[GC09] PS3 Slim officially revealed

I'm assuming there is no way we will be getting this via 3.00 for us with "teh fat Ps3"

Most likely will be I heard the logos were included in 2.76, but clearly if they had gone live on the fat PS3 with 2.76 everyone would know the Slim was coming :p Not that we didn't already... but obviously Sony wouldn't do something that concrete pre-official announcement.

Edited by Audioboxer

That's always something, my launch model is by far the nosiest piece of computer hardware I've ever owned.

It's quite surprising too. It's been on for about ~3 hours and it's still very quiet. It might as well be fan-less.

Slim is replacing all models, a new ad campaign is on the way, only stills for now (no video yet)

The announcement of the new PS3 Slim at $299, although expected, was one of the most impactful announcements that the video gaming industry will see all year, so naturally a huge advertising campaign will follow it. While many of the PS3 ads in recent years have been serious in their tone with a harder edge, Sony Computer Entertainment America is taking a different strategy this time. IndustryGamers has been provided with complete video of the numerous TV spots (unfortunately, we're only allowed to share stills... see below).

directorofrumor.jpg

Meet Kevin Butler (no, not the former Bears kicker).

If you remember the MLB '09 The Show ads from earlier this year, with the Red Sox's Dustin Pedroia sparring with "Director of Game Accuracy" Kevin Butler, the nature of these ads will be immediately apparent. Sony is reaching out to a broad audience with these ads, and even takes the time to poke fun at themselves and fervent industry watchers. Overall, we feel these ads are a huge step up from the old "white room" PS3 ads (the crying baby version of which made our list of Video Game Ads Gone Wrong).

PS3not299.jpg

The PS3 isn't $299, what are you talking about?

Stay tuned to IndustryGamers for our exclusive interview with Peter Dille, SCEA's senior vice president of marketing and PlayStation Network, and Eric Hirshberg, president and chief creative officer of ad agency Deutsch LA.

everything.jpg

But can it do the dishes?

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-la...arketing-blitz/

"It only does everything" Except let you install Linux lol

Funny funny :p

But it's the best catchphrase marketing from Sony yet, sure as hell beats "this is living"

PS3_ad_campaign--article_image.jpg

We've got these at work now, but theres a bulletin going around internally that Sony will literally destroy us if we sell one. :(

The 'fat' PS3s have gone clearance too - every SKU. So I think this is going to be a full replacement? And not an option like the DS Lite / DSi.

We've got these at work now, but theres a bulletin going around internally that Sony will literally destroy us if we sell one. :(

The 'fat' PS3s have gone clearance too - every SKU. So I think this is going to be a full replacement? And not an option like the DS Lite / DSi.

You should know, your work should of told you :p

Yes as said a few times in this topic, the Slim will replace the old models.

Yeah I heard Sony made UK retail sign some pretty strict NDA.

Ah they dont tell us anything. We all have to find out ourselves. I even asked to be briefed about it today but they were just like

*shrug* Check the bulletins?

Sony are being strict though. They matched the price of the old PS3 to the new one, and we have to sell all the fat ones first! That's gonna be a pain.

Man if I didn't have a PS3 I would get the PS3 fat one. Sears and Sony stores are selling it here for $249.99. I don't know if in the US those store have it on that price too. Pretty good price.

Without digging through all the technical specs myself, does anyone know if the Wireless card has been changed at all. Was thinking of swapping to a Slim for the Bravia Sync and noise reduction, but would be nice if that has been improved too as currently my PS3 is connected via my Revo on a network bridge as it cannot hold a connection to the router. PS3 gives a 53% signal strength yet laptop and revo are 80+ Was just wondering if maybe that had been given a little boost and might be better too.

Without digging through all the technical specs myself, does anyone know if the Wireless card has been changed at all. Was thinking of swapping to a Slim for the Bravia Sync and noise reduction, but would be nice if that has been improved too as currently my PS3 is connected via my Revo on a network bridge as it cannot hold a connection to the router. PS3 gives a 53% signal strength yet laptop and revo are 80+ Was just wondering if maybe that had been given a little boost and might be better too.

I doubt it unless it's a new manufacturer and they have some sort of Linksys-esque "Speedboost" thing installed.

I had a lot of issues recently with interference in my home network (I live in an apartment, so other wireless networks, plus having my laptop, my fiance's desktop, and our baby monitor all in the area), so I got a dual-band N/G router, and a Linksys N gaming adapter, amd OH MY GOD I haven't dropped a connection ever and it's so much faster. Weird part is, I was getting 90 - 100% connection strength, but still couldn't hold a connection for more than 5 minutes before.

People on the GAF are reporting a better wireless signal, but unless someone documents the internals it could just be a placebo affect. Or maybe it is the same wireless chip but it gets a stronger signal through the new casing/is better placed inside?

Someone with both PS3s around to try it out?

Seems that "Bravia Sync" isn't just limited to Bravia goods...

Hi guys,

I bought the slim yesterday and I was able to control the PS3 with my Panasonic 54V10. It seems all the BD player functions on the Panasonic remote work except for next chapter and previous chapter. You can navigate the XMB, for BD you have access to the following:

1) Play/Pause

2) Stop

3) forward/reverse

4) Red, Blue, Gree, and Yellow buttons

5) PS3 onscreen menu usually accessed with the triangle button

6) top menu

It's a far cry from all the functions available on the PS3 remote but who knows, perhaps some harmony codes for the panasonic may become available that will add functionality.

If anyone finds a way to add additional functionality please update us.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....19#post17070119

bravia sync is just branding for hdmi cec no reason it woudnt work with other devices, want to see if 3.0 firmware adds bitstreaming and hdmi cec to old models but at the end of the day it doesnt matter to me as i will probably get a popcornhour c-200 once they are released

bravia sync is just branding for hdmi cec no reason it woudnt work with other devices, want to see if 3.0 firmware adds bitstreaming and hdmi cec to old models but at the end of the day it doesnt matter to me as i will probably get a popcornhour c-200 once they are released

Definitely can't be done, it's a hardware limitation on the old models.

I was asking about HDMI CEC but no one could really answer, don't know if it's a hardware limitation or just software.

i dont buy that, maybe sony wont enable it out of the hope it will sell more slims but thats not gonna happen, i would rather keep my fat ps3 with bc and buy a pch c-200 as its about the same price and has alot more media features like native mkv support, playing bluray from hdd