Advisable to disable paging file?

might want to take that up with the people who wrote the SDK documentation then because they have it in there ;)

You'll have to provide a reference to that, or at the very least explain how on earth it is going to create a new file when the file system driver is no longer running. The "page file" is simply used for crash dumps because it represents a set of disk sectors that can be safely written to without compromising data integrity. Windows writes directly to these sectors using the disk driver.

The why does a system run faster without it?

It doesn't? I've tried and been unable to measure any difference. I've also watched the page fault statistics, and it virtually never pages to disk anyway.

Only 512MB? I guess that could be a marginal case where it has to resort to using less memory because there is no page file available, whereas earlier it would just page to disk when you used too much?

Yes that's it. "Resort to using less memory"

Because without the PageFile, it will not be used. And only Ram will be used

Because if PageFile exists, then it will use some of the PageFile, even before Ram is maxed out

Therefore zero PageFile can speed up a system :p

never disable it

if anything put a small fast HDD as a secondary drive and put the pagefile on that if your worried

I agree

I'm presently running 2Gig of Ram on XP

With 1.5Gig PageFile on my secondary drive

Oh but make sure the secondary drive (not partition of course) is a fast (generally standard) drive

This is an interesting thread. For me personally, I've never disabled the pagefile, but I don't really understand how disabling it could improve performance personally... I don't really understand the argument. It sounds to me like a PC Gamer that thinks they're a PC Expert trying to sound knowledgeable...

I'm only going by experience

And its common knowledge that zero pagefile will make your system faster (well I thought it was)

And I've had long debates on PageFile before

And even though I have thousands of games, I'm not really a "gamer" anymore

I do believe I know a bit about computers and Windows though

If you use your system for just running one application at the time, Just playing a game and then off it won't make any difference. However disabling the pagefile will not speed up your computer by any chance. I wonder why users speak about speeding up whilst I believe they are based only on these rubish theories without able to prove of what they are saying.

Ask yourself why even linux need a swap partition.

Pagefile has nothing to do with memory and speeding up. Moreover there is a very crucial temp space needed by the OS for applications, file transfers etc. Disabling the pagefile will cause applications to crash (not as often as it may sound) and generally will leed to poor performance especially during heavy multitasking.

linux swap and windows pagefile can be calculated by the size of the ram. The more ram u have the more pagefile and swap u need for crucial OS needs.

There is an easy way and a hard way to determine the size of the pagefile you need. Following the link below you will get an idea.

MS Support - Determine pagefile size

However because windows don't use a seperate partition you might need to optimize that space on your own. Just follow some simple steps.

1. Disable the pagefile

2. Reboot your system

3. Defrag your disk which will hold your pagefile (for 1 physical drive its pointless to keep the pagefile elsewhere. Keep the default path)

On vista i would suggest you to use the system defrag tool. Any OS before Vista i would suggest OO defrag.

4. Determine the pagefile size and create a static pagefile

5. And Thats it. The pagefile will remain in good shape from now on.

Regards,

Nikos

after using every version of Windows ever released and providing support to all of them

I know this off topic, but I just highly doubt the validity of this statement, though I could be wrong, you could have installed and provided support to Windows 1, 2, 3, 95, 98(+SE), ME, XP, Vista and 7, not to mention all the SP's and variants.

what your friend said was just bull as windows will still use it even if it gets turned off as all your doing is turning off your ability to manage it and as long as you got enough memory i would leave it alone, perhaps in the earlier days it would make a difference but we aint there now. i always leave mine alone but i used to fiddle with it at one time.

don't disable it. You need it when you have a BSOD, so that Windows can write the dump information first into the page file and on reboot into the real dump file.

There are clearly some people in this thread who want you to think they know what they are talking about when they don't. Here's the bottom line - do whatever you like. It's your system. Turn the pagefile off (it's not really off, but if you think it is that's fine) or leave it on. Set it large or set it small. Whatever makes you happy. These pagefile threads are nonsense. Do whatever you think works best for you.

Next.

Turn the pagefile off (it's not really off, but if you think it is that's fine)

Of course it is. Why on earth do you believe Windows creates super secret page files on your hard drive even though you've explicitly instructed it not to? What do you base this absurd claim on?