[GC09] PlayStation 3 Firmware (v3.00) Update

Wait so can anyone clarify, how competitive is PS3's online community is now compared to XBox Live?

lol its the same as xbox. and its free

It's not the same at all :laugh: The two big things it lacks people want are

a) In-Game party voice chat system (you can only voice chat with people over the XMB)

b) Universal invite system

However it's nowhere near as crippled as some people make out. As a free service it's competitive, but that doesn't mean you sit on your ass and tell Sony it's okay for them not to be trying harder to mimic Xbox Live.

I think the redesign of the interface plays a larger role then we may think, probably free's up some system memory. Sony's largest issue at launch was the ridiculous amount of system memory the bare bones operating system used, meaning it was inefficient and things like universal voice chat which will use a lot of memory were obviously difficult to develop. That's a lot lower now but still not as low as the 360's memory footprint (I'll go find the official figures just now).

My analogy is the PS3 is a lot more like a PC, you get server browsers in a lot of the games, you need to join games your friends are already in unless the game has a party system (some do, but point b above, it's not universal). It's more tedious. Xbox Live does a better job of getting you and all your friends in the one server.

If you're a loner with no friends though PSN will be fine :p I'm kind of serious though, if you typically just jump in random servers and play yourself you won't really notice much of a difference between Live/PSN, it's when it comes to social features that involve playing with friends PSN is lacking.

Edited by Audioboxer

So can you clarify like why PSN is comparable to Live? I mean from what I have in mind is that Live is pretty sophisticated, you chat and voice chat and IM and stuff where PSN to me is like, none of those, can you IM during a game and voice chat and stuff like that? There's also gamer card (is that what it's called on Live?) and it gets pretty awsome comparing your "score" with friends and people around you, where I don't notice any of that for PSN.

What about DLC like for example RB2 where you can download new tracks on Live, is it the same on PSN?

So can you clarify like why PSN is comparable to Live? I mean from what I have in mind is that Live is pretty sophisticated, you chat and voice chat and IM and stuff where PSN to me is like, none of those, can you IM during a game and voice chat and stuff like that? There's also gamer card (is that what it's called on Live?) and it gets pretty awsome comparing your "score" with friends and people around you, where I don't notice any of that for PSN.

What about DLC like for example RB2 where you can download new tracks on Live, is it the same on PSN?

You can send messages and instant message chat in a room with up to 16 people during games, but no voice chat yet during a game yet, only over the XMB like I said above. Do understand I mean voice chat during a game like Xbox Live party chat, you can obviously voice chat in a game through the games built in voice chat.

You have a PSN gamercard, and yes you can compare trophies on the PS3 or on the website with friends.

All games like RB2 work exactly the same over both systems.

As I pointed out above the two features people want that are lacking are the voice chat during games, and the invite system. Voice chat is being worked on, I don't know about a universal invite system, it seems to be left up to the devs to implement invites themselves.

I recommend you go to a friends house with a PS3 and tell him/her to show it off to you. If you have an Xbox 360 you will notice things missing, it is not the same at all.

It's actually very, very hard to fully emulate the PS2 on the PS3's architecture, whilst it's really easy on a PC with enough RAM. I can't remember all the technical details, but there's something in the PS2's architecture that is extremely fast (EDRAM?), which isn't easy to imitate with Cell, RSX and 2x256MB of RAM.

Hopefully they are working on it, but it's no surprise it's taking so long.

You're thinking of the scratchpad memory, which is very small but very fast. However, PC Memory isn't as fast as the PS3's XD-RAM (I think that's the right term?) and we can emulate the PS2 just fine. Believe me, it's entirely possible to do it on a PS3, it just takes a bit of effort.

The PS2 itself is difficult to emulate on any platform, it has a complicated design. In fact, you can usually tell how hard something will be to emulate based on how hard it is to develop for and we all know the PS2 was a bitch to do (especially at first).

You're thinking of the scratchpad memory, which is very small but very fast. However, PC Memory isn't as fast as the PS3's XD-RAM (I think that's the right term?) and we can emulate the PS2 just fine. Believe me, it's entirely possible to do it on a PS3, it just takes a bit of effort.

The PS2 itself is difficult to emulate on any platform, it has a complicated design. In fact, you can usually tell how hard something will be to emulate based on how hard it is to develop for and we all know the PS2 was a bitch to do (especially at first).

Ah ok. Well this is where I got my info from:

Even assuming that Sony does get it working, software emulation will never be perfect, especially bearing in mind PS2's utilisation of ultra-bandwidth eDRAM, missing completely from the PS3 architecture. It may well be that backwards compatibility will return, but only deployed on a per-title basis. Fine for selected PSN downloads, not so good for people wanting to use their old disc-based games on PS3. All of which is speculation of course, and for the time being, the waiting game continues.

Source

yeah, emulation is definitely never 100% perfect. There's sort of two approaches to it. There's the "get it working" approach and there's the "100% perfect emulation" approach. Most PC emulators use the former. Essentially this means using some tricks and hacks in order to get the same basic output.

For example, using OpenGL for hardware accelerated graphics greatly increases the speed of the emulator, but you're reinterpreting what the original graphics chip did and may not get it exactly right. If you wanted to do it "properly", you'd emulate the graphics chip itself opcode for opcode and do it entirely in software. This would give you 100% pixel perfect output, but require an astronomical amount of processing power.

To give you an example, lets look at SNES emulation:

There are pretty much 2 major SNES emulators out there that everyone uses and loves: SNES9X and ZSNES. Both are great, boast 98%+ compatibility and all but the most diehard of fans wont be able to tell the difference from a real SNES (unless you enable special filters or whatever). They both use the former approach and favour speed over pixel-perfect emulation. Their requirements are very low, you're talking maybe a 200Mhz CPU and 64Mb of RAM for a really smooth experience (depending on what you're doing).

Conversely, there's a third SNES emulator out there, called bsnes. This favours the latter style and goes for absolute perfect emulation. Everything is emulated exactly as it would be on a real SNES and due to this, it requires a minimum of a 2.6Ghz CPU with a dual core CPU highly recommended.

So as you can see, 100% perfect emulation isn't necessary, by doing things in a slightly different way, you can get a very good result without massive hardware requirements. This includes the emulating of the eDRAM inside the PS2.

I've had enough with people asking for BC. It's been said many times that the reason they wont reintroduce BC is part in fact that the PS2 is still selling well across the world.

I've had enough with people asking for BC. It's been said many times that the reason they wont reintroduce BC is part in fact that the PS2 is still selling well across the world.

Because it's bad they would potentially buy the newer, higher priced PS3 instead?

No backwards compatibility means my PS3 will remain unplugged and unused, oh well.

So you bought a PS3 for it to be a PS2? That was a great $400-600 chucked down a drain.

I can understand people wanting BC, and even saying they'd use their PS3 more with it, but this sort of comment means it's absolutely pointless you even owning a PS3.

You should have bought a $400 upgrade for your PC and played PS2 games at the crazy resolutions/frame rate PC emulators allow (Y)

So you bought a PS3 for it to be a PS2? That was a great $400-600 chucked down a drain.

I can understand people wanting BC, and even saying they'd use their PS3 more with it, but this sort of comment means it's absolutely pointless you even owning a PS3.

You should have bought a $400 upgrade for your PC and played PS2 games at the crazy resolutions/frame rate PC emulators allow (Y)

No, I bought it for other games but got bored of them quickly. Meanwhile I still play MGS3 and God of War on my PS2 all the time, I would like to be able to play them on the PS3. I might pull it out again when some new games come out, who knows, but right now it was a waste for me to buy.

I already have a nice PC but one of the reasons I like console games is to get away from sitting in front of the PC all day.

Hehe we are making premium themes for the PSN Store but I'm really not sure yet how to do the new ones. They will send us the tools to create them but not sure when. :/

Can you guys do some themes that aren't of unattractive "models" in dorky psuedo-anime garb?

To give you an example, lets look at SNES emulation:

There are pretty much 2 major SNES emulators out there that everyone uses and loves: SNES9X and ZSNES. Both are great, boast 98%+ compatibility and all but the most diehard of fans wont be able to tell the difference from a real SNES (unless you enable special filters or whatever). They both use the former approach and favour speed over pixel-perfect emulation. Their requirements are very low, you're talking maybe a 200Mhz CPU and 64Mb of RAM for a really smooth experience (depending on what you're doing).

Conversely, there's a third SNES emulator out there, called bsnes. This favours the latter style and goes for absolute perfect emulation. Everything is emulated exactly as it would be on a real SNES and due to this, it requires a minimum of a 2.6Ghz CPU with a dual core CPU highly recommended.

*Goes to complete starfox for the 500000000th time* Damn I hate you! Look what you made me go and do :p

Can you guys do some themes that aren't of unattractive "models" in dorky psuedo-anime garb?

Hehe they are not anime stuff. There are some based on the Hyperdesk desktop suites. Various Official Star Trek: The Original Series themes too. They are going to be on PSN Store soon.

Hehe they are not anime stuff. There are some based on the Hyperdesk desktop suites. Various Official Star Trek: The Original Series themes too. They are going to be on PSN Store soon.

Coinciding with the BD releases in November right?

Congrats! I have to lol @ most of the premium ones on the store now, even the guys on the IGN podcast were making fun of it.

Yeah one thing I hate about all those themes is that they just use the same XMB icons just with a little different effect and the wallpaper. I'm not that lazy. I redesign all the icons again. I don't like the original icons that much.

Maybe I've missed it, but they said they have updated the way the friends list is being displayed or whatever.

But they haven't shown it yet? they just happen to not go over to it in the videos, lol.