[GC09] PS3 Slim officially revealed

The PS1 has integrated PSU, the PSone has external PSU;

The PS2 has internal PSU, the PS2 Slim has external PSU;

The PS3 has internal PSU, now, I would be surprised the PS3 Slim would not fellow the two others...

Look at the pictures, it says "AC in", if it were an external power supply it would say "DC in".

If that's true, it means they put in an internal IR, because the reason it doesn't work now is Bluetooth, no IR. Way to slip that in unnoticed, Sony. Might have to sell one of mine and get a slim if that's true.

Damn you're right, I forgot it would need an IR sensor... Frack! That means it's hardware based :pinch:

Oh well at least for new buyers their Harmony remotes might also work now, I don't mind using 2 remotes, it's not that difficult :p

amn you're right, I forgot it would need an IR sensor... Frack! That means it's hardware based

Why does it? If your TV has it, it will just forward the sync command down the HDMI cable. I don't see any IR sensor on the images.

Lolz. Why? You have a X360 Brick, one more couldn't hurt.

Then agin you already have one, so you don't really need a new one. :p

I have two 360's side by side in my entertainment center. I'm not trying to make a brick house here. :D

Why does it? If your TV has it, it will just forward the sync command down the HDMI cable. I don't see any IR sensor on the images.

Is that true? Oh well good news might mean it will work on fatties then.

As for not seeing an IR sensor, good point, I forgot it had to be on show to see the beam of light (they can't stick it away inside).

It specifically says the "new PS3 system" though :/

The new PS3 system is also equipped with the BRAVIA? Sync™ feature. By connecting the new PS3 system and a BRAVIA TV with the HDMI cable, users are able to directly operate the XMB on PS3 using the TV remote control. Other functions include “System Standby” that will automatically turn off the PS3 system when the BRAVIA TV is turned off*4.

By the way, Amazon UK listing this as ?250.

Is that true? Oh well good news might mean it will work on fatties then.

As for not seeing an IR sensor, good point, I forgot it had to be on show to see the beam of light (they can't stick it away inside).

It specifically says the "new PS3 system" though :/

By the way, Amazon UK listing this as ?250.

I think if they added an IR sensor I would pre-order the slim in a heartbeat... I hate having to use a 2nd remote for my ps3....

I think if they added an IR sensor I would pre-order the slim in a heartbeat... I hate having to use a 2nd remote for my ps3....

there's always the logitech adapter

PS3 Slim at ?249.99 is "fair enough", I think a ?75 cut to ?224.99 would've been better but we'll see how much retail undercuts the ?250 RRP.

However

while the PSPgo will have an RRP of ?224.99.

319047856_dbf1ef3e92.jpg

Even with a free copy of GTPSP that is too much.

@AB, yes Bravia Sync is only included on their new electronics. It is software, but I think the tv's etc need to have it built in to function.

I did a quick search but couldn't really confirm that 100%.

I don't think you can send those kind of signals over HDMI. The reason it doesn't work with a fat PS3 is no IR. Otherwise it could've been done in a firmware update.

@AB, yes Bravia Sync is only included on their new electronics. It is software, but I think the tv's etc need to have it built in to function.

I did a quick search but couldn't really confirm that 100%.

I have Bravia Sync in my TV and audio system, what I can't get my head around is why I supposedly need a new PS3? Surely they could just flash the PS3 Rom to add software support to talk to my TV/audio system? Where as I can understand why you might need a new TV due to old TVs not being made with software upgrading in mind...

I'll admit I don't know enough about it, I'll just be slightly disappointed if it does need the new PS3 to work.

why is this such a big deal?

i get the price drop being a big deal, but the slim? is the original that annoying that it needed a revamp?

It's a big deal for Sony :) They revamped manufacturing so they spend less money making the console and more money from the price.

Ah ok then yeah I think you should be able to take advantage of it. I really don't see any hardware differences stopping you from doing it.

Can you update the software on your TV? Perhaps it'll be a new version which is mandatory or something.

Wow, I can't believe the PSP Go is only ?25 less expensive then the new PS3. How on earth can they possibly spin that one?

EDIT: Then again, the DSi is only ?30 less expensive then the Wii... so I suppose they'll get away with it ?_?;

Ah ok then yeah I think you should be able to take advantage of it. I really don't see any hardware differences stopping you from doing it.

Can you update the software on your TV? Perhaps it'll be a new version which is mandatory or something.

My TV shouldn't need updated but, it supports Bravia Sync just now. At the moment I control my TV/Audio system with one remote, and I have to use the PS3 Bluetooth remote for media playback.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see if firmware 3.0 enables it :crazy: Am I hell buying a ?250 console just for Bravia Sync.

Also, rebranding has said bye bye to Spiderman:pp

5vakbo.jpg

+

B002K8Q93C.01._SX581_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233873371_.jpg

=

spiderman.jpg

I wonder if they'll change the current boot sequence with firmware 3.0? (it has spiderman font)