Got Windows 7?  

553 members have voted

1. 1. How did you get Windows 7

• Beta gift from Microsoft Connect
    • MSDN/TechNet
    • I am still using the beta/Release candidate
    • By "other" means
    • I don't have Windows 7 at all

Back to Vista at the moment but do have access to a version through MSDN. However because that's through work and because the licensing is rather ambiguous I've just decided to pre-order Windows 7 Home Premium so that, for the first time in about 12 years, I'll actually own a copy of Windows rather than "getting it through work" and can forget about licensing concerns, etc. At ?50, it seemed stupid not to!

I've got one from Technet.

I am confused as to which version of windows to install now..pro or ultimate.

What are other technet/msdn people doing?

Getting MSDN just for getting windows is definitely not worth it, when Technet costs half of what MSDN costs, and I thought it's 800 a year. Plus, you'd only get 1 keys, with 10 activation for that key only. It's only worth it if you're really a developer.

I've got one from Technet.

I am confused as to which version of windows to install now..pro or ultimate.

What are other technet/msdn people doing?

Ultimate. it has everything that other editions have.

Getting MSDN just for getting windows is definitely not worth it, when Technet costs half of what MSDN costs, and I thought it's 800 a year. Plus, you'd only get 1 keys, with 10 activation for that key only.

Uh, you get the same number of keys as TechNet.

MSDN is a more "premium" subscription than TechNet, and in terms of what you get, the former is a superset of the latter (well, depending on the MSDN subscription level). You get access to a number of things that you can't get via TechNet, such as Visual Studio, Expression Studio, MapPoint, checked builds, etc. The license is also different: you can use it for development, debugging/testing, and demonstration, which you can't with TechNet.

Uh, you get the same number of keys as TechNet.

MSDN is a more "premium" subscription than TechNet, and in terms of what you get, the former is a superset of the latter (well, depending on the MSDN subscription level). You get access to a number of things that you can't get via TechNet, such as Visual Studio, Expression Studio, MapPoint, checked builds, etc. The license is also different: you can use it for development, debugging/testing, and demonstration, which you can't with TechNet.

I've had MSDN subscription before, few years ago. I was only able to get one key, and that's it. I could never get another key for any version of windows.

I've had MSDN subscription before, few years ago. I was only able to get one key, and that's it. I could never get another key for any version of windows.

Perhaps their policy has changed. I can request multiple keys per SKU through MSDN.