[GC09] PS3 Slim officially revealed

+Audioboxer

Tightly packed in there!

ps3-slim-unboxing2-dsc_0049-rm-eng.jpg

ps3-slim-unboxing2-dsc_0050-rm-eng.jpg

Kushan

I know it's outside and all, but a lot of these unboxing pics seem to show the slim being a hell of a dust and crud magnet =\

+Audioboxer
I know it's outside and all, but a lot of these unboxing pics seem to show the slim being a hell of a dust and crud magnet =\

Yeah and how many people play their gaming consoles outside?

Wind/dust & dirt on the ground, etc.

The ground in the second picture looks like a pile of sand :laugh:

Kushan

It's not just that particular unboxing though, most of the ones posted so far show the thing covered in dust already. I mean, if someone said that console had been sitting under a TV for 3 months, you'd believe it.

+Audioboxer

Wasn't the stand included with the PS2 Slim? (I never got one)

Anyway home made solution = two bits of blu-tack and a black permanent marker ;) If you watch the 1UP video it will stand on it's end normally, but it's very easy to knock it over.

My consoles are flat anyway, my TV stand doesn't allow any of them except the Wii to stand on end.

Sethos

Found another picture;

polystation_3.jpg

... Oh wait, that's not it, they look so similar it gets confusing. Really boggles the mind how 'cheap' the Slim looks, can't believe the Playstation 3 and the Slim was made by the same company, it's the difference between sex and mud.

Malechai

why am i not surprised to see the same typical people being the same downers about everything still

bunch of emos

Vortex566
why am i not surprised to see the same typical people being the same downers about everything still

bunch of emos

+1

Sethos

bunch of emos

SMILEY-cry.png

FlibbyFlobby

The PolyStation is a bucket full of win with that inbuilt screen. (Y)

Livin in a box

The more I look at it, the more I grow to like it. I've been looking at some other high quality pics from a press website, and there is (don't know if you knew this) a little blue light above the eject button and a green light above the power one, so it must use the same technique as the current PS3 in terms of lights.

I'm hoping there might be some trade in deal that I could get for my 80GB PS3....

Black Flash

It's nice that they came out with a slim but I actually would rather keep my current ps3, that slim looks like a cheap dvd player.

AbandonedTrolley

For once I agree with the downers on this, the Slim looks cheap and nasty. The slim PS2 was exactly that, similar design but smaller. This just looks like a pile of Taiwanese Junk.

Xerino

well crud, I was excited about this, smaller, less shiny PS3, and was ready to shell out another $300 for it.... however, hearing about the removal of the other OS option, makes me want to stick to my trusty old model....

I am having a lot of fun tinkering with Linux on my old PS3, so I guess I wont be buying the slim unless they put that option back in there... oh well, time will tell, but the chances of "Other OS" getting pt back in there is the same as getting BC back.

soniqstylz
Let's wait for problem reports before jumping to conclusions :p

Everything else on his predictions seems to be spot on.

I need to get my 60Gb fixed.

Livin in a box

Hey, I've got some better pics I can finally reveal.

dbptv.png

ngbpzc.png

There's more on the front page of that site on the article I wrote.

FlibbyFlobby

Really

here in HD with a shot of the new boot up sequence too.
planetik

I really like the size compared to the original and the 360 but IMHO it's FUGLY. The smaller "hump", the logo and the matte top makes it look terrible!

crazzyyfool

Personally I think its fugly. Looks like a console of the early nineties. Why didn't they include an extra USB port on the back? Why call it PS3 in that fugly font instead of PLAYSTATION 3 in the awesome shiny Spiderman font? So glad I have an original 60GB PS3. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

[EDIT] Just watched the unboxing video. Love how the box for the PS3 slim is actually the same size as the box for the original PLAYSTATION 3. :rofl:

Edited by kraized
+Audioboxer

I don't think it's THAT ugly, it looks cheaper for sure, more like a games console than a media device, but front on I think it looks fine. Having it all in black is better than a massive silver strip. It makes me wish I had a 20GB PS3 (black chrome).

I think the biggest issue is peoples expectations were like that of the PS2 Slim, but that's simply not going to happen this generation with either console due to how much they're packing compared to what last generations consoles had. An internal hard drive generates a fair bit of heat, not to mention the power supply is still internal as well.

Really though it's to separate those with the dollaz that can afford $400-600, and the peasants that need <=$299 :p

sjb20602--article_image.jpg

ps3slim_v3_1024x768.jpg

ps3slim_1024x768.jpg

Also Sony finally able to advertise the PS3 as something that's fairly decently priced :p

PS3_ad_campaign--article_image.jpg

It is a good bit of kit for $299, at least what's included, if you want one of course. Hopefully they're built well, it'll be good to hear back from the first test run of guinea pigs.

ienhz

looks great from the front. looks like crap on top.

and yeah, it looks like a giant PSP battery from the top.

edit: i just noticed, are the card reader slots gone now?

perochan

so when does the slim comes out? ebgames listed 8/24 but according to sony they said early sept... so which one is correct?

Brad.
so when does the slim comes out? ebgames listed 8/24 but according to sony they said early sept... so which one is correct?

Sony.

Tech Star

September 1st.