[GC09] PS3 Slim officially revealed

Minifig

So they're not making any money on the original.. so they produce another one, not upgrading it at ALL and all for the low low price of 400$? :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Tech Star
3834830564_a2fa987dac.jpg

Veronica Bellmont has put pictures of the PS3 Slim up (not press shots, the actual physical unit).

Oh and

on YouTube.

I just saw those unboxings and it looks great! :D

Waylander

trollin much?

soniqstylz
So they're not making any money on the original.. so they produce another one, not upgrading it at ALL and all for the low low price of 400$? :laugh: :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

Um, it's $299 now.

ROFLLOFL

Minifig
Um, it's $299 now.

ROFLLOFL

Ah. I misread, I only saw the euro sign. My bad.

But still.

No backwards compatibility?!

WastedJoker

It looks so cheap and ugly. Yuck.

+Audioboxer
3834830564_a2fa987dac.jpg

Veronica Bellmont has put pictures of the PS3 Slim up (not press shots, the actual physical unit).

Oh and

on YouTube.

Okay that looks a bit better in person, and it's still got gloss on it! :D

I hate the buttons but.

edit: One thing that's a definite improvement is ditching the silver strip, the 20GB PS3 always did look better with black chrome.

Unrealistic
Oh and
on YouTube.

Amazing how the people here on neowin know infinitely more about the console than the guys at gamesradar.

"Oh there are real buttons now?"

"Oh no two less USB ports?"

"No door?"

twats...

Razorwing

I'll keep my 80gb.

Tech Star
Amazing how the people here on neowin know infinitely more about the console than the guys at gamesradar.

"No door?"

twats...

:laugh:

Bhav

"No door?"

twats...

GamesRadar really is the gaming equivalent of The Inquirer

WelshBluebird

Its ugly. Price drop is needed, but surely Sony can do better design wise?

Sethos
but surely Sony can do better design wise?

Apparently not.

+Audioboxer

For anyone interested, it's apparently been confirmed to change the hard drive you flip the small pannel seen under underneath to expose the screw (like the screw we have just now).

3833593927_d80ec49706_b.jpg

Unscrew it, then the drive pulls out down the bottom right like I guessed

3833594013_06f3ccc5b0_b.jpg

KoL

Yeah I read that here http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/08...n=microblogging

With the official announcement of the newly redesigned PS3 out of the way, John Koller, Sony's director of hardware marketing, sat down with us for a few minutes to answer our?and your?pressing questions about the hardware. Can you still change out your hard drive? Will there be a power brick? Let's find outIs this the standard system moving forward?

"This will be the hardware moving forward," Koller told Ars. "Right now with the 80GB we're selling down inventory, and this will replace that model." The 160GB system was always intended to be a limited-time deal. And if you want to buy right now, go ahead?Koller told us the price drop on systems on the store shelves now is effective immediately. We went to the phones to check on that, and most GameStops in our area were not aware there was a price drop in place.

The point is made, though. This isn't a slimmed-down model, or something that is going to be sitting next to the older systems for long. This is the new face of the PS3, and will soon be the only hardware configuration available at retaCan you still upgrade the hard drive?e?

"Yes, you can. It does not void your warranty. In fact, we encourage it," Koller told us. He explained that the drive is now located on the front of the system, not the side, and changing out your hard drive will still be easy. "It's a two-screw process," he explained.

Don't worry about being stuck with "just" an 80GB hard drive. The ability to install your own hard drive is still there, and Koller seemed enthusiastic about people modifying their systems in this wWill there be a power brick?k?

"This is a new power cable; it uses a third less power." Koller answered. He then listed the three big changes made to the hardware: the power consumption has been decreased, the cooling system has been redesigned, and the Cell processor has moved from a 65nm process to a 45nm process.

He also told us that there will be a power brick, although we can expect it to be small. He laughs when I ask about the power brick's size in relation to the 360's power supply. "It's nothing like that," he assured Ars. There will also no longer be a power button on the back of the hardware; it has instead been moved to the froWhy was the ability to install Linux removed from the system?m?

"There are a couple of reasons. We felt we wanted to move forward with the OS we have now. If anyone wants to use previous models and change the OS, they can do so." Koller said. "We wanted to standardize our OS.&quDo we need to stop yapping about backwards compatibility?y?

"It's not coming back, so let me put that on the table," Koller says with an air of finality. But it's all people ever talk about!

"It's not as big as a purchase intent driver as you may be hearing," he claimed. "We've got such a substantial lineup of titles on the PS3; most people are buying the PS3 for PS3 games. They've buying it for PS3 games and Blu-ray movies."

"That won't be returning," he repeaHow many logos does one system need?d?

There is the multicolored logo that has been with the PlayStation since the first system, the logo that even Koller referred to as the "Spider-Man Logo," and the new PS3 logo seen on the top of the new system. So which one should we be paying attention to?

"We're in the process of replacing the Spider-Man font to the PS3 logo. [The new design] will be the logo moving forward, that will be in place on the hardware and peripherals and software, starting with Uncharted 2."

The older PS logo on the front of the system has been changed from the multicolored design to silver. Koller says that decision was made to standardize the logo across all the territories the PS3 is soWill Kmart be punished?d?

Koller laughs at the question. "I don't know what you're talking about!" he said. "We value all our retail partners. They just got a little excited."

Sony is likewise clearly excited about the new design of the system and the price drop. "We expect a material and substantial increase in sales and purchase intent," Koller told us. Is a $300 system with a smaller design enough to get gamers excited about the PS3? We'll see, starting in September.

Vortex566

I like it and won't be repairing my broken system instead I will be buying one of these.

Sony drop the price and Microsoft raise the price.

Microsoft must be very confident to do that when they knew Sony would drop the price.

I am going to forget about the BC now as it would seem it is never going to happen.

Andrew

Not sure it's been posted, but I read on Twitter Linux support has been removed?

FlibbyFlobby

The more pictures I see of it the more I love the look. :)

Edit: @DrunknMunky Yeah it has been removed.

+Audioboxer

@ KoL, as I said earlier I was sure if the console is taking AC-in it couldn't have an external power supply as that would be sending direct current would it not? (my crappy physics knowledge is probably wrong here...)

There's no power brick in the unboxing photos? :/

ps3-slim-unboxing-iojs8-rm-eng.jpg

ps3-slim-unbox-rm-eng-11.jpg

ps3-slim-unboxing-dsc_0032-rm-eng.jpg

soniqstylz

No BC ever = big ol' bucket o' fail.

+Audioboxer
No BC ever = big ol' bucket o' fail.

They didn't file PS2 BC compatibility patents for the CELL for no reason, they want people to keep buying PS2s until a week before they announce a PS2 store.

A PS2 store on a PS3 (with disc BC also) at $299 will drive a stake through the old crippled PS2.

I wouldn't take "never" to be the truth just yet, wait until retail starts ditching the PS2 and it isn't selling over 100k a month still.

Saladas

I dont like it, and the new font looks like crap, i prefer my fatty "old" PS3 by miles!

soniqstylz
They didn't file PS2 BC compatibility patents for the CELL for no reason, they want people to keep buying PS2s until a week before they announce a PS2 store.

A PS2 store on a PS3 (with disc BC also) at $299 will drive a stake through the old crippled PS2.

I wouldn't take "never" to be the truth just yet, wait until retail starts ditching the PS2 and it isn't selling over 100k a month still.

Or they are planning on using the CELL in a PS4, making a pre-emptive look at next-gen BC.

PS2 BC didn't drive a stake through the PSOne. That still sold over 100 million units, too.

Kushan
Not sure it's been posted, but I read on Twitter Linux support has been removed?

It's true.

As mentioned and discussed on gaf other os support lacking screams fake. It's purely software based, you can't save money from removing it.

We'll see.

I guess AB is eating his words right now :laugh:

Sorry dude, I couldn't resist =P