LCD or Plasma TV?

Plasma is like the old crt televisions (more calm and movie/television friendly picture) while LCD is like computer monitor (Vibrant and super crisp, more game friendly).

Each pixel in plasma has its own backlight while LCD have one big light source behind the lcd screen. Therefore plasma = better blacks.

Plasma is like the old crt televisions (more calm and movie/television friendly picture) while LCD is like computer monitor (Vibrant and super crisp, more game friendly).

Each pixel in plasma has its own backlight while LCD have one big light source behind the lcd screen. Therefore plasma = better blacks.

LED LCDs have groups of LEDs or LEDs per pixel to provide comparable blacks... only downside is they are expensive

I have LCD myself and it has some of the best blacks, but it still can't beat plasma. I have Samsung LE40A656. Very nice tv.

Other disadvantages with LCD is uneven backlight :(

I hate the shiny reflective screen on plasmas, its really annoying , my vote is for lcd, the picture quality is just as good if not better.

What? Really? In terms of picture quality, Plasma by far is still better than LCD.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an avid LCD fan. When my LCD Projection TV died, I sought out for a new one, and I went straight to LCDs. After doing a TON of reading regarding comparisons, I opted for a Plasma instead. Why? Here's why ...

LCDs have refresh rate issues. Yes, you can get an LCD that has 120hz that will resolve this to a certain extent, or even 240hz (although isn't worth it for the 240hz). Plasmas don't have this issue. In fact, my Panasonic Plasma has a 600hz sub-drive for fluid motion. Needless to say, I don't have to worry about "ghosting" with fast paced things, such as sports, video games, etc.

Another issue is cost. A plasma screen TV has more features for the dollar. I picked up my 42" 1080p plasma for only $850. A comparable LCD would have cost me around $1k or more, just to match the features (such as fluid motion, which I wanted).

Plasmas these days DO NOT suffer from screen burn in like they do years ago. Yes, you could honestly recreate it if you were stupid and plastered a still image on the screen for days on end, but really, who does that? Plasmas these days have built-in features that prevent this from happening, such as pixel shifting, screensavers, automatic shutdown, etc.

I have an LCD in my bedroom. Its a FANTASTIC TV, but my Plasma, in terms of picture quality, beats it hands down. The blacks are incredible and the picture quality is far beyond what my LCD produces, or my previous LCD projection.

There are many more reasons, but your best bet is to do this:

Read up. Go into the store and do the comparison yourself. Bring your own test discs with you while your at it. Figure out what you want to spend vs. what you want feature wise.

Both technologies have good features and both technologies have faults. Take this into consideration and do your research!

What? Really? In terms of picture quality, Plasma by far is still better than LCD.

Agreed! When they played a Blu-ray demo on a 52" Plasma at Best Buy, the picture quality blew me away. Plasma definitely has better picture quality. Most people go for LCDs, though, because of their variety of sizes, they're lighter, and more energy efficient.

Yeah, those LED tv are just amazing. Contrast and colors are just jawdropping. But as far as the question about LCD's and Plasma goes - Plasma. As i still has better contrast and better picture overall. Atleast for my eye.

Panasonic have better build quality than most brands, and the kuros are amazing but they are pulling out the tv market so buy one while you can.

Panasonic is pulling out too?.. I thought it was Pioneer that wasnt going to continue to make their Plasmas...

Panasonic is pulling out too?.. I thought it was Pioneer that wasnt going to continue to make their Plasmas...

Sorry my mistake was tired, Panasonic arent pulling out iirc

As many have been saying in general a Plasma screen has better black levels than a typical LCD screen. If you are talking about an LED screen then these are just as good in picture quality, maybe a tad better but are more expensive. If I was buying right now I would not buy a Plasma screen however. It seems most manufacturers are pulling out of the Plasma business and going exclusively for LCD/LED similar to what happened with the DLP/LCOs branded tvs. They were slowly but surely phased out and replaced by LCD tvs. If you will double this screen as a PC monitor I would definitely lean more toward the LCD/LED camp.

I think he meant Pioneer was pulling out. Panasonic isn't pulling anytime soon.

As for LCD vs Plasma, I vote plasma. I actually bought a 46" plasma 850 series from Panasonic... and it just blows me away. But damn does it suck up juice.

• 1 month later...

a modern plasma set is better overall

get the last of the pioneer kuro's (I recently picked up a pro-141 signature elite).. or get a panasonic (the v10 series is quite nice)

Panasonic have better build quality than most brands, and the kuros are amazing but they are pulling out the tv market so buy one while you can.

Indeed.

I Have the Pioneer Kuru KRP-500A and I believe its still one of the best consumer TVs you can buy, but yes they are being discontinued.

Im not totally sure why, but at a guess its so they can concentrate on OLED.

Pioneer are pulling out of the Plasma range I believe, but Panasonic just manufacture the Pioneer TVs in their factories.

If you cant afford the Kuru range, then look at the Panasonic Plasmas, its the next best thing.

Every time I switch my TV on, it takes my breath away :D

Indeed.

I Have the Pioneer Kuru KRP-500A and I believe its still one of the best consumer TVs you can buy, but yes they are being discontinued.

Im not totally sure why, but at a guess its so they can concentrate on OLED.

Pioneer are pulling out of the Plasma range I believe, but Panasonic just manufacture the Pioneer TVs in their factories.

If you cant afford the Kuru range, then look at the Panasonic Plasmas, its the next best thing.

the panasonic manufacturing of the glass on pioneer sets never ended up happening; it was to start in with the gen 10's (which wont happen now as pioneer is exiting the plasma biz) .. the last of the gen9 pioneer kuro's, including your KRP-500 or my pro-141, is still 100% pioneer quality.

pioneer's reason for exiting is purely financial; they simply were not making money in their plasma division; despite having the best tv's out there. manufacturing and research of such a good set is expensive; and other companies could get 90% of the quality at a much cheaper price. Basically pioneer was priced out of the market. It is true they are working on OLED tech; but who knows if/when they will bring it to market.

Panasonic is doing a great job with their current neo-plasma tech (and its only getting better); I would consider them for sure if a kuro is not an option.

LED-lit LCD are the best right now. Well what's available right now anyways, Laser is better, but not here yet.

LCD ranges from 25,000:1 to 100,000:1 contrast ratio

Plasma is 2,000,000:1 and LED-lit LCD is 5,000,000:1

Also, although plasma is way better picture quality than regular LCD, it is suseptable to image burn-in, at least that's what I've been told, and that they would be no good to use for running a computer.

I know I'm lookin forward to a big LED-lit LCD tv, cuz the image quality is absolutely phenominal, and I'm used to watching plasma screens.

LED-lit LCD are the best right now. Well what's available right now anyways, Laser is better, but not here yet.

LCD ranges from 25,000:1 to 100,000:1 contrast ratio

Plasma is 2,000,000:1 and LED-lit LCD is 5,000,000:1

Also, although plasma is way better picture quality than regular LCD, it is suseptable to image burn-in, at least that's what I've been told, and that they would be no good to use for running a computer.

I know I'm lookin forward to a big LED-lit LCD tv, cuz the image quality is absolutely phenominal, and I'm used to watching plasma screens.

Plasma's do not have burn in. they do have image retention, or well some of the cheap samsungs do anyway.

Panasonic and Pioneers shouldn't have much of any image retention as long as you do the initial usage as instructed.

also LCD's also get image retention though.

Plasma's do not have burn in. they do have image retention, or well some of the cheap samsungs do anyway.

Panasonic and Pioneers shouldn't have much of any image retention as long as you do the initial usage as instructed.

Hmm, well as for the image burn-in, I'm just going by what electronics stores say toward using a plasma screen to run a PC on, and they say NO, not good.

I've never ever heard of anyone using plasma for computer use anyways.

I have 2 big plasma screens, it was that I wanted to have media center running on one, and I was told not to,

but I'd rather just get an LED-lit LCD cuz the picture quality is incredible, even compared to plasma, just blows it away by a long shot.

i was going to post the exact some thing

I use my pioneer plasmas for htpc use all the time.. no issues at all

Also LUTZIFER, the LED lcd's are not without their issues.. the grid based local dimming ones can produce weird halo effects under certain scenes.. aswell most LED sets this year are edge lit; and many users on avsforum complain of uneven backlighting. I also wont get into the motion compensation issues LCD's inherently have (i personally hate the effect 120hz or 240hz has on many movies and sports, looks so artificial) .. also dont base your purchase on dynamic contrast ratio's, most of them are complete fud.

Edited by WolfDV