?!?

The only way they could make a new Poltergeist movie that is related to the previous films is to integrate the previous story/family. Conisdering Heather is dead, and it would be just dumb for them to try to explain that away in a 2 hour movie, they are better off going with a remake in this case imo.

The only way they could make a new Poltergeist movie that is related to the previous films is to integrate the previous story/family. Conisdering Heather is dead, and it would be just dumb for them to try to explain that away in a 2 hour movie, they are better off going with a remake in this case imo.

They could just make one that isn't related. I've only seen the 1st one, so I don't know about the story, but I'm sure they could find a way to tie it in somehow? Maybe take place in the original house or something? I dunno, maybe a remake is the best option here, but personally I'm just sick and tired of all these remakes.

Well the original movie is nearly 30 years old, so a remake isn't that bad considering some of the other movies they are making these days.

As for the original house, remember it got sucked into a black hole created by CERN :D (sure they could rebuild it, I know lol)

• 2 years later...

Finally moving ahead -

/angry mode on

http://m.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/sam-raimi-produce-mgm-poltergeist-317606

Sam Raimi is boarding MGM?s Poltergeist.

The filmmaker, who got his start with the Evil Dead horror movies, will produce the remake of the 1982 film -- which Steven Spielberg produced and co-scripted from his original story -- with Nathan Kahane, Roy Lee, and Robert Tapert.

Despite some reports, Raimi is not directing the remake but will help oversee the search for a helmer.

David Lindsay-Abaire, who worked on Disney's Oz: The Great and Powerful for Raimi, is working on the script, which focuses on a family whose house was built on a holy site and whosedaughter is taken by ghosts.

>

The original should stay the ONLY version of this movie. I don't see how anyone in the world could think otherwise as it is one awesome movie to watch over and over! The follow ups weren't all that great but at least #2 kept the same actors with the exception of the older girl.

The actress who played the older daughter.couldn't return - she was dead.

Dana was played by Dominique Dunne. She was strangled by her ex-boyfriend after Poltergeist and just as she'd started filming her role as Robin Maxwell in the original V miniseries. Blair Tefkin took over as Robin, and the V miniseries was dedicated to Dunne.

• 10 months later...

IT-WON'T-DIE!!

http://deadline.com/2013/03/monster-houses-gil-kenan-finds-new-haunt-hell-helm-mgm-poltergeist-remake/

EXCLUSIVE: MGM has found a director for its remake of the horror classic Poltergeist. It?s Gil Kenan, who?s best known for helming Monster House and City Of Ember. He separately has set up an original, A Giant, with Lava Bear and The Henson Company. The remake of the 1982 Tobe Hooper-directed pic is being produced by Sam Raimi, Nathan Kahane, and Roy Lee. The original starred Craig T. Nelson and Jobeth Williams as parents in a family whose dream house turns into a nightmare.

They could just make a new Poltergeist and that would be cool. Why the need to "remake" everything?!?!?

They release remakes every a few years so they can make movies with the new technologies.. I have noticed some of the old movies have grainy and odd effects... which we have best HD movies in today's and beyond.

but... but.... TV channels don't go to 'snow' anymore! how will it work?!

The little one will be a prodigy, finding the ghosts in MPEG-4 quantization artifact patterns in videos viewed on her on her NEXUS 7 2.0 :whistle:

They release remakes every a few years so they can make movies with the new technologies.. I have noticed some of the old movies have grainy and odd effects... which we have best HD movies in today's and beyond.

Wholeheartedly agree.

Finally someone with some sense, they need to make movies to appeal to a yonger generation. I for one don't mind a remake if done properly, these movies were good to begin with, why not keep it fresh and still good? (Again, if done properly.)

I hate that movie so much! because it can may be cause curse anyone, because younger actress died long time ago.

Damn, another classic that'll be ruined :/

Poltergeist was on cable TV not long ago... I remembered that movie when I was little and I also remembered "The Shining"

I saw the original one in Oct 2011 - scariest movie ever.