[GC09] PS3 Slim officially revealed

I think it looks pretty decent actually, but it's certainly something I'll fully hold judgement on untill I see one IRL. I didn't think that the pictures on on the first page really sold it since it's out of context and done with snazzy photography.

Edit: Do either the fat and/or the slim need a power brick btw? Just wonderin'.

Edited by Guest

I think it looks pretty decent actually, but it's certainly something I'll fully hold judgement on untill I see one IRL. I didn't think that the pictures on on the first page really sold it since it's out of context and done with snazzy photography.

Edit: Do either the fat and/or the slim need a power brick btw? Just wonderin'.

Both internal.

1j52lk.jpg

Looks like they couldn't size down the BD drive much at all :/ It's like the size of the Wii :p

It's like 1/3rd of the console!

9k2j4h.jpg

k2b6va.jpg

35dd9ps.jpg

Thank god they got rid of the font from the OS too.

It was truly hideous.

Although I'm sure they have changed it, I think we just couldn't see it because his TV seemed to change mode or resolution when loading the game (it said HDMI in the corner) for the length of time it would normally appear. I think it will just have the new 'PS3' logo with "PlayStation3" underneath like they've been using on boxes etc.

Although I'm sure they have changed it, I think we just couldn't see it because his TV seemed to change mode or resolution when loading the game (it said HDMI in the corner) for the length of time it would normally appear. I think it will just have the new 'PS3' logo with "PlayStation3" underneath like they've been using on boxes etc.

Nope it's confirmed they've removed it, boots straight into games now.

Yes they changed it. :yes:

It looks something like this now:

2pq80ia.png

Except that the font is on the right instead of the center.

dont like the fact that the depth is greater than the length, does it not look out of place when under the tv along with all the other stuff?

good to hear that its even quieter... does this have the 45nm chipset?

ps3slimo.jpg

PS3 Slim	 60GB PS3 Fat

DVD Playback   Temperature*			   42C			  45C
			   Power Consumption		  75W			 153W
BC Playback	Temperature*			 38.5C			  47C
			   Power Consumption		  86W			 160W

*Measured after 5 minutes of playback at room temperature 24C, humidity 58%

Some impressive power savings.

Both internal.

1j52lk.jpg

Looks like they couldn't size down the BD drive much at all :/ It's like the size of the Wii :p

It's like 1/3rd of the console!

9k2j4h.jpg

k2b6va.jpg

35dd9ps.jpg

Please tell me you don't now own a $300 brick.

Its not his

Nope, and how would it be a $300 brick anyway? You can reassemble it.

I've taken my own PS3 apart, not right down to that level, but not far off it.

The Slim is 100-245v just like the fat

vq2s9d.jpg

The Slim is 100-245v just like the fat

I hope we get some real confirmation on that soon. I really want to sell my 40GB fat model and pick up a slim ready for Canada at Christmas. Right now I'm justifying it by the power savings in the long term and the shiny eject and power buttons! :p

Out of curiosity does anyone else plan to get rid of their fat for a slim?

I hope we get some real confirmation on that soon. I really want to sell my 40GB fat model and pick up a slim ready for Canada at Christmas. Right now I'm justifying it by the power savings in the long term and the shiny eject and power buttons! :p

What? The actual case isn't real confirmation for you? :huh:

PS3 Power Supply large image - http://s1.guide-images.ifixit.com/igi/VdKZmuIoCHIRRs62

450V 100uF

Out of curiosity does anyone else plan to get rid of their fat for a slim?

Maybe eventually, my parents are visiting the states in December, if the exchange rate is good I might ask them to pick one up. Quieter/less power usage is always good, and the buttons have grown on me a little seeing as they're backlit, they don't look just as cheap now. I would like Bravia Sync also.

I know you could. But bad stuff happens when you do that kind of thing. Just making sure. :p

Honestly, I don't really see any reason to trade in a PS3 Fat for a PS3 Slim, especially if you have a first-gen system with the Emotion Engine built-in, or if you actually use the third-party OS option. All you're doing is wasting money you can spend on more games. Hell, you could spend $100 or so getting a 500GB hard drive if you want a hard drive upgrade.

I know you could. But bad stuff happens when you do that kind of thing. Just making sure. :p

Only bad stuff that could happen if the person was a blind, handicapped monkey trying to pry it open with a crowbar and a baseball bat. Opening this stuff and putting it back together is easy as pie.

Only bad stuff that could happen if the person was a blind, handicapped monkey trying to pry it open with a crowbar and a baseball bat. Opening this stuff and putting it back together is easy as pie.

Pretty much if you follow a good guide and take your time it's not that difficult. Think of it as a grown mans lego :p

Most reasons people would need to open things wouldn't be to completely disassemble though, I guess if you take out every single screw/component like the pic above you're going to need to be a bit more careful reassembling so as you don't forget to put something back/connect some cable.

This.

Looks decent enough to me. I don't invite my friends over to look at my consoles though so I can't imagine getting worked up about how "sleek" something looks, unless it's something that goes out in public every day like a phone or laptop. Still, lower cost and energy consumption do sound appealing, but I still can't get the urge to buy a 360, PS3, or Wii.

This.

Looks decent enough to me. I don't invite my friends over to look at my consoles though so I can't imagine getting worked up about how "sleek" something looks, unless it's something that goes out in public every day like a phone or laptop. Still, lower cost and energy consumption do sound appealing, but I still can't get the urge to buy a 360, PS3, or Wii.

I think its main selling point is how quiet it is when running. When I ditched my desktop for my laptop (currently using) the sound difference was so drastic. Much more enjoyable gaming and listening to music.

I think its main selling point is how quiet it is when running. When I ditched my desktop for my laptop (currently using) the sound difference was so drastic. Much more enjoyable gaming and listening to music.

Your desktop must have been very old :p

I just replaced my 160GB PS3 with the new "slim" 120GB PS3. So far, I noticed that it's much quieter than its fat brother.

I just replaced my 160GB PS3 with the new "slim" 120GB PS3. So far, I noticed that it's much quieter than its fat brother.

That's always something, my launch model is by far the nosiest piece of computer hardware I've ever owned.