Just Came Out Of The Closet With My Familly

Just Came Out Of The Closet With My Family
Yes this means I am gay

And here I thought you were just returning from Narnia with your family :p

Seriously glad it went well for you, I only have one gay friend that I know of and he kept it secret all of high school and came out once we had left. Found it quite hard but we were all supportive. Funny thing is we used to always say he'd be a hairdresser when he was older in high school, but not as a gay joke, just because he was always obsessed with his hair :laugh:

Thats great news mate. My cousin came out a few years ago, and unfortunatley his dad turned around and said "You are dead to me" and chucked him out of the house.

Congrats, man! That took guts.

I'm bisexual myself and still remember where, who, and how I came out to first. I'm not out completely to the entire family, though so much is going on health-wise in the family, I'm somewhat afraid to as it wouldn't take much for some peoples' health to go really bad really quick, so I've stayed quiet to those people. Moving on, I knew when I was 15 and was scared at what people would think. At the time, dad wasn't around and I told mom, though she was (and to this day) in denial, though not angry or negative about it. It was February 19, 2004 when I came out to one cousin and February 23, 2004 when I came out to another cousin (the previous cousin's younger sister). I told three of my friends on April 6, 2004. Two of them turned their backs and the other one was not phased as he said he had an idea I might be and it didn't matter to him. (Unfortunately that friend died later that year in a 4-wheeler accident-- drunk driver hit him.) It took one of my aunts to get me mad then break down before I came out to her-- Thanksgiving 2005. She told me she thought she knew but wasn't sure, but knew something about me was different. Two other cousins found out that day as well. Everyone that does know (minus the two people that turned their backs) have been very supportive, which really surprised me.

There are more that don't know than do know, but the ones that don't know are the ones that aren't doing well health-wise and I don't want to feel like I'm adding any more issues on their shoulders. My main worry is my father and my aunt (my mom's sister). At the time I knew (at 15), dad was nowhere around (which is a long story in itself I won't go into), but he is back now. He's also one that isn't doing well health-wise, but is also one that if I told, the ramifications could be ugly. That and I don't want him to think it was his fault because he wasn't around while I was discovering myself. It's been a slow, arduous, and sometimes spooky process, but the ones that do know or have found out at least have been supportive.

But once again, congrats soonerproud!

:pint:

Wow, congrats!

I know what a weight that is to get off of your shoulders, and am glad that your family took it so well. Sounds like they couldn't have taken it better.

Coming out to my family was a bit rocky at first, but they have adjusted, and things are relatively normal (My family was always quirky, so this just compounded it with a pinch of awkward... LOL), and they even met my last ex. It goes to show though that even if they react unfavorably at first, once the shock wears off, they can calm down and adjust. And once they're comfortable with it a bit, then you get the questions (Which, coming from family, could be both intriguing and horrifying... lol), but it shows that they're trying to understand and show an interest in your life, so you try to answer as best you can.

I've talked about this with some friends, and unless you've come out, you really don't understand what a weight being in the closet puts on you. I honestly never realized it until I came out. It was all I had known. But what a relief it was to get it out there. I even share some of my more bizarre dates with my mother now... LOL

I expected worst case all these years for the day I finally came out and so have had the best possible experience for some one coming out. I also am purposely avoiding many extended family members to give them time to get used to it and to put the ball in their court to contact me and ask about it.

The question especially from friends are definitely interesting. I have been asked things like "have you ever checked me out or looked me over?" and "Are you the pitcher or the catcher?". Talking about some awkward moments the last few days, lol.

Congrats, man! That took guts.

I'm bisexual myself and still remember where, who, and how I came out to first. I'm not out completely to the entire family, though so much is going on health-wise in the family, I'm somewhat afraid to as it wouldn't take much for some peoples' health to go really bad really quick, so I've stayed quiet to those people. Moving on, I knew when I was 15 and was scared at what people would think. At the time, dad wasn't around and I told mom, though she was (and to this day) in denial, though not angry or negative about it. It was February 19, 2004 when I came out to one cousin and February 23, 2004 when I came out to another cousin (the previous cousin's younger sister). I told three of my friends on April 6, 2004. Two of them turned their backs and the other one was not phased as he said he had an idea I might be and it didn't matter to him. (Unfortunately that friend died later that year in a 4-wheeler accident-- drunk driver hit him.) It took one of my aunts to get me mad then break down before I came out to her-- Thanksgiving 2005. She told me she thought she knew but wasn't sure, but knew something about me was different. Two other cousins found out that day as well. Everyone that does know (minus the two people that turned their backs) have been very supportive, which really surprised me.

There are more that don't know than do know, but the ones that don't know are the ones that aren't doing well health-wise and I don't want to feel like I'm adding any more issues on their shoulders. My main worry is my father and my aunt (my mom's sister). At the time I knew (at 15), dad was nowhere around (which is a long story in itself I won't go into), but he is back now. He's also one that isn't doing well health-wise, but is also one that if I told, the ramifications could be ugly. That and I don't want him to think it was his fault because he wasn't around while I was discovering myself. It's been a slow, arduous, and sometimes spooky process, but the ones that do know or have found out at least have been supportive.

But once again, congrats soonerproud!

:pint:

Good luck with your family and I hope those members who are ill will get better soon. My mom's health is not all that good (COPD, Arthritis, Heart Disease, High Blood Pressure, Severe Osteoporosis, and she is a 30 year Breast Cancer survivor.) and she has handled it extremely well. She is so proud of me she has been calling relatives across the country and bragging that I am gay. (I think she equates my homosexuality to the antics on Will and Grace. I don't want to tell her that W&G was complete BS and that I am nothing like Will and Jack.)

Congratulations :) I'm so happy that your family has been accepting -- that's wonderful!

I am transgender and bisexual, and was scared to death to tell my parents. They found out a short time after I did, when I was 19. I knew they would never be accepting but it was still sad to suddenly not have them around and in my life anymore. Especially for younger people, having an accepting family is extremely important...to have those people in their life that love them and care about them at a time when they need them the most.

I got asked a lot of strange and inappropriate questions for the longest time. I still do, but usually people are just trying to understand and don't mean to say something offensive.

~ Hooray for gay! ~ :)

I have known I was gay since about the age of ten (I am 40 now. Wow time flies!) but spent many years afraid to tell my family because my dad ( He passed on in 2006) would probably have physically harmed me if I did. I have always taken rejection horribly and was petrified all these years to tell my family about this part of my life. What a pleasant surprise to find while all my family was at first shocked, how supportive they are being right now. My Mom said when I told her "So what, you are the same person to me you have always been and then she called her sisters and with pride told them I was gay.

I was so worried of all my brothers reactions. The three of the four I was able to tell face to face while at first stunned basically said you are who you are and this changes nothing. My 20 year old niece Talia said "You are now my favorite uncle because I finally have some one I can talk to about other guys with." My fifteen year old niece also said I love you and accept you no matter what.

I am really proud of my family and how they are rising to the occasion. I know it is tough, especially on my brothers to find this out, but we all are better off knowing the truth instead of living a lie.

I came out online a few months ago right here on Neowin and you guys have helped me to finally quit looking at myself as evil, perverted or dirty and to just be proud of who I am and embrace it. Thank you fellow Neowinians for your support, I greatly appreciate it.

If you are still in the closet, with the exception of the threat of violence or losing your home you will be much better off coming out of the closet. There is a huge weight off my shoulder and I finally feel I can just be me for once in my life and I don't have to be ashamed but can be proud to be a gay man.

IMO, you should have let it out waaaaay sooner. Not only did you not get to tell your dad, this weight would have been lesser on you.

Even though you are gay, you are still a man and you have to stick up for yourself.

My niece just told me she was Try-Sexual. She will try anything once lol.

Trysexual doesnt really exist. Its slang and means nothing (except "try anything once") Although with 15, Id be your family and I would worry alot more about her than you...

I am transgender and bisexual

I believe that is technically impossible. Explain please :)

Congrads to whoever admitted to being homosexual (IMO "gay" is nowadays a derogatory term even though everyone including myself uses it).

Ah BTW did anyone in your family say something like "I saw it coming", "We knew a long time ago", etc?

Just wondering.

See, I love gay people because they are free with themselves.

Now, I HATE gay people that go around showing they are gay (clothing for example), telling the whole world at every moment that they are gay, going to gay rallies (Im not even for political rallies; I just hate rallies lol) protesting (although they have all the rights in the world such as work, etc), not respecting hetrosexuals, etc. I believe you catch what I am trying to say :)

I expected worst case all these years for the day I finally came out and so have had the best possible experience for some one coming out. I also am purposely avoiding many extended family members to give them time to get used to it and to put the ball in their court to contact me and ask about it.

The question especially from friends are definitely interesting. I have been asked things like "have you ever checked me out or looked me over?" and "Are you the pitcher or the catcher?". Talking about some awkward moments the last few days, lol.

LOL, yeah. The questions are interesting to say the least. I've gotten "How do you know?", and from my mother once got "What's a Hermaphrodite?" (Not sure what that had to do with me..., but still not an easy thing to explain to mom... LOL).

My mom's great though. She's doing much better with it now, so if she could adjust, then anyone could. LOL

The questions in general I think are a good thing. It shows that they're trying to show an interest, which in turn shows that they're at the very least trying to accept it.

Come to think of it, "Funny Questions", could be an entertaining discussion. lol

Congratulations :) I'm so happy that your family has been accepting -- that's wonderful!

I am transgender and bisexual, and was scared to death to tell my parents. They found out a short time after I did, when I was 19. I knew they would never be accepting but it was still sad to suddenly not have them around and in my life anymore. Especially for younger people, having an accepting family is extremely important...to have those people in their life that love them and care about them at a time when they need them the most.

I got asked a lot of strange and inappropriate questions for the longest time. I still do, but usually people are just trying to understand and don't mean to say something offensive.

I'm sorry to hear that Liana... I hope you can reconnect with your parents in the future... Sometimes it takes some time, but you're still the same person inside, and at some point they realize that. When I was younger I was thrown out of the house for a bit. When I came back my mother glowed every time I made a joke or something. She realized that I was the same person I had always been, so hopefully that will be the case for your parents.

I am transgender and bisexual

Well, Transgender means that you have changed your gender or associate yourself with another gender. bisexuality means that you are attracted to both genders.

Congrads to whoever admitted to being homosexual (IMO "gay" is nowadays a derogatory term even though everyone including myself uses it).

Now, I HATE gay people that go around showing they are gay (clothing for example), telling the whole world at every moment that they are gay, going to gay rallies (Im not even for political rallies; I just hate rallies lol) protesting (although they have all the rights in the world such as work, etc), not respecting hetrosexuals, etc. I believe you catch what I am trying to say :)

Thanks for your support of gay people. I always like seeing that personally, because it isn't the "scary thing" that some people make it out to be.

Just to follow up to your comment about rallies and such, things have come a long way, but homosexuals still don't have the rights that heterosexuals have in many places. I don't know where you're located, but in the US for example, depending on where you live, you may not be able to marry, you may not be able to adopt, we can technically be fired legally if the employer doesn't want gays working for him (Depending on the terms of employment obviously), etc. One state can allow you to marry, but if you move to another state, you could no longer be married. One state even gave us the right to marry, then put it up to popular vote and the population took it away (Which nullified those marriages). Some countries are still charging citizens with homosexual activity, which can result in jail time or even death. Mobs have killed suspected homosexuals in some countries. It all depends on where you are, but there are still some things that are rally / protest worthy...

And am also glad that in 4 pages we've not had anyone say anything negative.

Yay!

I was pleased to see that as well.

And here I thought you were just returning from Narnia with your family :p

Thanks for giving me a laugh this morning :p

And to the OP, congrats dude must feel a hell of a lot better after such a long time!

Congrats!

I'm bisexual myself, and I managed to come out to some friends. My family, well I'll hold on to that until I find a guy to be with. I suspect that I'd be the last one to have a significant other, anyway - my sis is married and expecting a baby in April 2010 (yes, I'd be an uncle!) .... my bro's living with his gf ..... sigh.

Lately I've been thinking about coming out sometime in 2010.

Congrats!

I'm bisexual myself, and I managed to come out to some friends. My family, well I'll hold on to that until I find a guy to be with. I suspect that I'd be the last one to have a significant other, anyway - my sis is married and expecting a baby in April 2010 (yes, I'd be an uncle!) .... my bro's living with his gf ..... sigh.

Good luck coming out to the family when you do. If you do it when seeing someone, just make sure that it's something that YOU'RE ready for. Ultimately it has to be your decision. I came out to my family years ago when I was seeing someone, and though that relationship didn't work out (Nor did the subsequent ones... LOL), it was something that I had been planning for a bit and wanted to do. I don't regret it at all.

I'm sorry to hear that Liana... I hope you can reconnect with your parents in the future... Sometimes it takes some time, but you're still the same person inside, and at some point they realize that. When I was younger I was thrown out of the house for a bit. When I came back my mother glowed every time I made a joke or something. She realized that I was the same person I had always been, so hopefully that will be the case for your parents.

Thank you M_Lyons. I had hope for a while, but because of their extreme beliefs about it I don't think they'll ever come around. I actually felt felt a lot better when I let go of that hope, because then I could accept the situation as it is and move on with my life, instead of thinking up ways to try and make things better and being crushed when they didn't work out. I tried everything I could to have a relationship with them again and they don't want it. On the bright side, I do have people in my life who are there for me, love me, and are like parents to me, and I am so thankful for that. I'm very happy, healthy, and doing pretty well for myself, and I owe a lot of that to those people.

I am really glad that your mother had a change of heart :)

Thank you M_Lyons. I had hope for a while, but because of their extreme beliefs about it I don't think they'll ever come around. I actually felt felt a lot better when I let go of that hope, because then I could accept the situation as it is and move on with my life, instead of thinking up ways to try and make things better and being crushed when they didn't work out. I tried everything I could to have a relationship with them again and they don't want it. On the bright side, I do have people in my life who are there for me, love me, and are like parents to me, and I am so thankful for that. I'm very happy, healthy, and doing pretty well for myself, and I owe a lot of that to those people.

It really is admirable to see the positive attitude you have after what happened with your parents (Y) :) I know a lot of people who would never be able to get over something like that. I applaud the way you have dealt with the situation :)

Fair play.I'm straight but I have enough gay friends and a little bit of family to understand the problems with coming out.

Stick with it, from what I have read you seem to be on the right path.

I'm really glad that you have such a positive attitude about things. That's really great. Sometimes friends are the best family, and I'm glad that you have people like that in your life. :D

If I would have come out at 19, I have no doubt my situation would have been more similar to yours. I am very blessed to have seen my family grow to the point they can accept this without hesitation. I hope you found a new family that will love you for who you are, not what they think you should be.

IMO, you should have let it out waaaaay sooner. Not only did you not get to tell your dad, this weight would have been lesser on you.

Even though you are gay, you are still a man and you have to stick up for yourself.

This has nothing to do with sticking up for yourself and no, telling my Dad would have not lifted any burden because I know for a fact he would have not taken it well and his health was poor for the last decade of his life. Everyone's situation is different so there is no one size fits all when coming out.

Trysexual doesnt really exist. Its slang and means nothing (except "try anything once") Although with 15, Id be your family and I would worry alot more about her than you...

First, I was taking about my 21 year old niece and second, your humor meter is broken. Try-sexual is a play on words that she is willing to try anything sexually once. So, yes in essence try-sexual does exist.

No, it's not. Liana is trans-gendered and is attracted to both sexes sexually at the same time. There is nothing even remotely impossible here.

Ah BTW did anyone in your family say something like "I saw it coming", "We knew a long time ago", etc?

Just wondering.

Why would you hate people that are proud of being gay but like those that are discreet about it? I'm not flamboyant in the slightest bit and yes sometimes the flamboyant gays can get on my nerves but I have the greatest amount of respect for people who are going to proudly be themselves. Political rallies, protest and other forms of civil participation are the foundation of this country and gays have the right to make their voices heard just as much as all the other groups in this country do. Without gay, lesbian and trans-gendered people participating in political rallies and protest, we would not have the rights we have today.

Congrats soonerproud! It must be a relief, and a weight off your shoulders.

It is and at the same time I have a whole new set of fears trepidation because this is still all so new to me. My anxiety level is very high right now and I am having trouble sleeping more than five hours a night. It will level out over time as I get used to being so open about myself to others. I have been hiding in the closet so long that the light of freedom is almost blinding.

LOL, yeah. The questions are interesting to say the least. I've gotten "How do you know?", and from my mother once got "What's a Hermaphrodite?" (Not sure what that had to do with me..., but still not an easy thing to explain to mom... LOL).

My mom's great though. She's doing much better with it now, so if she could adjust, then anyone could. LOL

The questions in general I think are a good thing. It shows that they're trying to show an interest, which in turn shows that they're at the very least trying to accept it.

Come to think of it, "Funny Questions", could be an entertaining discussion. lol

Some questions just floor you when they ask. Sean asked me last night what kind of men I was into (smooth or hairy) and I just could not answer that one I was so floored by it. I'm still waiting for "Do you spit or swallow?" to be asked.

Nicely done - am glad it went smoothly for you.

And am also glad that in 4 pages we've not had anyone say anything negative.

Play safe kids :)

Thanks!

I am impressed with the civility in this thread and hope it continues.

Congrats!

Do some soul searching and come out when you are ready to. Don't feel pressured to come out just do it when you are ready.

Well, Transgender means that you have changed your gender or associate yourself with another gender. bisexuality means that you are attracted to both genders.

So you can be both genders and attracted to both genders?

Thats where I actually got pretty confused but I guess that clears it up

Thanks for your support of gay people. I always like seeing that personally, because it isn't the "scary thing" that some people make it out to be.

Not sure if you are gay or not, but your welcome. People have their attraction in their own personal way.

Just to follow up to your comment about rallies and such, things have come a long way, but homosexuals still don't have the rights that heterosexuals have in many places. I don't know where you're located, but in the US for example, depending on where you live, you may not be able to marry, you may not be able to adopt, we can technically be fired legally if the employer doesn't want gays working for him (Depending on the terms of employment obviously), etc. One state can allow you to marry, but if you move to another state, you could no longer be married. One state even gave us the right to marry, then put it up to popular vote and the population took it away (Which nullified those marriages). Some countries are still charging citizens with homosexual activity, which can result in jail time or even death. Mobs have killed suspected homosexuals in some countries. It all depends on where you are, but there are still some things that are rally / protest worthy...

For discrimination reasons, of course gay people should protest. I have a lesbian friend and I went to a protest with her because they fired her friend off work (and I knew that person as well) because she was a lesbian (of course they didnt tell her that was the reason but for no reason they fired her and word was that she was a lesbian and made her boss "uneasy") . Im in total disagree with that.

This has nothing to do with sticking up for yourself and no, telling my Dad would have not lifted any burden because I know for a fact he would have not taken it well and his health was poor for the last decade of his life. Everyone's situation is different so there is no one size fits all when coming out.

Both of you are grown men with inteligent brains on your shoulders. You could have explained it to him. And no matter what, your dad will still have loved you. There is no doubt in that.

Your brothers I believe havent taken the news too well. Even though that is now, they will still love you as a brother.

I quote Adam Sandler from Big Daddy:

"They are still like our brothers. Our very very gay brothers"

First, I was taking about my 21 year old niece and second, your humor meter is broken. Try-sexual is a play on words that she is willing to try anything sexually once. So, yes in essence try-sexual does exist.

21? Even worse. Although if you want to give her my number.... :p

All jokes aside, if you look it up try-sexual does not really exist. It isnt a word but in slang means that :)

And I thought she was 15 (like your original post said)

No, it's not. Liana is trans-gendered and is attracted to both sexes sexually at the same time. There is nothing even remotely impossible here.

Heterosexual means you are attracted to only the opposite sex.

Homosexual means you are attracted only to your sex.

Bisexual means you are attracted to either sex.

If you are both sexes how can you be attracted to either sex as the same time?

I understand but its sorta mind boggling.

Why would you hate people that are proud of being gay but like those that are discreet about it? I'm not flamboyant in the slightest bit and yes sometimes the flamboyant gays can get on my nerves but I have the greatest amount of respect for people who are going to proudly be themselves. Political rallies, protest and other forms of civil participation are the foundation of this country and gays have the right to make their voices heard just as much as all the other groups in this country do. Without gay, lesbian and trans-gendered people participating in political rallies and protest, we would not have the rights we have today.

I completely disagree with the first part.

I dont go around saying "God I love ######", "I am so proud to be heterosexual", "Heterosexual has great rights", etc. I dont tell everyone Im heterosexual and like only women. I dont dress in a certain way to attract women or to reassure my "heterosexual masculinity".

I have a friend who is lesbian and you would not notice in the slightest amount that she is lesbian. The only way you would notice is if you observe her, and you see her (and my) head turn when a great ass, some great ######, some beautiful eyes, and a great body passes by. We even like the same girls (on most cases. Thank to her some Ive discovered are pretty fake)

Just wondering.

Some people are "flamey" and that's just the way you are. People are just being themselves and that's that. Some people regardless of sexual orientation are more feminine or masculine than other people. Just look at metrosexuals for example, straight males that display many of the traits that people often describe as "gay". As for the rights thing, we have far from equal rights. In some parts of the world we are killed for who we are, and in many more we are jailed for who are are. Even in country's like the US, a large chunk of the people (About 1/3rd or more). The suicide rates are sky high (You are 3X more likely to commit suicide if your gay) and coming out is still the most nerve wracking thing you can do, with a good possibility of a bunch of people that are your friends and family rejecting you. If you come out at work you still face the rejection of your colleagues and the possibility of loosing your job. Regardless of laws about job discrimination, if your boss doesn't like you being gay you stand a good chance of loosing your job, as it's easy to fire someone for other various reasons. Even in Canada which is one of the most liberal country's in the world, we have a long way to come before being accepted and when it's considered normal. In other places like the US, we have even further to come.

And yeah, coming out does take a load off your shoulders. I came out before 17 and before I came out I was a depressed, shy guy. It's one of the hardest things to do and congratulations on doing it!